IdleRich

IdleRich
For me I remember reading about the programme in the newspaper, but not properly paying attention, so I didn't make the effort to catch it until I realised that there was a buzz around it - and of course in those days gone was gone, at least until it was repeated five years later or whatever - and so, typically, although I was perfectly positioned to have my finger on the pulse, I failed. Hence my making sure to watch Wild Palms even though as I watched it I was acutely conscious that I was making do with a cheap market reproduction.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I don't know it's at all contrarian to find it hokey @dilbert1, in fact I'd say part of Lynch's schtick on that at least - and probably on Blue Velvet too and maybe others - was to marry a kind of small-town soap opera hokeyness with some sort of uncanny creepy feel - but I reckon, and this is just my take, that he lost control of that aspect or misjudged it or something, at least at times.

Because it was so unique at the time that was overlooked - certainly it wasn't what I was hearing from all the more switched-on people who had had actually made the effort to watch it, and it wasn't what I read in the reviews. And perhaps that was fair enough, after all, it was pretty unique

But someone watching it for the first time now who has grown up on the intervening 25 years of film and tv - and who hasn't been warned - will find it surprisingly cheesy cos they are not overwhelmed by the weirdness and, at least in that respect, can see it with clearer eyes.

catalog

@IdleRich Really off-topic but you might find this video on Oliver Stone’s attempts to out-weird Lynch entertaining. I guess he did it first in ‘93 with the miniseries Wild Palms which ripped off Twin Peaks much to Lynch’s chagrin. Then again in Natural Born Killers with Wild at Heart. The most interesting part of the video is the speculation about the more or less hidden commentary on and passive aggressive references to all this supposedly embedded within Lost Highway.

Thanks for posting, really interesting video. Gonna get hold of wild palms and rewatch nbk. Lost highway probably my fave lynch after eraserhead.

"I never watched peaks" lol

dilbert1

@version its my favorite Lynch as well, there’s so much in there already that this additional layer of meaning, which seems undeniable given the Robert Loggia and Balthazar Getty connections, was pretty mind-blowing to discover. I’d like to check out Wild Palms now as well. This essay Zizek wrote about Lost Highway can be a slog and includes some Lacanian jargon that goes over my head, but there are some really good bits from what I can remember

http://images.wikia.com/cinema/bn/images/e/eb/The_Art_of_the_Ridiculous_Sublime_On_David_Lynch's_Lost_Highway.pdf

IdleRich

IdleRich
Thanks for posting, really interesting video. Gonna get hold of wild palms and rewatch nbk. Lost highway probably my fave lynch after eraserhead.

"I never watched peaks" lol

I must remember to watch this tomorrow, neatly enough Lost Highway was on telly a couple of weeks ago and although I've seen it several times I just started watching the first bit and then predictably enough ended up watching the whole thing.

linebaugh

The instagram filter typifies the aesthetics of the worn and aged during the decade. A subdued and manicured sense of what was old and vintage thats different from retro aesthetics of the 2020s where the trend is to bring back whats most lurid from the past.

Not exactly the same but maybe related was the trend of the 'gritty reimagining' in tv and film and also the string of high profile rap releases that were darker, more serious efforts from the artist aswell as the return of electric guitars and rock elements to the genre

craner

Beast of Burden
Funny how we started this conversation on Friday and a few days later there is a deluge of articles by media pundits recasting the Noughties as 'the Dark Decade'.

Our timing was impeccable.

raljax

This feels more scorched earth 2020s.

How about this from '09?

Sounds much better to me now and i'm sure this is because i like 'Still Slipping' LP so much. I think i heard it first on one of those 'Warp 100' compilations that were a tenner to dl. That was a moment for me at around the beginning of the '10's - starting to pay again for music rather than getting everything off soulseek and not listening to most of it.

maxi

Sounds much better to me now and i'm sure this is because i like 'Still Slipping' LP so much. I think i heard it first on one of those 'Warp 100' compilations that were a tenner to dl. That was a moment for me at around the beginning of the '10's - starting to pay again for music rather than getting everything off soulseek and not listening to most of it.
zomby had a track doing the rounds at the time called 'Fck Ur Mngo' lol. I preferred that

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
It's only time-relative in a limited sense. What it considers misuses of power it considers immoral independent of context. It doesn't cut people any slack for having just because 'that's the way things were done back then' for instance. In this way it implies that it has 'solved' morality.

As much as it might pain some people to hear it, he is provisionally right, for once!

But the problem is his subjective idealism is an attempt to solve morality, so his frame of reference is the same soup in which he must swim, and hence, his criticism carries no weight.

This was acquired from k-punk, who was unable to realise that the theory of commodity fetishism was a scientific advance on theories of ideology, and in fact, rendered the question of theories of ideology moot. Mark liked to play the amateur psychoanalyst a great deal, without realising that psychoanalysis possesses valuable insights precisely because it is an ideology, and not the king of sciences. It will never become an ultimate theology.

A valiant effort in the circumstances, but still insubstantial.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Never understood why that song was so big, to me it felt like and evoked absolutely nothing. even now where there should be some accidental nostalgia attached it still feels like nothing. But maybe that fits with how some view the 10s

ngl, whenever hyphn go gets mentioned these days I want to be like: give it a rest.

It's just a club track. that is it. what else can you possibly expect from it? Electronic club music was a worked out scene by then. Even the funky and deep tech which was more to dissensus tastes was just 'club music'. The product matched expectations. that's the point!

It's not 1994 and bunker records is making grubby lo fi acid techno or kids in east london are making grainy darkside both going against the stately elegance of first wave detroit or the pseudo-sophistication of UK progressive. Even the detroit orientated people who disliked funky and deep tech couldn't say anything about it other than it being commercial house. Because structurally it wasn't far away from what they were making, just much more polished, more mainstream and more in tune with the inbiza/head candy/defected nexus.