Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Disappointed by the lack of dude input on Florida so far

Also wondering what the british equivalent of florida is? I know essex is our new jersey shore

craner

Beast of Burden
I've got the blu-ray set of every series of the original Miami Vice and I am watching it from the beginning. This was the original idea of show creator Anthony Yerkovich:

Even when I was on Hill Street Blues, I was collecting information on Miami, I thought of it as a sort of a modern-day American Casablanca. It seemed to be an interesting socio-economic tide pool: the incredible number of refugees from Central America and Cuba, the already extensive Cuban-American community, and on top of all that the drug trade. There is a fascinating amount of service industries that revolve around the drug trade—money laundering, bail bondsmen, attorneys who service drug smugglers. Miami has become a sort of Barbary Coast of free enterprise gone berserk.

It's really fascinating the influence this show and Miami had on American culture in general in the 1980s, similar to the impact the equally piratical Milan had on 1980s Italy. Miami Vice was both built on and partly shaped Miami culture which, in turn, seeped into the way America presented itself and was received by the rest of the world: the mainstreaming of the Art Deco revival; the use of pastel shades and the removal of "earth tones" from product design and decor; T-shirts under Armani jackets and the invasion of Italian design into American men's fashion; Rolex and Ebel watches and Ray-ban Wayfarers; the invention of 'designer stubble'; Ferrari Testarossa and Daytonas, Porsche 911s and the Lamborghini Countach; Endeavor yachts and offshore powerboats. This was the dream that the 1990s did everything that it could to exorcise. That ultimately failed and the world that emerged out of the 2000s aspired to this more than anything else.

luka

and hes never left his village in oxfordshire. hes a marvel.
I've got the blu-ray set of every series of the original Miami Vice and I am watching it from the beginning. This was the original idea of show creator Anthony Yerkovich:

It's really fascinating the influence this show and Miami had on American culture in general in the 1980s, similar to the impact the equally piratical Milan had on 1980s Italy. Miami Vice was both built on and partly shaped Miami culture which, in turn, seeped into the way America presented itself and was received by the rest of the world: the mainstreaming of the Art Deco revival; the use of pastel shades and the removal of "earth tones" from product design and decor; T-shirts under Armani jackets and the invasion of Italian design into American men's fashion; Rolex and Ebel watches and Ray-ban Wayfarers; the invention of 'designer stubble'; Ferrari Testarossa and Daytonas, Porsche 911s and the Lamborghini Countach; Endeavor yachts and offshore powerboats. This was the dream that the 1990s did everything that it could to exorcise. That ultimately failed and the world that emerged out of the 2000s aspired to this more than anything else.
just upgraded this ranking to fire

luka

corpsey and version only rated this a thumbs up btw i did a fire

Miami is a sort of Venice, topologically.

Probably going to spend the election period somehwere in Florida next year, Cocoa Beach or thereabouts.

I'm reading Álvar Núñez Cabeza de Vaca’s account of being shipwrecked in Florida in 1527. It's mental. Years of wandering around naked, bartering trinkets with abusive natives, gradually making his way to Texas I think.

luka

if i was drinking tonight which im not id be drinking fortified wines and scotch