1994 was 30 years ago

0bleak

lot of the strings in hardcore are sampled and then pitched in incongruous ways so I definitely here where corpse is coming from.

*shrugs*
what do I know? i've never seen anyone express the same sentiment when it comes to Strings of Life (I actually edited my original post to be less of a harsh sounding troll post) so I'm probably just too much of a nerd to appreciate it properly.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
*shrugs*
what do I know? i've never seen anyone express he same sentiment when it comes to Strings of Life (I actually edited my original post to be less of a harsh sounding troll post) so I'm probably just too much of a nerd to appreciate it properly.

like I said, I'm sick to death of it through overexposure.

Good Life on the other hand is immortal.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
i remember seeing in a documentary he talked about writing strings of life looking over detroit and i'm pretty sure he was nude too

it seemed less creepy at the time the doc came out

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
i remember seeing in a documentary he talked about writing strings of life looking over detroit and i'm pretty sure he was nude too

it seemed less creepy at the time the doc came out

there's rumours he didn't even make it and looped up a bit of the piano of someone called Michael James. Detroit is always somewhere that tends to generate halftruths and that so who knows.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
he actually turned me off donna summer - I feel love when I used to consume his dj mixes and see him live. Not again, Derrick!

I'm not the type of person who wants a dj to play novelty for the sake of novelty, but that's just a bit excessive.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I feel like Derrick is a real wimp name in the UK not sure of its status in the US (and no offence to any Derrick's browsing)

0bleak

I feel like Derrick is a real wimp name in the UK not sure of its status in the US (and no offence to any Derrick's browsing)

What's with all of the hundreds of guests browsing anyway?
I wonder if they're too intimidated to sign up - I lurked for a few years myself before getting the nerve.
i'm also under the impression that this board used to be a lot more popular. Is it another casualty of "social media" ironically killing off a lot of the old social spaces?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
A lot of robots I believe

Probably was more popular back in the day as a hub of bloggers

Packed with celebrities too such as k punk, Logan Sama, Ben ufo and Michael winner

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
A lot of robots I believe

Probably was more popular back in the day as a hub of bloggers

Packed with celebrities too such as k punk, Logan Sama, Ben ufo and Michael winner

and famous Nina-I-did-Garys-in-my-40s-for-the-first-time-with-my-boyfie Power and went frolicking in the woods, isn't England so majestic.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Corspey said no worries with house spam so a few Simon DK picks from 1994 while I have time to eat ..

Dubby house, at its worst, was full of incongruent and lazily sourced reggae and rocksteady samples. Think Garth of Wicked Sound System on a Sunday afternoon (no offence mate, constructive criticism). However, working as a pure dub, with the vocal minimised into short edits or chorused like MK smashed too often to list, my god it’s a format full of stars and that’s exactly what you find below - Ce Ce with a dub of the ages

Cue a track like ‘Tension’ by Ed the Red’s Sample-Minded imprint, a DK staple. It knows how to create and play with momentum as it pleases. A tune you’d find looping in your mind long after any excursion in the hills, possibly the perfect location in terms of greenery, rolling scenery and the polis turning a blind eye to any madness

Everyone knows Strafe but a late-era dub to illustrate how a life’s spring perennials can lead to a lifelong relationships with specific tracks and the people you discovered them with. I fuckin love it because the cunt made me work so hard trying to find a copy after initial epiphanies. Cue a mission to the capital to grip a copy, before losing it among someone else’s tunes in Twyford Woods, only for it to be returned sheepishly by a mate later in the week (gracias B!)

Serious grooves requires Serious Grooves, so a perfect bridging track between vocals to get your rush or plateau on

Vocal minimalism from Italy, all compressed bottom end designed for rigs that punch. It needs pitching up +2%/4% to allow the swing to open up but still bossing it 30 years later. Separate discussion for snare sounds beyond standardised configurations another time

And for 5am when everyone you know thinks they want it harder so instead the entire marquee gets zenned and achieves collective levitational take off transcendence. Vocal minimalism again and a mini-moog (?) harmonic steadying riff which offsets any doubters. Still get goosebumps from Klubhead’s work on this release and, as always with many listed here, the trick is to try and listen to outdoors at volume, or at least appreciate the relevance of setting. Btw, how easy would it have been to not push the production and leave the listener with a 4 or 5 minute “lite” equivalent? Too easy, just press play

Mental Breakdown brought the wild pitch sound of Pierre and juiced it right up. Bit tracky? Maybe but it still has a momentum where, if I ever have it outdoors again like this summer and MB comes on, I might pogo in a spiral of love cabbages. Bit more after hours, heroin house, smacky pills. Equally, a tune for “all back to x’s” getting in from a rampage across the south coast at 10pm Sunday only for someone to produce a full bottle of cognac - do you decline or engage finding yourself ringing so and so for more pills at 10am twelve hours later? Love the extinct world it conjures, cut up vocals used sparingly so it sits sweetly between any garidge or Jersey vocal mix. The quest, should you seek it, is/was to find just the right key as blend bridge

wild greens

Was listening to a mix cd called Jungle Soundclash off the back of this thread today

Any idea what this sample is?

I was in primary school in 94 which seems mental considering it seems I've owned most of the rap in here

I think Da Posse- Strings is a much better version of Strings of Life fwiw

Then the 12 they put out after that is All Because of You, with Lamar from Outhere Brothers. The sound of 1995 UK ofc

Though originally out in 1994...

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The outhere bros were notorious in my primary school world for having naughty lyrics (that you'd not hear in the TOTP friendly radio edits ofc)

I don't think I even knew what a pussy was, still less while you'd want one in your face

Even so I found the rudeness of it thrilling

wild greens

I have a vivid memory of sitting in my mates bedroom with the window open listening to one of the older lads round the corner playing the explicit/real version of don't stop on repeat at top whack.

Was such a thrilling tune to us kids at the time