Drum'n'bass 98-99

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Personally I can't think of anything less therapeutic than to be stuck on a desert island with Morrissey's bleating.

Doctors have been attempting to cure this sideeffect of British musical patriotism for 30 years. Unfortunately, they have yet to come up with a remedy, or even an antidote which will completely nullify it.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Tell me more.

I've mentioned it before but @craner villified me.

This is a quote from deepinsidetheoldskool on soundcloud, on an old dogsonacid thread:

Actually a lot of raves really struggled in terms of attendance in 93 as the music changed so quickly. If you ever get the chance to read the letter pages in magazines like Blaze and Eternity in 93 and early 94 you'll see that there were loads of complaints about the direction the music was going in and the lack of pianos. The fact is that a lot of the tunes LTJ Bukem was playing at this time were really not that popular and the same was true to a lesser extent for other DJs.

The big difference was that DJs like Bukem, Fabio, Grooverider, JJ Frost and a few others played tunes regardless of whether the crowd liked them (Grooverider got a lot of criticism for saying in an interview in 93 that he didn't play for the crowd). It's not as though tunes like Music, 19.5, Droppin Science Volume 1 (both sides), Heaven EP, Music Box etc. were really popular when they first started being played out in 93. It took a long time for these tunes to become widely accepted and the DJs that played them should get a lot of credit for that.

The majority of the rave scene outside of metropoles like london, Bristol and Manchester was cheesy high street ritzi gear. Now that is charming in its own way and arguably where the soul of rave can be found, but jungle cannot be looked at from the perspective of your dreamscapes or Desires. Firstly pirate radio, and then tapes from Awol, roast, thunder and joy, etc.

It would have been impossible for people like Grooverider and Bukem to stick to the londoncentric attitude they had in 93. If they did, they would basically be like Autechre. They would have to foresake the majority of populist dancefloors.

craner

Beast of Burden
I've mentioned it before but @craner villified me.

This is a quote from deepinsidetheoldskool on soundcloud, on an old dogsonacid thread:

The majority of the rave scene outside of metropoles like london, Bristol and Manchester was cheesy high street ritzi gear. Now that is charming in its own way and arguably where the soul of rave can be found, but jungle cannot be looked at from the perspective of your dreamscapes or Desires. Firstly pirate radio, and then tapes from Awol, roast, thunder and joy, etc.

It would have been impossible for people like Grooverider and Bukem to stick to the londoncentric attitude they had in 93. If they did, they would basically be like Autechre. They would have to foresake the majority of populist dancefloors.

Is this "villifying" the time I called you the best music writer no one has heard of?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Oh yeah!

You deserved that though, you were being very obnoxious

I don't really give a damn if I deserved it or not. Unlike Luke I am a dialectician, and hence only ever follow the historical science.

Based on the historical evidence it is clear that my perspective is the correct one. Unless we have an archive unearted of randall and bukem playing to an ultra sophisticated crowd in Rhyl, I am disinclined to go aainst the science.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
You were being extremely obnoxious, that was a scientific fact

The owners have been raving since 1991 and as ravers felt that they have what ravers could want. Somewhere you could get a good vibe, not with soft seats and people drinking booze, but a club purposely built the way that they would want a club to be. It took 18 months of hard work, the building was a disused college that had once been occupied by students.

Situated in Leicester with 2 floors, they knew that this could be transformed into the perfect rave venue. The cellars were cleared by wheelbarrows, tons of rubbish and rubble were wheeled up 4 flights of stairs to a lorry. The walls were painted black with plenty of yellow smiley faces, added with statements of meaning all reflecting a happy vibe and giving the club a special underground feel.

When the club began, the owners would ask the DJ’s to play happy hardcore, they would play jungle, they just didn’t seem to know what the people actually wanted.
"Rave music is happy music, piano and vocals, uplifting music, we wanted a club were DJ’s would play how we saw the music as ravers, how we felt the music should be played. The bass became dark and moody which would over power the mids and tops - we had to tell the DJ’s to play piano and vocals, like old school, otherwise they would play jungle".

The owners think that a lot of DJ’s play for themselves rather than for the crowd, they were getting some excellent tapes sent in that were there interpretation of happy hardcore and when they met the people who had sent the tapes, they would be ravers.

Soon the happy vibe caught on at the club and the DJ’s that play there now know exactly what the club goers want. The ground floor is a warehouse type room which plays Diehard happy hardcore. The basement is more of a Victorian room with archways where the DJ’s can play happy techno.

Are you a fan of 'happy techno' ollie? Can't say I am massively... Stuff like Scott Brown and Crew. Tartan techno. There must have been a Welsh nationalist version.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Are you a fan of 'happy techno' ollie? Can't say I am massively... Stuff like Scott Brown and Crew. Tartan techno. There must have been a Welsh nationalist version.

Leicester have had bwpt too, it’s not all terrible

unrelated to the genre and years in question, ’re-enactment societies’ are everywhere with anniversaries et al although you’re the only person on the board who’s recognised bwpt’s signature or significance

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Leicester have had bwpt too, it’s not all terrible

unrelated to the genre and years in question, ’re-enactment societies’ are everywhere with anniversaries et al although you’re the only person on the board who’s recognised bwpt’s signature or significance

oh I know, I used to chat to Jesse who used to run through the happy hardcore room at diehard to the gabba room. But yeah his crew was doing bwpt then ugly funk

mixed_biscuits

A masterpiece.

jj-jpg.284478

old goriot

I’ve been revisiting some stuff from this era (roughly bookended by To Shape the Future Remix and Messiah) and I’m surprised at how well a lot of it has aged. Resonates in some way with the current hard techno craze