mixed_biscuits

Two unusual things about this: 1. It marked the 50th anniversary of JFK's hamburger slip-up to the exact hour. 2. There was a great deal of suspicious activity on the betting markets leading up to it, and Starmer's wife was seen wearing a brand new dress the next morning.

version

The standard the Tories are held to is absurdly low. I don't like Labour, but it's maddening the Conservatives are the default. The only people worse are whichever small right wing party's currently nipping at their heels.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The standard the Tories are held to is absurdly low. I don't like Labour, but it's maddening the Conservatives are the default. The only people worse are whichever small right wing party's currently nipping at their heels.
Except they're not so small these days, in terms of popular support at least, and could become the official opposition at the next election.

As always, the success of extremists is always a symptom of the failure of the mainstream.

Benny Bunter

The standard the Tories are held to is absurdly low. I don't like Labour, but it's maddening the Conservatives are the default.

Both parties are equally useless, but the problem with Labour is they have they these great big ambitious ideas they'll insist on pushing through, no matter how ill-conceived or unpopular or unrealistic.
You get the impression the Tories don't actually have any ideas of their own and their hearts aren't really in any of it - which is actually less damaging in the long run and therefore preferable. But we're stuck with lunatics like Starmer, Reeves and Phillipson for god knows how long now.

version

Both parties are equally useless, but the problem with Labour is they have they these great big ambitious ideas they'll insist on pushing through, no matter how ill-conceived or unpopular or unrealistic.
You get the impression the Tories don't actually have any ideas of their own and their hearts aren't really in any of it - which is actually less damaging in the long run and therefore preferable. But we're stuck with lunatics like Starmer, Reeves and Phillipson for god knows how long now.

The problem people seem to have with Labour at the moment though is the opposite of that. It's that they've been caught doing the same grubby things as the Tories and their big ideas are yet to materialise. People want big changes and are frustrated that nobody's been able, or willing, to deliver them.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
@version - I hear you about the double standard, but you'd have thought refusing all these corporate gifts that just look like bribes (regardless of whether there is any expectation of quid-pro-quo) would be the lowest of low-hanging fruit, especially when you consider that 'sleaze' has been a major Tory PR problem since forever.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
The NHS was actually functioning way back in the long ago of up until 2010, look where it is now. Have more stats than Biscetti for a raft of services but no one wants to read that

I’m not advocating for mainstream parties, more that a moratorium on key service budgets hasn’t clicked in yet, eg social care

Boring as fuck, I know, but most of us have elderly parents and relatives who aren’t even close to getting the services they more than paid for with tax contributions throughout their lives, ie democracy as the long con

You have to centralise and legislate for funding to remain within certain key services because the last 14 years have set this Septic Isle back multiple decades

version

@version - I hear you about the double standard, but you'd have thought refusing all these corporate gifts that just look like bribes (regardless of whether there is any expectation of quid-pro-quo) would be the lowest of low-hanging fruit, especially when you consider that 'sleaze' has been a major Tory PR problem since forever.

Yeah, definitely. They're idiots/corrupt. My point was the Tories can do that, plus all the stuff with COVID, austerity, Brexit and so on and it's treated as somehow not as bad as Labour having done one of those things. You'd think the default would be the less bad option, but apparently not.