the world of our forefathers

shakahislop

one retromanic cultural thread that's been on my mind, submitted to the public intellectuals of dissensus for a sanity check. saw mirror last night. running through all kinds of discussions in the public realm now is the idea that things used to be better. it's in every new york discussion (if new york can die then so can london), every music discussion (yeah it's alright/shit now but it was better in 92 / 1969), everything in the UK and US left (it was better before neoliberalism / with the postwar consensus / before 2008), zoomer discussion about the supposed glory days of the internet (it was better in 2008 before social media), those photos of Iran before the islamic revolution, discussion about hostel backpacking, plastic people was better before the smoking ban, discussion about films, about how rap used to be better, glastonbury was better before the big fence, any discussion of anywhere that's become touristed out, anywhere that's become gentrified and so on and so on. i can already see it coming with something like nowadays, which is rumoured to be closing imminently for lease reasons, it's such a big deal here and it's irreplaceable.

some of this is very legit. ko pha ngan probably was better in 1990 and it probably was great to be raving in 1992. the other thing that people always say in response is that 'you have just got old and you're glorifying your youth', and there's truth in that too.

the task really is to split these things out and work out what's real and what's not. the other thing that I think is going on in that mix which people don't mention is i think something about honouring those that came before. it's most obvious with the nyc discourse I think, where there's a certain level of respect for elders who are still about, you still hear the accent in the people over about 50 who are still around. it's like people need to attach a political or value judgement to an observation in order to talk about it when really what they want to say is 'look at that' or 'this has changed'. but wrapped up in that is a certain respect for the lineage and the past.

the other component is a restless and intense dissatisfaction with the present. there is a certain frustration on my part with being told that more or less anything that I'm into is shit now and used to be better before. it's hard to write off what I can see with my own eyes in favour of a past that i mostly didn't see myself. I think there is something really common with human beings about respecting our elders, something to do with a tradition, older brothers and sisters, the people that came before. It's hard to untangle that sentiment from the reality of how things actually were.

In the end all of this is about a collective memory of the past and how we relate to it. If you weren't there yourself you're dealing with something that's been constructed, particularly by words and language. The other thing that's going on with some of this is leftist negativity, which takes a different flavour from conservative negativity. The way that politics gets wrapped around interpretations of the recent past is a whirlpool in the water we are swimming in, if you're interested in these kinds of things

mixed_biscuits

The paper mixes societal intra-societal with things like war - they should be treated as distinct, with the morality in question being more about the former. I've a simple argument to motivate declining morality: as the number of people increases one becomes more anonymous and this anonymity is also enabled by modern means of communication and geographical mobility. The link between anonymity and being nice is well established. For instance, in London, you can be a bit of a jerk to random strangers because of the chances of it coming back to you are hugely lower than in a provincial town - and the bigger London gets the more itinerant its population is the jerkier one can be.

mixed_biscuits

Problem is we're comparing today's produce with the best of centuries so it's not going to be able to compete. Most art forms have reached the theoretical peak and can't get any better and the best one can do make stuff is inevitably a pastiche of previous hits.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Scott Alexander issues an extended rebuttal: https://www.astralcodexten.com/p/is-there-an-illusion-of-moral-decline

The paper mixes societal intra-societal with things like war - they should be treated as distinct, with the morality in question being more about the former. I've a simple argument to motivate declining morality: as the number of people increases one becomes more anonymous and this anonymity is also enabled by modern means of communication and geographical mobility. The link between anonymity and being nice is well established. For instance, in London, you can be a bit of a jerk to random strangers because of the chances of it coming back to you are hugely lower than in a provincial town - and the bigger London gets the more itinerant its population is the jerkier one can be.

I'm pretty sure random acts of unkindness and antisocial behaviour in general were a lot more common in the small towns where I grew up and went to school than I encountered in the decade or so I lived in London.

other_life

bioconfused
i think 'restless dissatisfaction with the present' is great strength if, so to speak, that muscle is flexed appropriately (pressuring exactly where we want the present to break, not exerting to the point of sprain), and maps roughly also to 'leftist negativity' - disbelief in unilateral progress towards rosy futures, figuring out how to register real loss in modes of life or knowledge (but the trick is to see also that the losses at present time are necessary vis a vis developments in the past). belief in unilateral progress and unilateral decline are twin errors

other_life

bioconfused
"pressuring on the present precisely where we want it to break" also requires engaging with the present, however. rejecting nostalgia. this might seem obvious but defaulting to that kind of retrospective elegy (because overwhelmed, disoriented by the present) is a tenacious habit

version

The linear sense of old to new's just one layer, really. You've got personal histories sliding around on top bound by their own chronology. We can read a book or watch a film from the 1970s at the same time as one from 2022. These things are constantly being spun into private webs of connections and associations, cutting across public history, activating and deactivating things as they go. You read one book that lights up the thesis of another and the old bones spring from the grave.

mixed_biscuits

There's a lot of evidence for anonymity leading to poor behaviour...it must be one of the reasons why we have fixed names that are close to unique identifiers; in the olden days apparently this wasn't necessarily the case.

mixed_biscuits

i think 'restless dissatisfaction with the present' is great strength if, so to speak, that muscle is flexed appropriately (pressuring exactly where we want the present to break, not exerting to the point of sprain), and maps roughly also to 'leftist negativity' - disbelief in unilateral progress towards rosy futures, figuring out how to register real loss in modes of life or knowledge (but the trick is to see also that the losses at present time are necessary vis a vis developments in the past). belief in unilateral progress and unilateral decline are twin errors
My cultural thesis was not one of decline so much as of an overbearing weight of historical achievement that no single generation can hope to live up to, even a single generation from the past.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
There's a lot of evidence for anonymity leading to poor behaviour...it must be one of the reasons why we have fixed names that are close to unique identifiers; in the olden days apparently this wasn't necessarily the case.
OTOH, in some communities people behave antisocially precisely because everyone knows who they are, because they belong one of the two or three families that basically run the place.

mixed_biscuits

mixed_biscuits

What would help the current generation feel better about themselves is if they created some new modes of expression, whether artistic or sporting, and then watch as people actually break new ground and new legends are created.

For instance, they might be interested in the sport of Big Tennis that is played using tennis court partitions as the net between, for instance, 3 courts on one side and 3 on the other. Or perhaps the musical genre of Shlop-Plop, in which every bar is at least 50bpm faster or slower than the previous bar.

luka

no one said the stuff i was into when i was young was shit cos it wasnt shit it was objectively and obviously amazing.

mixed_biscuits