Dreams and dream theory

blissblogger

version

I had a dream the other day where I couldn't turn off my alarm clock, even after taking out the batteries. I had it in my hand and it would not stop beeping. And then I woke up.

I have very vivid beautiful dreams every single night. If you wake up next to me you’re in for a treat, but I forget them all half an hour later. Sometimes I think I should write them down. Painful beauty in them, always wake up laughing or on the verge of tears, constantly hard. There is nothing more personal and absurd or horny or incomprehensible. I always feel I have been taught some kind of lesson but I don’t try hard to work out what, because I feel like I don’t need to understand on a logical level cos resolutions are happening below that level or something … but sometimes dreaming is the most beautiful experience, the thing I really love is this kind of atemporal euphoria where I dream a mix of different times in my life, it fixated around my teenage years, that feeling of discovery and exploration but with characters and friends and situations from all over. My theory is that the subconscious circles around the initial fears and wounds and hormonal charges, as the root of the story, so im in secondary school a lot

shakahislop

I have very vivid beautiful dreams every single night. If you wake up next to me you’re in for a treat, but I forget them all half an hour later. Sometimes I think I should write them down. Painful beauty in them, always wake up laughing or on the verge of tears, constantly hard. There is nothing more personal and absurd or horny or incomprehensible. I always feel I have been taught some kind of lesson but I don’t try hard to work out what, because I feel like I don’t need to understand on a logical level cos resolutions are happening below that level or something … but sometimes dreaming is the most beautiful experience, the thing I really love is this kind of atemporal euphoria where I dream a mix of different times in my life, it fixated around my teenage years, that feeling of discovery and exploration but with characters and friends and situations from all over. My theory is that the subconscious circles around the initial fears and wounds and hormonal charges, as the root of the story, so im in secondary school a lot
me and three mates have a text chat where we write our dreams when we wake up. obviously there is a bit of necessary censorship but it's been going for like five years now and the modality works.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I wonder if anyone can recommend books or writings on dreams - the function of dreaming, the meaning of dreams, and how these have changed over the centuries, or are different in other cultures - artistic movements influenced by the idea of the dream...

I think there's probably some stuff in Ernst Bloch but I haven't gone digging . Gaston Bachelard too probably but I have found his stuff a bit hard-going
Eric Wargo has written two books on precognitive dreams. I've only read the second (Precognitive Dreamwork & the Long Self) but i found it really convincing:

DannyL

Wild Horses
Had a client who kept a dream diary for years. In it they recorded a relative being diagnosed with a terminal illness

20 years later, boom, diagnosis came through. This client was so zapped even years later, bought the diary in as a register. it’s an example where you stumble offering any rational support and possibly the only time in my working life where someone has handed me both a battered old notebook and a copy of an nhs diagnosis confirmation pleading to take it seriously. 100% known and sane, no mythomania, no exaggeration, always early for appointments, no nonsense but this episode crushed them on a level where you need colleagues to introduce interpretations like seriality and deja reve in regularly sorry @woops

Weird as fuck world
Sounds like an anecdote from Wargo

DannyL

Wild Horses
yeah, I deleted a post about Castendada, but yeah there's a whole bunch of stuff about looking at your hands in his books and then realising "oh, I can see my hands, i must be dreaming" and then you realise you are dreaming and then you are LUCID and you can control your dreams, but it's not as simple as that because you're really on the astral planes and you might try and mould "reality" in a way that pisses off the inhabitants of the planes, and then they kick you out

real talk, true stories
I've been having meaningful dreams and all of my life and found I could experiment with sleep paralysis as a springboard for exploration of consciousness *or* communicate with my significant other (through weird breathing) to get them to wake me up. Lucidity I used to be able to induce fairly easily - the trick is not to be so excited you wake up straight away which you can do by relaxing the body. Haven't tried for a while though.

i found reading the Wargo book gave me 1, maybe 2, precognitive dreams but you'll have to buy me a pint before I share them.

DannyL

Wild Horses
William James, Freud, Jung?

I read a neuroscientist's book on dreams recently that claimed their main purpose was to keep active cells devoted to visual processing during the day as otherwise they would overnight retrain for some other purpose. This is summarised here: https://time.com/5925206/why-do-we-dream/
No surprise that you're stuck a hundred years in the past.
And that your sources are unread by you, not to mention cliched and unimaginative.

william_kent

I've been having meaningful dreams and all of my life and found I could experiment with sleep paralysis as a springboard for exploration of consciousness *or* communicate with my significant other (through weird breathing) to get them to wake me up. Lucidity I used to be able to induce fairly easily - the trick is not to be so excited you wake up straight away which you can do by relaxing the body. Haven't tried for a while though.

i found reading the Wargo book gave me 1, maybe 2, precognitive dreams but you'll have to buy me a pint before I share them.

I'm presuming by "weird breathing" you're referring to IDA / PINGALA ( left nostril / right nostril ) directional breath work?

DannyL

Wild Horses
therapists and analysts say that a client in freudian analysis will invariably have freudian dreams
and a clinet in jungian analysis will invariably have jungian dreams.
I find it odd how rarely I talk about dreams with clients. It's very weird. I have one guy who's a poet who produces tons of them though. Some kind of training of the subconscious seems to have taken place.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I'm presuming by "weird breathing" you're referring to IDA / PINGALA ( left nostril / right nostril ) directional breath work?
No not really. I would just intensify my breathing, make it louder and faster and she'd give me a shake to wake me up.

Tried Ida/pingala stuff (while conscious) but never noticed much. There does seem to be a pattern of one nostril opening and the other closing in cycles but I don't know much about it. A friend experimented with it and he said when both seemed to be open it made him feel very uncoordinated but I don't know much about it beyond that.

mixed_biscuits

Have you been on the sauce? I said I'd read the thing to which you refer. My personal theory includes it but there are probably lots of functions of dreaming which have developed in a naturally selective way:

The roles that dreaming plays would have been acquired in order of their usefulness at the time with each new purpose being constrained/enabled by the evolved state of the overall dreaming function up to then. eg.

1) function: ensure vision neurons are up to the job on waking; priority: VERY HIGH as otherwise swiftly predated
THEN
2) function: improve fidelity of memories through rehearsal; priority: HIGH as improves hunting/gathering
THEN
3) function: revise comparative importance of memories; priority: etc.
THEN
4) function: carry out evaluative dis/integration of memories from life-course in order to make the organism more efficient
etc.

The functions might have developed in an order that corresponds to Maslow's hierarchy of needs; if the most rarefied needs are not well represented it could be a sign of unmet human potential. Alternatively, if all needs appear represented, the dreaming function is probably pretty well optimised and does loads of useful things in lots of clever ways.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Sounds like an anecdote from Wargo

person had a raft of capital T traumas but it was their dream which confounded reality, as they said “in an aspect of reality”, so your role is to try to talk through consciousness studies and being with a well-read individual and, inadvertently, you get scragged by it too

of a few thousand people seen only one was ever haunted by an actual dream, most were nodding every chance to dream