Films you've seen recently and would recommend WITH reservations

IdleRich

IdleRich
I didn't have the impression the original was that popular these days and was surprised when I heard they were doing a sequel. I'd only ever heard it mentioned in ironic tones with people talking about how unintentionally homoerotic it was.
I remember when my girlfriend (at that time) was doing her phd at Oxford and she lived in a house with this super posh kid from Winchester College, Top Gun came on and he completely refused to accept that there was any homoerotic element, he loved it it turned out... got increasingly upset with each line that had us giggling, think he finally caved in and started crying at that bit when the boss guy is pissed off and he says "I want butts, I want butts on my desk right now!"

linebaugh

I saw jordan peele's Nope last night, if you liked the others youll probably like this one. I thought it might be the best of the threee but the final act and confrontation was a bit basic and drawn out. The best bits were the parts with the ape

luka

Oliver Reed is a French Canadian trapper existing in a savage state of nature who buys a mute girl from a family who owe him a debt. He treats her fairly poorly (ties her up, makes her tow his canoe etc) until he gets attacked by a pack of wolves and she saves him from a certain and gory death. after this im not sure what happens though presumably there is a shift in the balance of power in the relationship and he comes to cherish her. i had to stop watching at that point. i had other things to do. this is a good clip to illustrate the tone of the film and the nature of the two central performances

rubberdingyrapids

after sun. good for the girl in it - she should def be nominated for an award. paul mescal doesnt really do that much except emanate a certain broodiness, which he does well. but the script doesnt really illuminate very much.

version

The American Friend

... plot gets a bit messy toward the end, but can't say much against it beyond that. Gorgeous looking film and Hopper and Ganz are brilliant. Really intriguing take on the Tom Ripley character too, particularly having only seen Matt Damon's version.

I saw jordan peele's Nope last night, if you liked the others youll probably like this one. I thought it might be the best of the threee but the final act and confrontation was a bit basic and drawn out. The best bits were the parts with the ape
Thought nope was absolutely fucking shite. Thin characters, loads of meandering nonsense and loose ends. Classic case of plain bad ideas that don’t get shot down because a director is having a moment?

Decision to leave - shite. Over complicated confused in tone and form. Boring. Was hoping for a rug pull that never came

Aftersun - overrated. Quite dull. Most impressive was the child actor credit to her, very natural and occasionally funny. Verged on poignant a few times but ultimately it just didn’t hit and I didn’t care

Everything everywhere all at once - very impressive and ambitious, funny and even made me well up. Good comical kung fu. Sausage fingers bit made me cringe, OBVIOUS wacky shit and I hated everyone around me in cinema laughing at it

Top gun - too entertainment. agree with everything corpsey said including being an embarrassing second watch. Worst bits are the romance, bar scenes. Fist-bitingly bad. But overall a great watch, action is so satisfying

Funny pages - loved this. Grimy bad taste viz humour style coming of age thing about an aspiring comic illustrator with some bizarre stressful moments, really HD focus on grim inner city and suburban life, tat and filth, without being too self consciously gritty

The quiet girl - film of the year, gorgeous slow Irish language film about a young girl sent to live with relatives away from an abusive father. Subtly paced, builds a quiet emotional language through gestures and unsaid things and the delivered a blow that had literally everyone leaving the cinema in tears. Apart from me of course

rubberdingyrapids

Jordan peele has gotten better as a director but each film as an actual narrative based thing has gotten worse since get out. I think he had one genuinely clever idea (get out) but none since. Us was a dense mess that didnt know what it was trying to say. This one had lots of cool ideas potentially but he has no clue how to develop them. I like it as a flawed more ambitious blockbuster than the average big modern Hollywood release though.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I remember when my girlfriend (at that time) was doing her phd at Oxford and she lived in a house with this super posh kid from Winchester College, Top Gun came on and he completely refused to accept that there was any homoerotic element, he loved it it turned out... got increasingly upset with each line that had us giggling, think he finally caved in and started crying at that bit when the boss guy is pissed off and he says "I want butts, I want butts on my desk right now!"
That would be Eugenio, I assume?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Thought nope was absolutely fucking shite. Thin characters, loads of meandering nonsense and loose ends. Classic case of plain bad ideas that don’t get shot down because a director is having a moment?
I thought Get Out was great and Us had some decent moments but ultimately failed to add up to any kind of coherent whole. Saw the advert for Nope and it didn't even look interesting enough to bother with, I fear that he may be on a downward trajectory. Next one had better be good.

Yes, same thing Nope felt like 3 different films that he failed to reconcile. I left the cinema quite angry

I watched Good Will Hunting the other night and have decided to upgrade it from good to great. Unbearably sincere in parts but moving. Minnie Driver is great in it