an accidental life

In this sense i sit between you and gus i dont fully believe you didnt want it and i dont believe he really knows what he wants

• Haha
Reactions: sus

germaphobian

i like those people who aren't what you'd call high agency but have comically eventful lives, like the protagonists of picareque novels. cervantes for example.

In Henry Miller's books he always hapens to meet somone who is ready to give him ten dollars. And then, after he gets those ten dollars, he meets someone who wants to have sex with him. And so all he has to do to cover the basic needs is to walk around. A charmed life.

sus

Intention, charmed and will all pivot around magic
Yeah I like that, the Henry Miller type character is magically enchanting the world with will, it's just half-conscious. I don't think the world automatically provides for you unless you're exerting a force field of enchantment on it

Luke also said somewhere else - like suspended just did - that he felt it his moral duty to renounce opportunities

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The flipside of the 'charmed life' types are people who do everything 'right' (that is, they don't actively invite poor health by smoking and drinking heavily, or poverty by being a gambling addict, or whatever) but still never seem to catch a break - forever getting illnesses out of the blue, having accidents, being screwed over by partners/friends/employers etc.

Probably some kind of cosmic balance going between the two, if you're into that way of thinking.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
This kind of thing - unearned luck, both good and bad - is much easier to deal with if you're a Hindu or Buddhist, since it can explained by an accumulation of karma in past lives. (Though that could have the unfortunate effect of making people less sympathetic to the wretched of the earth, on the grounds that they must have done something to 'deserve' it, and conversely to suck up to the very wealthy as being self-evidently 'virtuous'.)

Whereas monotheists are stuck with a capricious and often appallingly cruel God who 'moves in mysterious ways', with perhaps some vague promise of it all being made right in the next life.

germaphobian

The flipside of the 'charmed life' types are people who do everything 'right' (that is, they don't actively invite poor health by smoking and drinking heavily, or poverty by being a gambling addict, or whatever) but still never seem to catch a break - forever getting illnesses out of the blue, having accidents, being screwed over by partners/friends/employers etc.

Probably some kind of cosmic balance going between the two, if you're into that way of thinking.

Yeah, I known people like that - just constant bad luck, on disaster following another one in an uninterrupted flow of misery. There MUST BE something like a karmic aspect, because such a level of sheer coincedence cannot be rationally explained (ok, it can be, it just dosen't sound too plausible)

Yeah, I known people like that - just constant bad luck, on disaster following another one in an uninterrupted flow of misery. There MUST BE something like a karmic aspect, because such a level of sheer coincedence cannot be rationally explained (ok, it can be, it just dosen't sound to plausible)

They secretly or subconsciously desire it is my view

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yeah, I known people like that - just constant bad luck, on disaster following another one in an uninterrupted flow of misery. There MUST BE something like a karmic aspect, because such a level of sheer coincedence cannot be rationally explained (ok, it can be, it just dosen't sound too plausible)
I think people invent all these systems of belief - be it karma, reincarnation, original sin, predestination, astrology, or whatever - as a cope to deflect the bleakly cosmic truth: that stuff, both good and bad, happens at random for no particular reason at all. There is no grand plan according to which a man with a string of rape convictions wins a million on the lottery, or a blameless child is born with a hideous genetic disease; these things just happen.

If you roll a sufficiently large number of fair dice 100 times, some of them will come up ones every single time.