GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Benny Bunter

I agree. Ignore the haters. Grime is fantastic at the moment.

It is hard to buy grime vinyl. Little is released. IMO the grime record shops tend to have rubbish online stores other than UK Record Shop. I really wish boomkat would stock more. But the good stuff seems to go very rapidly and there is still a lot of rubbish about. (And I have very narrow grime tastes anyway, I like it halfsteppy or breaky or dancehally, but not the turgid hiphop ones.)

The people love grime but they can't go to shows (see the next Woofah for why), records don't get released, and the kids can't afford the vinyl and download everything.

I still think the future is for grime to re-infect dubstep but I suspect the hordes of funkless d&b refugees diluting the dubstep audience will prevent that (and will kill dubstep in the process). I tried to kick start this with Sufferah 3 to no visible effect. It's still the most inspiring sound around... though I think 2006 was possibly a bit better than 2007.

Interesting this...I only started listening to Grime and Dubstep a few months ago, and Dubstep Sufferah 3 was one of the first things I heard at the time. From that I kind of assumed there'd be lots of stuff out there in a similar crossover style that I could catch up on. It seemed like it was a logical and fruitful approach. But... there's not much is there? Some of the tunes on Axiom EP sort of fit the bill and they've been the most exciting things I've heard recently. It sounds like the way forward to these ears.

bruno

est malade
ruff sqwad - 2003-2004, personal bliss inducers (01.05)

just downloading this now, have had it on my comp before, but was wondering if anyone knows anything about this. its basically a collection of radio snippets (or really really really badly recorded songs) and its bloody amazing. as from the title you can guess it covers ruff sqwad during 2003-2004 and its got the r u double f tune on it which keeps getting reloads whenever i play that blogariddims mix.

does anyone know anthing more about this, like who compiled it, where did they get these tracks? (i think most of them arent radio actually) or could this possibly be a ruff sqwad release?
funny how things take a life of their own, this was for a friend. i found these tracks on slsk in 2003/04 and isolated the untitled bits from a couple of deja sets.

tom pr

Nice one bruno, I found it on SLSK a couple of years ago and have caned it ever since.

On another note: the bit where Bruza goes 'cunt, 'ave that!' on Logan's last Rinse show always makes me laugh.

bruno

est malade
cool. i should note that i have since bought loads of ruff sqwad stuff, i even made a special pilgrimage to london so as to visit rhythm division and get the tinchy cd, living proof that piracy can drive sales (and drive men insane).

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Interesting this...I only started listening to Grime and Dubstep a few months ago, and Dubstep Sufferah 3 was one of the first things I heard at the time.
Big up! :)
From that I kind of assumed there'd be lots of stuff out there in a similar crossover style that I could catch up on. It seemed like it was a logical and fruitful approach. But... there's not much is there?
When you look at the whole of grime's history, there's vast amounts of great tunes that mix fantastically well with dubstep, both instrumental and vocal stuff, and that benefit both genres. It's just hard to get hold of them! And there's not much new grime about - it's being made, but not getting a release. There are many reasons for this but... it's a pain!

Some of the tunes on Axiom EP sort of fit the bill and they've been the most exciting things I've heard recently. It sounds like the way forward to these ears.
Too right - the axiom EP is a great example and the combination of grime's sticky / swingy / short-stopping / electro-breaking rhythms with dubstep's bass science could be killer (and in many ways a return to the halcyon days of 2005). But I can't it happening, even though that's what I'm trying to make right now. I'll tell you something though - good grime instrumentals are harder to make than good dubstep.

blubeat

blubeat
I still think the future is for grime to re-infect dubstep but I suspect the hordes of funkless d&b refugees diluting the dubstep audience will prevent that (and will kill dubstep in the process). I tried to kick start this with Sufferah 3 to no visible effect. It's still the most inspiring sound around... though I think 2006 was possibly a bit better than 2007.

Yeah, Dubstep Suferah 3 with all that grime had me bouncing off walls. It was also why I liked Rinse:01 - not because of the standard of the dubstep on there (before BenUFO pounces!) but the mix of Dubstep & Grime. The bar was that for the most part that Grime wasn't dance-music as much as Dubstep...but now so much of it is.

By the way John/Paul - I presume you have heard or now own Cotti ft Doctor: Badman Thing? If that's not the soundtrack to Woofah I don't what is! Dubstep producer, dancehall rhythms, ragga and grime vocals :D. The track kills me and is massive dancefloor action.

Please just start a Woofah nightclub!! It would have Logan Sama and Trevor Saxon + Tippa Irie...as residents LOL!

Last edited:

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
I know we have this discussion over and over again, but is dubstep really dead? It's such a cliche, but I really did go off the genre for a bit, but now I feel like there's enough labels doing interesting things for me to be enthusiastic again. I can pretty much leave things like Caspa and Rusko and be happy to listen to Martyn and Peverelist. Maybe its because I live in Scotland and thus don't go out to a lot of dubstep nights, and that means i'm falsely enthusiastic. Thoughts?

funny how things take a life of their own, this was for a friend. i found these tracks on slsk in 2003/04 and isolated the untitled bits from a couple of deja sets.

wow

many thanks for it, even if it was not intended for wider distribution, r u dubble f has made my day so many times you wouldnt believe

benjybars

village elder.
I know we have this discussion over and over again, but is dubstep really dead? It's such a cliche, but I really did go off the genre for a bit, but now I feel like there's enough labels doing interesting things for me to be enthusiastic again. I can pretty much leave things like Caspa and Rusko and be happy to listen to Martyn and Peverelist. Maybe its because I live in Scotland and thus don't go out to a lot of dubstep nights, and that means i'm falsely enthusiastic. Thoughts?

course it's not dead. there's BARE different suff coming out. (and why would you want to leave caspa and rusko?!;))

anyway, yes there should DEFINITELY be a woofah clubnight with logan as resident! would be sick.

also i've heard that cotti and badness tune on four different occassions now, and it really isn't the dancefloor devastation some people have made out. it's a bit like stageshow riddim - strangely not very danceable to. (still a massive tune tho).

i think the woofah night should be held at the west indian cultural centre in wood green.. i've been wanting to put on a grime night there for ages. get chipmunk, double s, scorcher all the north MCs down. one day...

Last edited:

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
This is it! Dubstep and grime work great on their own but in combination, at their best, it's just amazing... though an admixture of old ardkore, 2step and dancehall is even better... but dubstep isn't dead. Blackdown has new material we haven't heard yet! Plus Martyn has a pile of new tracks - he tells me there's some VERY interesting remixes coming out. Vex'd will have a new album soon (and some AMAZING remixes). Kode is on fire... there's a whole stiff-legged electro influenced movement going on that I haven't even heard yet... the forthcoming Scuba LP is FANTASTIC (and will divide opinion!) and you can read all about it in the next issue of Woofah - serious preview business there... Mala's making new stuff... there's this shonky new artist called Grievous Angel :cool:... and yes, Caspa / Rusko / Others stuff may not always be that deep but there's some wickedly good (ardkore!) stuff in there. The quality ratio may be dropping a bit in dubstep but the hipsters have written it off much too quickly (they always do) - though yes, Stage Show is better than 99% of 2007's dubstep tracks... if only you could buy the damn thing.

I haven't even heard that Cotti tune! I've been out of the country so much for the last few months that if it's not Martyn / 2562 / TRG, I haven't really been on it (quite like the new Se7en gear and am pissed I missed the Benga promo though). Maybe this is the tune to "turn" John? :)

A Woofah club night would be fantastic, even if it was a one off. It's a dream, a hope, an ambition... but look at Bash. Best club in the world... but loads of effort and cost money. There's no way I can ask John to take on anything more right now (!) and Sheffield isn't the right place for it. If we didn't have kids...

Now... can anyone tell me of any new(ish) grime releases worth going after? You know what I like... high tek halfstep tombstone-vocalled deepness and banging breaky stuff...

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
Ah i'm glad people agree with me. Someone saying that both minimal and dubstep were dead in another thread was nearly too much for my poor soul to bear.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
i really wished Skepta had put out a couple of vocal EP's of this like last july...
Agreed. SERIOUS. I mean, you'd need maybe three EPs of it and just do a fuck off version excursion with it on the decks. That would just be mental.

Similar note: the Sonar riddim. I have ten minutes of it in a tatty mp3 from slsk. Did this ever come out??? I have done some searches and found nothing!

nomos

Administrator
it's not dead, it's all over the place. the volume of music coming out now is astounding it's just that so much of it is so dull and formulaic as to appear lifeless. there's clearly loads of great stuff about still though. but increasingly i think you'll see the more innovative and experimentally-minded artists drifting away from the name (a) because it's so linked to a particular sound now and (b) because they're working out new ideas that start bleeding into other types of music and styles without names yet. shackleton has made the clearest break so far. kode9 is certainly working the peripheries. dubstep will probably persist the way dnb has, having good and bad periods with overall diminishing returns but it's still a fertile substrate for new things. also, you'll always have new waves of fans coming in - for whom everything is new - having their honeymoon periods as others are ending theirs.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Now... can anyone tell me of any new(ish) grime releases worth going after? You know what I like... high tek halfstep tombstone-vocalled deepness and banging breaky stuff...

Basically your only option vinyl-wise is to look to Logan's Adamantium imprint. He's put out loads of big tracks, including Stageshow Riddim (with Rockstar and Reggae on the flip - both excellent Skepta tracks), Nasty Jack's My Name Is (the riddim for this would be right up your alley - grime meets bashment business), Stryder's Mainstream Money/Sorry You Are, a must-have Dexplicit release (includes BOTH Steamtrain and Wakadoosa! phew!), Skepta's Match of the Day riddim and loads of classics like Ruff Sqwad's From A Place, Mercston's Good Old Days and Wiley's Gangsterz. Look for the Maniac Devil EP out now on promo.

Beyond that you haven't really got much else going on. The Zumpi Hunter Central EP is a definate must-have though, out on Aftershock. Wiley white labels come and go here and there as well, as they always have, but at a much, much slower rate now.

I'm really gutted I don't own the entire Adamantium back catalogue actually - I'm sure a few of the earlier releases are unavailable now. I'm almost positive that Ripperman one is, but luckily I own that one.

Last edited:

blubeat

blubeat
Dubstep's not dead....not even resting it's just that Grime is soooo good right now (or so some of us think) that we'd love to see it get some more airplay and Dubstep nights are the logical choice.

Badman Thing:
There's DSF talk of this surfacing on Soul Jazz and you'd probably find out more from Cotti.

Also I think Peng Food is out now and the Skengman mode alone is worth £6.99
http://www.ukrecordshop.com/item/frisco-peng-food.html

john eden

male pale and stale
Badman Thing:
There's DSF talk of this surfacing on Soul Jazz and you'd probably find out more from Cotti.

Ah! I have heard this and didn't realise it was either dubstep or Cotti.

Which is good! ;)

Where the fuck did I hear it tho?!

Anyway - lack of Stageshow vocals is a travesty agreed. Big up Logan tho. Hopefully he'll be the anchor for the good ship Grime and we'll see the tide turning soon (to mix my nautical metaphors).

Thanks for the tip off on peng food.

The eskibeat "hard days working" mixtape is available from avalanche now too:
http://shop.avalanchemusichut.com/e...ctPath=/Shops/es105224_shop/Products/ERBCD003