sssoft

was chatting to a mate the other day about how as we're getting older (i'm 26) you have to kind of consciously pick the stuff you wanna be into, like really into, due to limited free time. made a couple new friends recently and they were all baffled that i havent watched a single film in like 4 years, but thats just because any time id spend watching a film is time i would rather spend listening to ratty - @ the edge 1993 over and over and over again

its kinda like when you create your own character in a game and you can only dedicate say 15 points but theres 5 different stats that go from 0-10

think theres this nietszche quote i that says something like 'the artist is the one who forgets all other things to do just one thing' but idk cos i havent read nietszche because ratty @ the edge etc etc

that being said tho i reckon (for me) its important not to be toooo hard-focused on one thing (for me: music), so i've defo made an effort in the past to allocate time away from that to exploring stuff like literature (cause most of my friends are into that), and its just more fun when you're in a group situation and you actually have opinions on the stuff theyre talking about

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
sort of get it, the clownish earnestness straying into alt realities in the same way the thread below explores

understandable too if music isn’t necessarily your primary form of artistic percolation and inquiry, maybe illustration or literature or film is

endless tropes exist about being “into music“ (a horrific salvo of English in itself), from band t-shirts to bellend record shop employee cunts to ‘scene’ gimps to hair-splitting inanity over micro-genres to lazy “this is the best“ takes to.. etc

sort of get the drift away from music too but its too bottomless a world to put aside personally, to be utterly enveloped in sensory inquiry and transcend as treasure floods your ears, or simply sifting through what may sparkle for you on any given occasion, or how different people can open new works you’d never have listened to simply from conversation

how lucky are we

listened to more music from 1994 in the last few days compared to any other year since 1994, its own tale as an example, not from sentiment but from a single frame of context - it opens like a concertina or accordion tapping into @mvuent ’s ‘Time is Bullshit’ framework slightly too

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
but you love to read and are capable of killer mixes, maybe it’s the heat of Spain or just getting on in life

equally, in the way back of the long ago, nothing worse than being trapped in a room with stimulants and people talking bollocks about music they never explored fully or never ended up making or releasing, as anti-sentimental as it gets, pure gakattack fuelled fantasies and while there’s a kernel of innocence to such a truth, fundamentally it’s just wasted time

horrendously tiresome, either do it don’t but sound systems attracted so many hangers on who’d just out talk each other at volume and offer nothing in terms of actual musical exploration, just the same pretentious horseshit about the most obvious releases, rig gear, even which vehicles were flavour of the month and not in a boy racer way like fuckin clones

it goes much deeper than Acid Teds because of the temporal longevity, right now all around the world people are hoofing lines in a home studio with acquaintances talking bollocks getting fuck all finished or worse, going earblind and surrendering to their own creative cul-de-sacs

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
YT ads with dicks drop-dragging chord sequences of synths and vocal choruses into software fills me with rage, the moment they perform their wee individualised but ultimately samey form of rapture hitting? Get tae fuck

When China finally takes over, can these specific individuals be traced and traded for I dunno a box of jaffacakes? Think of a future filled with hope

Benny Bunter

I think it's just a combination of getting older and feeling like I've heard it all before, quitting smoking weed, and wanting to catch up on reading which I'd neglected for quite a long time. I still love music but I just don't have the urge anymore. I think it's quite common.

0bleak

I'm not the only one!
music and cigarettes are still my raison d'etre (unfortunately, i say for the latter of the two)

IdleRich

IdleRich
Just realized I missed a golden opportunity to say ‘Joanna newsom’

She does the voice-over narration thing in Inherent Vice doesn't she? I watched it for the nth time recently with my gf and she was saying something along the lines of why on earth would they choose someone with such an annoying voice to do that - and i said that I'm guessing you've never heard her sing. And then I pulled up some of her stuff on yt..... and she could not believe her fucking ears.

IdleRich

IdleRich
was chatting to a mate the other day about how as we're getting older (i'm 26) you have to kind of consciously pick the stuff you wanna be into, like really into, due to limited free time.

I've said it a million times but not for ages
and I think it's relevant here so I'll wheel it out again....

When I was growing up you had to actively seek out music you were interested in, you grabbed every bit of info you could about stuff you liked, the skill required for listening to good music was a positive one of acquiring the info and music you wanted.

Now all music and info is instantly available at the touch of a button. Things have switched around, now to listen to good music you require the negative skill of filtering out all the bad music and the pointless info.