luka

The shortage of tobacco, of water and of wood was nothing nearly as important, however, as the imminent shortage of grog. He had not dared to cut that daily issue, and there was only rum for ten more days in the ship. Not the finest crew in the world could be relied on if deprived of their ration of rum.

luka

I been in places hot as pitch, and mates dropping round with Yellow Jack, and the blessed land a-heaving like the sea with earthquakes—what to the doctor know of lands like that?—and I lived on rum, I tell you. It’s been meat and drink, and man and wife, to me; and if I’m not to have my rum now I’m a poor old hulk on a lee shore, my blood’ll be on you, Jim, and that doctor swab”; and he ran on again for a while with curses. “Look, Jim, how my fingers fidges,” he continued in the pleading tone. “I can’t keep ’em still, not I. I haven’t had a drop this blessed day. That doctor’s a fool, I tell you. If I don’t have a dram o’ rum, Jim, I’ll have the horrors; I seen some on ’em already. I seen old Flint in the corner there, behind you; as plain as print, I seen him; and if I get the horrors, I’m a man that has lived rough, and I’ll raise Cain. Your doctor hisself said one glass wouldn’t hurt me. I’ll give you a golden guinea for a noggin, Jim.”

luka

it's a stunning bit of writing, read it aloud and you hear how much life is in it

luka

The fermentation room and the fermenters are also unchanged for over 2 centuries, forming a literal micro-habitat of bacteria that contribute to the final funky flavour of the distillate and its current consistent profile.

linebaugh

Most liquor stores dont have good rum but the one right by my house happened to have a single smith and cross somehow

luka

no match for Kent's 2 bottles a night routine mind. it's unclear whether the royal navy had a pint or a half pint daily ration at naval strength, but kent must be in excess of that i think.