Stoner Rock that I will like

IdleRich

IdleRich
probably you will not like this heavy metal but i like it so here it is:

Well, I just went to the doctor but it's too busy to get an appointment so I came back home and I have a bit of spare time just now so I'll work through the stuff in this thread and give it a fair shake of the stick. That's all one can do right?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah - it kind if works, don't you think?

I thought it was ok as a song, but it's not really as deep as the tunes that I'm digging in this genre. I keep returning to that word deep but it really is the one that works for me here. I liked the ones with really grinding guitar sounds that it seems you can fall into and this Cocaine one is just too much of a normal song for me to do that. I'm being pretty picky here I know, none of the ones I've listened to so far have really done it so well. Though there is no particular reason that hey should want to of course.

IdleRich

IdleRich
There was something that I thought I wrote yesterday but apparently I didn't so I'll do it again.

I find something quite interesting in the way that, for at least some of the tunes on this album, if you described them fairly simplistically - slow and heavy with insanely distorted and raw guitar sound, augmented by fairly minimal and impossible to make out shouted vocals - then one might imagine that they were similar to some of the above and that they fitted into this genre but to my mind they donl't

What is the difference? To me when you listen to that first track in the thread it sounds quite curvey while the LRD sound is a lot more sharp and jagged. Do you lot agree with me on that one or is that merely my feeling that is so subjective it's meaningless to everyone else?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Amon is a god I guess right? But when you have that band called Amon Thingy? are they named for that god or are they referencing the legendary kraut band with that word in their name? Or both?
Not a scooby. Oh, and there's also Amon Amarth, which is a name for Mount (yep, you guessed it) Doom in TLotR.

If you want some 'deep' doom, then it's hard get anything better than Sunn 0)), who've been posted here several times already. They did an album about a decade ago with Scott Walker, which has some electronic elements and at times verges on industrial metal, although in a way that couldn't be any further from Ministry, NIN or whatever:

This must be the doomiest thing I've heard by them. It even starts with what sounds like a funeral bell...

...then again, so does 'Black Sabbath', the first track on Black Sabbath, the debut LP from Black Sabbath, from 1970.

Dusty

Tone deaf
I'm so glad this thread exists, as I've gone down exactly the same rabbithole after finding I really like Sleep and Electric Wizard - and then struggling to find anything else that satisfies me in the same way.

One band I don't think has been mentioned yet is Ufomammut. I thought some of their earlier albums scratched the itch. (Maybe the later stuff is good too? Not yet had the time to find out).

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Lovecraft-inspired doom from Eastern Europe:

This one actually contains a reading from a Lovecraft story:

shakahislop

someone was writing something similar in another thread, i think older and murkier production works for the doom thing better than the computer music production that loads of metal uses now.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

What is the difference? To me when you listen to that first track in the thread it sounds quite curvey while the LRD sound is a lot more sharp and jagged. Do you lot agree with me on that one or is that merely my feeling that is so subjective it's meaningless to everyone else?
This, to me, sounds like Jesus And Mary Chain turned up to 11.

One immediately obvious difference is that this is extremely trebly, while stoner/doom is generally extremely bass-heavy, both from the bass guitar itself and from guitars that have been massively downtuned. It's also quite up-tempo, which most stoner stuff isn't.

OM uses little to no guitar at all:

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
Yeah there's no weight to LRD. It's headfuck music but not really a body trip, although I guess you can groove to the basslines in a proto-post-punk way.

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
Some instrumental albums that might be up your street, for me Stoner Doom is definitely one of those genres with a massive drop off in quality once you get past the big names, but what do you expect from stoners?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Pure crushing heaviness from these guys:

Edit: third band I've posted with 'acid' in their name, and the second with 'mammoth'!

IdleRich

IdleRich
This, to me, sounds like Jesus And Mary Chain turned up to 11.

One immediately obvious difference is that this is extremely trebly, while stoner/doom is generally extremely bass-heavy, both from the bass guitar itself and from guitars that have been massively downtuned. It's also quite up-tempo, which most stoner stuff isn't.

OM uses little to no guitar at all:

Definitely JAMC had an idea they used at times - taking a sweet pop tune and burying it under squalls of feedback and huge amounts of reverb though u dunno if JAMC were aware of them or arrived at the same idea independently. I've never heard them acknowledge RD as an influence although it's perfectly possible they did so without my being aware of it.

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
Definitely JAMC had an idea they used at times - taking a sweet pop tune and burying it under squalls of feedback and huge amounts of reverb though u dunno if JAMC were aware of them or arrived at the same idea independently. I've never heard them acknowledge RD as an influence although it's perfectly possible they did so without my being aware of it.
Absolutely zero chance JAMC were aware of LRD, I think they got it from descriptions/bootlegs of early Velvet Underground gigs.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I'm so glad this thread exists, as I've gone down exactly the same rabbithole after finding I really like Sleep and Electric Wizard - and then struggling to find anything else that satisfies me in the same way.

Hmmm doesn't bode well for me.