garish 90s techno rave graphics

0bleak

A lot of 90s music has revisited these past few years, but I was thinking not so much with the visual aesthetic unless i just haven't been looking in the right places (are fractals cool again?)
90s 2.jpg
90s 1.jpg

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I don't know shit about shit but I do think that bad graphics are in again in some circles

They're deliberately bad though unlike the originals

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
sleeve for Colours by Cabaret Voltaire comes to mind out seeing flyers since 2nd lockdown eased but this city is still partially built on acid house and a busy second generation is coming through

actual colouring, rippled waves, just missing a few dolphins and a couple of massive sunfish

IMG_3956.jpeg

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
bigger pay events attended included a Biology and Universe plus that night in…. Exeter, only went for DiY Jack, fortunately a chrome dioxide studio quality recording exists

IMG_3964.jpeg

last of the genuine doves, shockingly bad mc

Obsession had a tiny club night in rural Herefordshire listed at the bottom of the above tape sleeve, misty back lanes in a village called Wormelow, took an age to find driving south of Brum. Proper springy dance floor but way too manic full of e gannets

daddek

I think there are real parallels between the hobbyist technical artistry of these 90s visual art attempts and the technical artistry of the new rave music. Both camps were exploring new computer tools that were available on floppy disks on magazine covers. Bedroom nerd gangs feeding off each other's energy . The computer tooling was so lofi as to totally admit the hobbyist bedroom environment that the art was forged in. There was no hope of being any higher fidelity, of ever looking corporate, it looked and sounded like what it was, suburban bedroom tech trying to reach above its station. Both the music and the visuals.

william_kent

1990s UK steppas dub wasn't immune

Disciples - Wild Fire

LmpwZw.jpeg

version

I think there are real parallels between the hobbyist technical artistry of these 90s visual art attempts and the technical artistry of the new rave music. Both camps were exploring new computer tools that were available on floppy disks on magazine covers. Bedroom nerd gangs feeding off each other's energy . The computer tooling was so lofi as to totally admit the hobbyist bedroom environment that the art was forged in. There was no hope of being any higher fidelity, of ever looking corporate, it looked and sounded like what it was, suburban bedroom tech trying to reach above its station. Both the music and the visuals.

I get a sense of this looking at the old hacking and phone phreaking stuff, clips of these pasty guys being interviewed in grubby bedrooms in front of flickering monitors.

Screenshot 2024-04-19 at 19-14-19 Hacker Documentary Unauthorized Access by Annaliza Savage 1994.png

Hacker Documentary: Unauthorized Access by Annaliza Savage [1994]