Taylor Swift - Anti-Hero

shakahislop

i enjoyed the sadism of the liz truss hazing
i think one difference is that it feels like with a lot of musicians it happens a bit more accidentally. no idea about our girl taylor but you can imagine one thing leading to another. for like the wu-tang guys with the exception of RZA i think it was like that. as one random example. almost like they get pushed through the process. whereas with politicians it's the culmination of a life spent scheming and trying to get into that position. or maybe i'm being uncharitable. their autobiographies are so boring, i don't read many.

shakahislop

i really hate the way they produce her voice, it's on all her stuff i've heard, don't know what it's called exactly but it sounds really upfront and somehow computer-inflected

shakahislop

This tune feels like a good example of the convergence of pop music, the 00s singer-songwriter thing and podcasts. The lyrics are so front and center, requires a bit of a knowledge of who the singer is, is a kind of mixture between internal monologue and public pronouncements, someone finding words to explain thier position in the world to other people

IdleRich

IdleRich
maybe another entry into my pet list of musicians becoming super famous and absolutely not being able to handle it. its almost cruel that we collectively do this to someone. i guess the riches and all the obvious advantages are a counterbalance to that to some extent. but still.

It looks like a fair deal. On paper. I think most people would probably go for it. But you can't be sure can you? And you have to agree to it without any chance of trying it for a bit to see if you like it. And if you do agree, that's it, there is no way out. Not an easy painless one anyhow.

IdleRich

IdleRich
it was absolutely great. had a real big brother reality tv ritual feel to it. like she was made a scapegoat for everything that is wrong with this country. but she volunteered for it so no need to feel a shred of sympathy

That's exactly how I felt. Except I wouldn't have said "volunteered" I would have said something more along the lines of "fought desperately tooth and claw, casting friends aside and climbing over piles of dead bodies desperately trying to seize the poisoned chalice". And then once she was there she was absolutely willing to attack the poor, immigrants, anything or anyone would be destroyed with the stroke of a pen and without a second of hesitation if she thought it would buy her another day at the top... and then suddenly people were saying "feel sorry for her" - uhuh, not me.

IdleRich

IdleRich
i really hate the way they produce her voice, it's on all her stuff i've heard, don't know what it's called exactly but it sounds really upfront and somehow computer-inflected

I dunno why they did that. It's not what I want from the prime minister but it was another reason to hate her.

shakahislop

for me i think she is more like a tv show than a pop star. she always reminds me of sabrina the teenage witch. the asides and so on. the way the character is constructed.

the algorithm put 2001 on earlier, dr dre and in particular snoop i think have that tv show thing going on as well. different kind of tv show obviously. taylor swift and nickolodean is a dead-on comparison and probably perform quite similar functions.

one of the appeals of the aftermath thing when i first came to it when i was 14 was that they played into that cast of characters thing that you have in tv programmes, the way they'd all talk about each other on their songs, a kind of crossover thing. eminem would turn up on dr dre tunes, dr dre would turn up on eminem tunes, the protege lineage where the next star (snoop, eminem, 50 cent i think as well no?) would be packaged as having been selected by dr dre. the self-mythologisation was outrageously effective.

0bleak

Craner, tell us again about your travels through the American South.

Can't speak for Craner, but I once threw up on a famous country singer.
I must have been ~13 at the time.
Of course, i didn't even know who he was before I got on the plane - i was asking my dad why a bunch of girls were running up to him for autographs.
He ends up sitting right next to me and brother.
Shortly after the plane takes off, I get kind of airsick.
As luck so struck, I had just eaten some airport breakfast food.
i kind of aim my head between us and let loose.
My brother was absolutely MORTIFIED.
He starts yelling about why I didn't use one of the bags in the seat pocket in front of me.
My response was that I didn't think "barf bags" were a real thing due to the fact that people used to joke about them so much (don't know if anyone knows how popular "valley girl" talk was in the early 80s and one of the regular phrases was to say something about a "barf bag").
The singer, i can't remember his name, but he was actually quite nice about it.
As for me, I got banished to the back of the plane.

mixed_biscuits

He ends up sitting right next to me and brother.
Shortly after the plane takes off, I get kind of airsick.
As luck so struck, I had just eaten some airport breakfast food.
i kind of aim my head between us and let loose.
My brother was absolutely MORTIFIED.
He starts yelling about why I didn't use one of the bags in the seat pocket in front of me.
My response was that I didn't think "barf bags" were a real thing due to the fact that people used to joke about them so much (don't know if anyone knows how popular "valley girl" talk was in the early 80s and one of the regular phrases was to say something about a "barf bag").
The singer, i can't remember his name, but he was actually quite nice about it.
As for me, I got banished to the back of the plane.
Was it Barf Grooks?

0bleak

no, not quite that famous - i remember seeing him on a country documentary series a couple of years ago, but I forgot his name again