WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Anyone who's ever had a play fight immediately feels the tension here. The nervous joking and laughter as they both clip each other and the punches get harder. You're just waiting for it to boil over.

first crack to the head and they’re all about it

version

the-long-good-friday-bob-hoskins.gif

version

I was an angry child and teen, but mellowed with age. Still feel it sometimes, but not as often or as intensely as I used to. The emotions are more complex nowadays, or at least I'm more conscious of what's going on and able to think through them. Any rage I do feel tends to quickly drop off.

sus

Idk how anyone sane can not be at least quite rageful under the surface with the world in the state it's in
The world's always been this way, I think these are the usual disillusionments sensitive people go through as the grow up and get older

I guess this has been on my mind lately cos a) I've been uncommonly depressed and full of self hatred, which always gives my rage levels a bump and b) because of the Instagram/twitter onslaught of hateable content
Archaic Torso of Apollo by Rainer Maria Rilke

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
The world's always been this way, I think these are the usual disillusionments sensitive people go through as the grow up and get older

Nope. The internet brought new shit that has never existed. It's moved power around. It's changed the social world. It's changed our interior world. It's changed how we think and how we view ourselves and others. It's made us more isolated and insular, and less tolerant as a result. I could go on and on. And maybe much of this stuff was already there, but the intensification of it, and the speed of change and the amnesia of what came before has caused severe damage to us as a species. Technology was always going to lead us here, so it is what it is, but it's not 'how it's always been.'

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
People with opposing views are finding it more difficult than ever to even share the same space. Shit's become so extremified. And all the while the fires are being stoked by a deranged media and our own online discourse.

sus

Obviously things have changed, there's no resolving an argument held along these lines "did it or didn't it." But I think it's intuitively obvious to anyone who's spent time studying history that human nature has always been embarrassing, pathetic, petty, small-minded, tribal, intolerant. That governments are always more corrupt than we grow up believing. That people are disappointing. This is an eternal theme of art.

The only concrete claim I see in your comment is that we're more insular in the 21st century. Which really depends on how you define insularity, because it's also clear we're more connected than ever. I also don't see why "people spending less time in meatspace" is some reason for unprecedented rage at "how the world is." There's a major disconnect between the attitude you're prescribing and the actual cultural shifts you're able to point to.

sus

People with opposing views are finding it more difficult than ever to even share the same space. Shit's become so extremified. And all the while the fires are being stoked by a deranged media and our own online discourse.
You could literally only think this if your frame of reference is the last ten years of your adult life.