altriciality

mvuent

Void Dweller
Bayle:
I remember a day in the studio when I composed L'oiseau moqueur [Mockingbird](1962) in one session. The piece enjoyed some success, and it was perhaps because of this piece that Schaeffer assigned me to the GRM. . . I knew that I needed more time to develop my capabilities. I wanted to learn more. And I must say that there were some very good composers at the GRM at this time, and I did not feel that I could compete with them. . . It was a terrifying period for a young composer, because there were many geniuses composing great works. I had the choice of either being a brash idiot, which would be quickly noticed, or being modest and waiting.

Prynne:
Certainly in the early stages I had to write the unloved poems. I couldn’t exorcise them unless I gave them the houseroom of a performance. Did it, went through with it, saw what came out, saw that it was not what I wanted to do, or that I wanted to be the person who had done it. It was an important part of my quite conscious practise to write work from which I would eagerly detach I would eagerly detach myself. I did not want to continue to be the author of work I had previously written . . . It was necessary. I couldn’t have done what followed unless I’d gone through that.

Toop:
Most of my current ideas on writing and music formed at that time, 30 years ago. I was soaking up information and pouring out ideas but for various reasons, I didn't know how to get them across. I made radio programmes, for Radio Three, but three radio programmes in three years wasn't going to do much, particularly since nobody seemed to have a clue what they were about. Having that long gap of years between the imagining and the realisation has been frustrating and absolutely crucial.

---

In the biology of birds and mammals, altricial species are those in which the young are underdeveloped at the time of birth, but with the aid of their parents mature after birth. Precocial species are those in which the young are relatively mature and mobile from the moment of birth or hatching.

---

obviously the concept of being a late bloomer or whatever is pretty accepted. but can we go farther and say that hitting your stride a ways into adulthood (rather than in its heavily romanticized early stages) can be more than a last minute correction, but an actively positive thing? that maybe something special's produced by the extra years of dreaming and planning and frustration and experimenting. the principle of not doing anything super ambitious until you can do it right. or is this all a personal cope on my part?

sus

You're still young you've still got hope. I'm nearly 30 I'm done for. Toast. It's too late.

luka

thats gives rise to interesting questions and challenges in itself however. how do i live as a man with nothing to live for? as the man with no chances left

sus

I think about this with my own music sometimes. Moreso than with my writing. I thought I'd do music first, actually. I never wanted to be a writer. I wanted to be a composer. But I've never been able to put together a single track that I was happy with. Never managed to have the personnel or the production skills or the patience, whatever it is. So I just have these melodies that I've lived with for upwards of fifteen years. Melodies that haunt me. Sometimes I wake to them. Sometimes melodies I haven't thought of in a decade will worm their way up while I'm walking down the street. They seems to exist independently now. They are like symbiotic organisms that inhabit me. They are like earthworms that surface occasionally for food. They aren't tethered to any songs. I have no songs. I have only melodyorganisms.

I have begun to categorize these melodyorganisms. I have a classification system and have arranged them evolutionarily. There are variations and clades. Sometimes hybrids emerge from cross-clade reproduction. I keep them in jars with taped labels and look at them from time to time. I take them out and rest them on the cartilage of my outer ear, where they can worm their way into the canal. I let them possess me for a time. Then I put them back in a jar. Sometimes they don't want to go. Then I have to really pull and tug.

I don't know what to do with these organisms but I have hope one day they may form a self-sufficient colony. They will reach a critical point where they don't need my meatsuit for symbiosis. They will replicate in the world indepenently.

wild greens

There is an interview with Shinichi Atobe just yesterday

About being 51/52 and endlessly developing music theory, in a succinct japanese kind of way

linebaugh

Bayle:

Prynne:

Toop:

---

In the biology of birds and mammals, altricial species are those in which the young are underdeveloped at the time of birth, but with the aid of their parents mature after birth. Precocial species are those in which the young are relatively mature and mobile from the moment of birth or hatching.

---

obviously the concept of being a late bloomer or whatever is pretty accepted. but can we go farther and say that hitting your stride a ways into adulthood (rather than in its heavily romanticized early stages) can be more than a last minute correction, but an actively positive thing? that maybe something special's produced by the extra years of dreaming and planning and frustration and experimenting. the principle of not doing anything super ambitious until you can do it right. or is this all a personal cope on my part?
There’s going to be some plague of locusts in Chicago this summer. Happens every 15 years. They live underground for that entire time maturing and then come out for one wild summer before perishing

0bleak

cicadas, not locusts
the big to-do is that that there are two different broods hatching this year and there will be a double convergence of their infernal noise somewhere around illinois
"The insects are known to emit a high-pitched buzz, or mating song, that can reach up to 100 decibels — roughly equivalent to a motorcycle or jackhammer."
these two broods don't sync up again for another 221 years
luckily i won't have any broods hatching around here this year, but it looks like we'll be "in luck" next year with a 17 year brood native to this area

sus

Sorry thats not a funny comment Linebaugh made. I apologize on behalf of my American friend. Suicide is not a funny topic. And I would think our community would be more sensitive to deaths after what happened to woops.

version

There is an interview with Shinichi Atobe just yesterday

About being 51/52 and endlessly developing music theory, in a succinct japanese kind of way

Feel for the interviewer. Like blood from a stone.