Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I think Hitchcock lovers would take exception to this and certainly stick up for The Lodger, Blackmail, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Sabotage and The Lady Vanishes. I'm not a Hitchcock lover, so I probably wouldn't.
I;ve seen the Lodger and Blackmail, and the first Man Who Knew Too Much (the Peter Lorre one), all years ago, and I recall them all being good, and all with motifs ofwhat would become hitchcock's style, but as I recall it was 39 Steps which was the first true Hitchcock film in the sense we now recognize. I could be overlooking stuff though.

craner

Beast of Burden
I;ve seen the Lodger and Blackmail, and the first Man Who Knew Too Much (the Peter Lorre one), all years ago, and I recall them all being good, and all with motifs ofwhat would become hitchcock's style, but as I recall it was 39 Steps which was the first true Hitchcock film in the sense we now recognize. I could be overlooking stuff though.

Never mind all that, where's your list?

craner

Beast of Burden
I'm between calls, give me some time! Rest assured Hitchcock's early filmography will be definitively ranked within (what for me is) the morning.

Well, if you could terminate your call with Margot Robbie and get on with the list, the forum would appreciate it.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Never mind all that, where's your list?
Here it is. Some of his early ones blur together in my mind, but I remember Downhill standing out, and Waltzes from Vienna (a biopic about Johann Strauss, strangely enough).

This list was a rough pass, I'm sure if I dwelt on it and revisited some, I'd make changes. Listed from favorite to least favorite.

Screenshot 2023-11-30 at 10.28.22 AM.png

version

92fad6d15887c13aff01196a7b43ff35.jpg

luka

One of craners contentious opinions is that vertigo is rubbish. I dont agree though.

craner

Beast of Burden
One of craners contentious opinions is that vertigo is rubbish. I dont agree though.

I don’t think it’s rubbish, I just don’t think it’s even the best Hitchcock film, let alone the best film ever made.