Dancing versus dancing

blissblogger

Struck me that there is a distinction between people who are into dance music meaning music that is designed primarily for dancing to, and people who dance to the music they like

So for instance, take the historical (possibly ongoing, I wouldn't know) phenomenon of the student indie-disco - obviously abhorred reflexively by all right-thinking Dissensians on multiple axes of disapproval and disdain - but that is an example of people who, while professing no interest or indeed rather often absolute antagonism to "dance music", can be found dancing exuberantly to the music they like

In fact most forms of a popular music have a dance aspect

Possibly all forms of popular music, in potential (given that the ballad once upon a time would be considered a slowie, for that point in the night when the couples do up-close body to body dancing)

Even metal and hard aggro rock has a dance element, if you count headbanging and moshing as dancing, which I think you should

It's a way of looking at popular music that unsettles both categories - on the one hand, people who think functional, nightclub oriented music is something they are not interested in, you can point at them and go "but look, you are jigging about to Wedding Present / Strokes / something more recent I can't think of" ergo you are into dance music.

But equally your dance music fanatics who think only the functionalist, purpose-built stuff is proper dance music, you can say, "yes, but look at all these people moving their bodies in patterned ways to music with a beat. You don't own this concept or this practice, pal".

At one point, the concept of 'dance music' as a separate domain from the rest of pop/rock didn't exist, all bands were dance bands - the Beatles, the Stones etc.

Then things got more 'head'-y with pyschedelia, prog etc.

But even then, if you look at the crowd footage of e.g. a Grateful Dead show, the audience is dancing. Indeed there's a distinctive Deadhead dance which no doubt would have appalled contemporaneous fans of Northern Soul or jazz-funk (as would the Deadhead clothing). But it's dancing.

Conversely, I'm sure for some fans of "dance music proper", their enjoyment is largely cerebral and immobile.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
love aspects of both the Grateful Dead and house, not an answer but a tangent, Wicked flyered Dead shows etc

even if functionality has reduced nuances from certain realms of dance, music and dance music, you can be more reductive - a few odd souls hate actually dancing, from the embarrassment of being moving blocks of flesh to sweating publicly, no tune or drug or partner will convince otherwise

Leo

Over here, you'll see ads for bars or radio shows that say stuff like "Friday Night Dance Party", and it'll end up being a night of 60s garage band/groovy white go-go boots type thing, not "dance music" per se.

luka

Over here, you'll see ads for bars or radio shows that say stuff like "Friday Night Dance Party", and it'll end up being a night of 60s garage band/groovy white go-go boots type thing, not "dance music" per se.
idle rich rockabillly nite

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Something I've noticed about guitar-based music from the 50s and 60s (I don't want to say 'rock' because a lot of it isn't really rock or even rock'n'roll, but blues, swing, soul, ska or whatever - and in much of it the lead instrument isn't a guitar but a piano or a horn section - but again, whatever) is that it requires you to expend far more energy in dancing than pretty much any kind of music conventiontionally considered 'dance music', outside of maybe the fastest and most mental drum'n'bass. You can end up panting and drenched in sweat after a couple of songs.

mrfaucet

The Ideas Train
I've been thinking about how what is to me the most interesting music over the last few years, drill and trap dancehall, are in a sense danceable but not "dance music" - that is, the functional, purpose-built stuff, which to me just feels mostly stagnant and unimaginative these days. I've felt this playing drill and trap dancehall out in clubs, that the lack of a consistent rhythm and a smooth flow from one track to another (at least as compared to something like garage or jungle, to say nothing of techno) has a tendency to throw people off - maybe this is just a Tokyo thing and this music would (probably) go down better in other cities, but even then some of the backlash against trap dancehall has been based around it "not being danceable". It does feel a bit strange to me though, especially when you see all the dancing in drill videos, especially NY ones. I mean drill even has it's own sturdy dancing.

Maybe this is another topic, but I do wonder if Dance Music was better at integrating or taking influence from danceable non-Dance Music in the past, and that's not so much the case anymore. Specifically, that it used to look more to hip-hop and rnb.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Play dance music like this at Dekmantel on Friday night and they'll pelt you with glowsticks and vape pens, the swine

This is because western classical music by and large due to cordal counterpoint has had to relegate development of complex percussive rhythm. There is a lot of Turkish and Indian classical music you could theoretically dance to, though in the Turkish case that is more the genre of meyhane (wine house/tavern.)

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I've been thinking about how what is to me the most interesting music over the last few years, drill and trap dancehall, are in a sense danceable but not "dance music" - that is, the functional, purpose-built stuff, which to me just feels mostly stagnant and unimaginative these days. I've felt this playing drill and trap dancehall out in clubs, that the lack of a consistent rhythm and a smooth flow from one track to another (at least as compared to something like garage or jungle, to say nothing of techno) has a tendency to throw people off - maybe this is just a Tokyo thing and this music would (probably) go down better in other cities, but even then some of the backlash against trap dancehall has been based around it "not being danceable". It does feel a bit strange to me though, especially when you see all the dancing in drill videos, especially NY ones. I mean drill even has it's own sturdy dancing.

Maybe this is another topic, but I do wonder if Dance Music was better at integrating or taking influence from danceable non-Dance Music in the past, and that's not so much the case anymore. Specifically, that it used to look more to hip-hop and rnb.

it's the extreme compression and oversaturated production. It all attempts to create a sense of materiality in the home listening environment and in headphones, but its suspended in animation. Doesn't really work in a club cos it just doesn't have the punch of the detuned 808 basslines of jungle or the thump of a 909 techno kick, or the twitchy swing of garage. It ironically sounds too big, way too spatious.

Mr. Naga Pickle

I bet I could beat any members of Dissensus Website in a dance contest. Footwork, Jitting, Breakdance, Butoh...I'm just an incredible performer and also very attractive :cool: