Beauty

sufi

lala
... the hyperscholastic forms of Pico’s 900 theses. Cf., e.g., thesis 5>26,
where we find a multileveled progression meant to harmonize conflicts over beauty in different
Platonic texts:

“Beauty exists in God as its cause, in the total intellect truly essentially totally, in the
particular intellect truly partially essentially, in the rational soul truly participationally, in the visible
accidents of the heavens imagerially essentially totally, in subcelestial visible qualities imagerially partially
essentially, in quantites imagerially participationally” (!)

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Bit like Methodist divine’s seeking direct experiences through the grace of god, with god as beauty above all firmaments, as logos. Grace as prayer, grace in a time of low life expectancy, grace in the face of the reaper. Grace could then be a participatory notion of experiencing beauty beautifully. They seemed to pilfer Neoplatonism quite readily

Beauty as inspiration, eg Craner and big bronzed Italian cleavages and the possible influence of Linda Lusardi and Sabrina

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
A myriad of angles to approach from, almost too many. Was thinking around the Orpheus myth first but work is kicking off

Beauty industry spiel is pretty weird - invented pseudoscientific terms/lexicon, strange graphics of compounds at action. Pressure on women to conform is nothing new yet beauty industry’s influence is undeniably growing - the manufacturing of consent of what beauty constitutes and how you have actual agency in enhancing your own. Grim

The amount of women at work who’ve had a botox/lip puckering is growing, as an example. Only 2 out of about 60 if you include admin initially and they both had fake tits too so interpreted as an extension of such. What followed is far more insidious. Botox is way up. Participation army? Friends with daughters have it tougher than we do. You see it with women ageing too. The point where, if trust is established, it’s admitted in conversation when invisibility from the male gaze strikes (40-60), both welcomed and missed with different people in very different situations

Thinking out loud, humans as cities and vice-versa or how many dissensians use moisturiser

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
... the hyperscholastic forms of Pico’s 900 theses. Cf., e.g., thesis 5>26,
where we find a multileveled progression meant to harmonize conflicts over beauty in different
Platonic texts:

“Beauty exists in God as its cause, in the total intellect truly essentially totally, in the
particular intellect truly partially essentially, in the rational soul truly participationally, in the visible
accidents of the heavens imagerially essentially totally, in subcelestial visible qualities imagerially partially
essentially, in quantites imagerially participationally” (!)

craner

Beast of Burden
@craner, could you give us your top 25 Vogue/Cosmopolitan/Marie Claire cover models of the late-80s-thru-mid-90s, please?

I'll give you my top 12 late-80s-thru-mid-90s Vogue and Harpers cover stars instead:

1. Christy Turlington
2. Yasmeen Ghauri
3. Paulina Porizkova
4. Linda Evangelista
5. Helena Christensen
6. Shalom Harlow
7. Tatjana Patitz
8. Karen Mulder
9. Talisa Soto
10. Isabella Rossellini
11. Elaine Irwin
12. Carla Bruni

luka

Turlington had that Julia Robert's thing of huge features, too big for the face almost. Obviously took great pictures but verging on the freakish

craner

Beast of Burden
A lot of the supermodels verged on the freakish to some extent, I think that's what made them so special

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Sign-painter-Beer_Street.jpg

jenks

thread death
I'll give you my top 12 late-80s-thru-mid-90s Vogue and Harpers cover stars instead:

1. Christy Turlington
2. Yasmeen Ghauri
3. Paulina Porizkova
4. Linda Evangelista
5. Helena Christensen
6. Shalom Harlow
7. Tatjana Patitz
8. Karen Mulder
9. Talisa Soto
10. Isabella Rossellini
11. Elaine Irwin
12. Carla Bruni
What no Naomi?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I love that nobody is even trying to engage with whatever waffle sufi intended the thread to be about.