shakahislop

i never know what to say to people who come to visit the UK to have a look around. like ok london there's probably plenty of meat on that bone. but then aside from that it's not obvious. everyone goes to edinburgh, oxford, bath, that shakespeare place whatever its called. but the tourist bits of those cities feel like missing the point

luka

depends if they're doing a research project or if they want to have a nice time i suppose. the tourists i meet typically do london and edinburgh and often the highlands.

luka

the advantage of Hackney is that it is one of a tiny number of places in London that boasts some kind of nightlife. it's full of young rich people, like Brooklyn in that regard. there is a sourdough bakery on every corner and lots of esteemed natural wine bars where you can purchase duck rillettes which Edmund loves and eats most days.

Reactions: sus

luka

part of the reason it was ripe for gentrification is that its not central and has the worst transport links of anywhere north of the river. it meant there were plenty of bargains early on. also gentrifiers have always favoured areas with large afro carribbean populations like hackney, brixton and peckham. or brooklyn.

shakahislop

part of the reason it was ripe for gentrification is that its not central and has the worst transport links of anywhere north of the river. it meant there were plenty of bargains early on. also gentrifiers have always favoured areas with large afro carribbean populations like hackney, brixton and peckham. or brooklyn.
not true in Brooklyn. the afro-carribean areas are pretty far from Manhattan though. crown heights, flatbush and canarsie. maybe in the bronx too, I've never got a handle on anything up there

luka

everyone told me brooklyn is the largest carribean community in the united statees

shakahislop

everyone told me brooklyn is the largest carribean community in the united statees
yeah maybe. but it doesn't register in the same way as in London. Jamaicans etc aren't anywhere near as prominent in the US dna as they are in the UK. puerto ricans yes. Haitians sort-of but not really

william_kent

@sus

You can catch a train from Waterloo to Reading that will drop you off at Slough or Staines, take a look around, get back on and you can do Reading in a half hour in the daytime, they have an ORACLE, maybe visit that and then you can get train to Bath, maybe stop off if the train stops at Hungerford and you will fully understand INCEL / SCHOOL shootings / GOING OUT IN A BLAZE OF GLORY

william_kent

my favourite Hungerford anecdote was the shooter was doing his business with random shootings and some old lady came out and ( Tory Voice ) "You're making a racket, please stop" and then BOOM she's dead