1994 was 30 years ago

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
can even hear wishdokta/grant nelson's garage stylings in this.
Vibes and Wishdokta were known for operating in the happy circuit.

The statement it was all one thing/it's all house music is certainly trite, but it hints at a truth, I think. the centre cannot hold.

gremino

Moster Sirphine
can even hear wishdokta/grant nelson's garage stylings in this.
Vibes and Wishdokta were known for operating in the happy circuit.

The statement it was all one thing/it's all house music is certainly trite, but it hints at a truth, I think. the centre cannot hold.
This one is like sped up garage house:

Another idea worth doing more. Or what about happy hc with deep house sounds?

version

What is retroactively called happy jungle these days, expressing that very tension.

big choon.

Sounds like the Twin Peaks sample again. Wonder if they pulled it from the Moby tune or direct from the show. Kind of hope it's the former, tbh. I like the idea of these things being sampled over and over, picking up something from each successive tune they're sampled from.

blissblogger

Like I said, the jungle/happy split was taking place in '94

In a way this is inhibiting for the jungle revivalists, you are right. they don't, necessarily so, through historical circumstance have to wrestle with that.

In '94, when I was living in Belsize Park, I came across a record shop in Mornington Crescent - right round the corner from the tube station - dedicated entirely to happy hardcore. It seemed like a striking development: that there had been enough of a cleavage that you had a store that only stocked happy tunes. Remix Records - run by a guy called Jimmy J. Deejay and producer.

Actually looking at my happy hardcore piece from that time, the store initially opened selling "jungle with a bit of happy". But by middle of '94 it was "happy with a bit of jungle"

An odd location for a record store - bit too far from the Camden action, not much street traffic. Perhaps part of the focusing of identity was to lure the new happy-and-only-happy believers, make it into a destination store - worth going out of your way for.

images.jpg

images.png

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
In '94, when I was living in Belsize Park, I came across a record shop in Mornington Crescent - right round the corner from the tube station - dedicated entirely to happy hardcore. It seemed like a striking development: that there had been enough of a cleavage that you had a store that only stocked happy tunes. Remix Records - run by a guy called Jimmy J. Deejay and producer.

Actually looking at my happy hardcore piece from that time, the store initially opened selling "jungle with a bit of happy". But by middle of '94 it was "happy with a bit of jungle"

An odd location for a record store - bit too far from the Camden action, not much street traffic. Perhaps part of the focusing of identity was to lure the new happy-and-only-happy believers, make it into a destination store - worth going out of your way for.

View attachment 18771

View attachment 18772

yes, London was never really a happy hardcore epicentre, so jungle with a bit of happy or happy with a bit of jungle was the kind of sound until mid 95 when it merged with scottish hardcore and dutch cheese, essentially just becoming a ravey eurodance at 175 bpm.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I do have a soft spot for this kind of teenage moron energy stuff though, like a football chant cadence on speed.

blissblogger

yes, London was never really a happy hardcore epicentre, so jungle with a bit of happy or happy with a bit of jungle was the kind of sound until mid 95 when it merged with scottish hardcore and dutch cheese, essentially just becoming a ravey eurodance at 175 bpm.
Labrynth had happy hardcore nights and I remember things at Bagley's, a big venue, done by Double Dipped.

Mind you, one time I went, the happy room - a huge cavernous space - was completely empty. Just us and this one pilled-up kid bouncing all around the room manically, like he was on an invisible pogo stick. Bounced over and shook me by the hand and then bounced off again.

This is a tune I remember first hearing at Labrynth

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Labrynth had happy hardcore nights and I remember things at Bagley's, a big venue, done by Double Dipped.

Mind you, one time I went, the happy room - a huge cavernous space - was completely empty. Just us and this one pilled-up kid bouncing all around the room manically, like he was on an invisible pogo stick. Bounced over and shook me by the hand and then bounced off again.

This is a tune I remember first hearing at Labrynth

oh yeah of course there were happy nights, as there were huge nights at bagleys and co for hard house/hard trance (probably even bigger.)

What I meant though was more that happy was geared to much more of a monoculture. pre-adult sexuality, druggy and very white. For obvious that wasn't going to appeal to a london crowd living in cramped tower blocs.

Jungle is dangerous and sexy in a way happy just couldn't be.