GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

onetone

ok, strange wiley related question, in his early bars wiley says 'i've being doing this since coventry cross' - anybody knows what he means?

The coventry cross is a pub in coventry with a high music following, maybe he did his first gig there? Only thing i can think of!

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Has anyone heard the new Kano mixtape yet?

I've heard that the promo version is in circulation already. Anyone heard it yet? I think it's called "MC No. 1" or something to that effect.

One.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I've heard that the promo version is in circulation already. Anyone heard it yet? I think it's called "MC No. 1" or something to that effect.

One.

It's fucking embarrassing, don't even bother with it.

Kano will never cease to amaze me. He is something of a prodigy as a grime MC and earned himself a pretty much unanimous rating in the grime community in his N.A.S.T.Y. days. Then he signs a major deal to try and make some money from the pop market by making really watered down, American-biting hip-hop. He receives loads of criticism for both his efforts, doesn't do so well in the pop charts like he wanted to (ultimately getting him dropped from his label), and loses almost all of the respect he had on the street. However, during this time he does those tracks "Grime MC" and "Is This Grimey Enough", two certifiably grime tracks, and everyone loses their shit for them.

So he comes back, tail between his legs from getting dropped, and decide to do a street mixtape FULL of ill-advised hip-hop beats ("My Name Is", "Crank Dat", "Dead Presidents") that comes off like he's doing karaoke, uninspired flows and lyrics, and almost no grime at all - despite his ability to likely be able to get ANY dub from ANY producer because for some reason his name still carries weight. Someone must be buying it, but fuck if I know who, because it really seems like no one is interested in it. Kano is basically MC No. 18 right now, and it's bizarre he isn't getting the hint.

At least Dizzee left grime behind to do something he's good at, and that works well commercially.

This guy needs a manager ASAP. Or a good one.

Last edited:
agree 100%

My reaction to his last album was that it was a waste of stolen wi-fi and i had deleted it by the time my rapidshare 'you have 71 mins' period had expired.

I got this free from ukrs and it isn't worth the p&p. Fuckin shameful.

Immryr

@bun-u: i agree with ben, PLEASE keep putting out grime 12s. i'm trying to stay being a purest grime dj, but being up in newcastle and not knowing any producers in the scene it is becoming increasingly difficult. even logan has given up these days. PLEASE KEEP PUTTING OUT RECORDS!!

bun-u

Trumpet Police
thanks & no worries - p money 'what did he say?' is out soon, then some more, truss

as a coventry kid, i always wondered about those bars - i know coventry cross had some jungle nights way back when, but assumed a namesake in london (or that i was just mishearing)

Benny Bunter

@bun-u: i agree with ben, PLEASE keep putting out grime 12s. i'm trying to stay being a purest grime dj, but being up in newcastle and not knowing any producers in the scene it is becoming increasingly difficult. even logan has given up these days. PLEASE KEEP PUTTING OUT RECORDS!!

Keep the faith fella! Was well chuffed to meet someone from round our way who actually likes grime, let alone dj grime. I appreciate it must be bloody hard work and pretty disheartening for you at the minute.

Whats the deal here? Just why is it so few vinyl releases are coming out? I've only got into grime relatively recently and I've definitely missed the boat big-time it seems. Mixtapes are all well and good, but I'd much rather have more stuff like the NHNH releases coming out. Surely theres still a market for them, even if it is a small-scale niche market...

*sigh...*

Immryr

ha yeah, i sort of half remember meeting you benny. i was very drunk. dont ask gareth what happened after we left the pub!!

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Whats the deal here? Just why is it so few vinyl releases are coming out? I've only got into grime relatively recently and I've definitely missed the boat big-time it seems. Mixtapes are all well and good, but I'd much rather have more stuff like the NHNH releases coming out. Surely theres still a market for them, even if it is a small-scale niche market...

*sigh...*

7-8 quid for a vinyl with maybe two tracks and instrumentals on it?
or 5-6 quid for a CD you can play on your CD decks or Serato with 18 tracks on it?

I think that combined with how small the grime community is, how young a lot of the listeners are (all very internet savvy and likely horrified at the idea of actually paying for music), and not a very strong rave scene (no initiative for DJs, no money in it) is your reason.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Huh?

It's fucking embarrassing, don't even bother with it.

Kano will never cease to amaze me. He is something of a prodigy as a grime MC and earned himself a pretty much unanimous rating in the grime community in his N.A.S.T.Y. days. Then he signs a major deal to try and make some money from the pop market by making really watered down, American-biting hip-hop. He receives loads of criticism for both his efforts, doesn't do so well in the pop charts like he wanted to (ultimately getting him dropped from his label), and loses almost all of the respect he had on the street. However, during this time he does those tracks "Grime MC" and "Is This Grimey Enough", two certifiably grime tracks, and everyone loses their shit for them.

So he comes back, tail between his legs from getting dropped, and decide to do a street mixtape FULL of ill-advised hip-hop beats ("My Name Is", "Crank Dat", "Dead Presidents") that comes off like he's doing karaoke, uninspired flows and lyrics, and almost no grime at all - despite his ability to likely be able to get ANY dub from ANY producer because for some reason his name still carries weight. Someone must be buying it, but fuck if I know who, because it really seems like no one is interested in it. Kano is basically MC No. 18 right now, and it's bizarre he isn't getting the hint.

At least Dizzee left grime behind to do something he's good at, and that works well commercially.

This guy needs a manager ASAP. Or a good one.

So is it that you're disappointed that it isn't Grime enough? I refuse to believe that Kano's gonna spit wack shit regardless of what the instrumental is. I'll check it out anyways because between "Beats & Bars" and "Kano Mixtape" I just can't fathom this mixtape being complete trash.

One.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
So is it that you're disappointed that it isn't Grime enough?

Exactly. I'm disappointed that Kano chooses to make poor music that only requires half of his ability chasing an impossible dream that no one supports instead of doing what he really excels at, and what his fans actually want to hear, which is an incredible genre-defining grime MC.

I mean perhaps from an American hip hop head's perspective, he sounds pretty nice on those mixtapes, but he just ISN'T a hip hop artist. You line those up with his sets with N.A.S.T.Y. on Deja Vu, or some of his early tracks like Ps and Qs, Boys Love Girls, What Have U Done, or his work with N.A.S.T.Y. and there is frankly no comparison at all.

Apparently he is listening to the voice of reason though according to Hyperfrank:

hyperfrank said:
However let's not give up just yet, 140 grime street is set for an independent release this year and Davinche, Skepta, Rapid and Mikee J are confirmed on production and a track from Maniac is in talks. Come back to us Kano...

... which sounds great, but I'm not holding my breath. A great old school Kano flow over a Rapid beat would probably make my year though - or a Maniac one for that matter.

Last edited:

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Okay then...

Exactly. I'm disappointed that Kano chooses to make poor music that only requires half of his ability chasing an impossible dream that no one supports instead of doing what he really excels at, and what his fans actually want to hear, which is an incredible genre-defining grime MC.

I mean perhaps from an American hip hop head's perspective, he sounds pretty nice on those mixtapes, but he just ISN'T a hip hop artist. You line those up with his sets with N.A.S.T.Y. on Deja Vu, or some of his early tracks like Ps and Qs, Boys Love Girls, What Have U Done, or his work with N.A.S.T.Y. and there is frankly no comparison at all.

Apparently he is listening to the voice of reason though according to Hyperfrank:

... which sounds great, but I'm not holding my breath. A great old school Kano flow over a Rapid beat would probably make my year though - or a Maniac one for that matter.

From that perspective, what you said all makes perfect sense then. I appreciate the clarification, Sick Boy.

One.

luka

Tempz vs Ghetto

i just listened to this... i dunno if you lot know newham, but... i went maryland primary and went college in greengate. now, these two places are like 30mins walk from each other and they're the tiniest corners of plaistow and stratford you could ever imagine. as in a few streets. its weird hearing people warring like that....