GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Blackdown

nexKeysound
yeah i reached. kinda weird one, between the subdued crowd, the anodyne surroundings, the powerful yet harsh soundsystem and the v cold weather. by the end it was full too.

Mr H

Logan Sama said:
And a series of free mixes in a more similar vein to the RWD cd where the biggest popular tracks are mixed together quickly to give people a lively cd of hot Grime tracks to listen to should they want as an alternative to the abundance of hip hop and rap cds people tend to listen to in their cars over here.
Noticed that New York Magazine thought the RWD mix was the best of the year Logan..

http://newyorkmetro.com/nymetro/arts/cultureawards/15286/index1.html

Blackdown said:
yeah i reached. kinda weird one, between the subdued crowd, the anodyne surroundings, the powerful yet harsh soundsystem and the v cold weather. by the end it was full too.
yeah, doesn't look like there was much dancing or energy in the place. my best night of the year was probably seeing roll deep here in edinburgh where we're kinda starved on the grime front and the crowd was well up for it.

gumdrops

thought the rinsessions night was really good but the sound was really harsh. it was almost painful at times as the mcs were all shouting plus their mics seemed to be turned right up which was a bit jarring. i had hoped the mcs would be on a stage or something, not stuck in the dj booth with those crappy tv screens in the background. i left about 3.30 when a bunch of mediocre slew dem mcs (or people in their crew) started grabbing the mic. the venue itself was pretty devoid of atmosphere but people seemed into it, one of the girls on the door said the upstairs would open up when more people came in but it didnt happen. it was odd that there want that much dancing but there wasnt that much audience reaction on the whole. most people stood numbly/blankly/moodily and fixated on the MCs the whole night. the high points i suppose were when jammer did murkle man (even if it was over the actual vocal track) and skepta came on and everyone joined in with the 'go on then go on then' and 'oh my diddy!'.

some random thoughts on the night -
i might be missing the point here but what is a point of reloads when instead of actually redoing those bars, you just stop and grind everything to a halt. the amount of mcs that did this on wednesday was annoying. it didnt heighten the tension or have you craving more, it just stopped the momentum.
MCs need to learn about mic control. all the shouting is fucking annoying (this isnt limited only to grime though). and i dont know if they were drunk or the monitors were messing up or if they just have bad timing but i could have sworn that half the time, some of the rhymes were out of sync or slightly behind the beat.
apart from roll deep (wiley especially with his 'ole ole ole ole!' chants), no one was really trying to hype the crowd or get everyone going, it was just like 'yeah were here to do our rhymes, we dont care what you think'. i suppose its a change from cheesy audience participation but some sort of plan or routine would be nice (i know its not a concert per se, but if everyones just standing around like a gig, then you might as well entertain them)...
set of the night for me was newham gens - they were really tight, the rapport between footsie and d double was really strong, they looked like they knew what they were doing and had some focus, plus tubby's mixing/selection was virtually flawless.

Last edited:

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
People were dancing when I was playing vocals. I noticed that. And then when the MCs came on they tended to stop and watch the MCs like it was a stageshow.

gumdrops

yeah, they were dancing to bearman's track, wiley's im real (which sounded really really good, hope it gets released) early on, but soon as the crews piled in, people suddenly got virtually frozen upright.

btw, does anyone know if the dubstep room was there? when i got there, the main room was playing dubstep (there was one track in particular that stuck out which had kinda ravey riffs but ive no idea what it was), but i forgot to venture into the small room to see if it continued there or not... i know its what everyone says, but the bass from those tracks really was absolutely fucking massive. i thought my bowels were going to give way.

outraygeous

the next day, i tried 2 play gamecube and my thumb was stiff from letting off big gun fingers

logan kicked off the dance, fuda guy is hype. jammer murked and jme got the biggest wheel

bossman is a big big dj and so is plastic. big up max and karnage for their 'diffrent selection' and complainig about 1 deck working.

big up the nw tugs that hi jacked the booth. well done

and out to all the mcs talking big talk and then not even backing it when the time comes. this is starting to annoy me. i dont wana hear fairy stories on the mic please.

overall, massive night. great way to end 2005 and i wana be at more of these events.

'crews wana clash me.... '

DJ Lioness

outraygeous said:
bossman is a big big dj and so is plastic. big up max and karnage for their 'diffrent selection' and complainig about 1 deck working.

that was probably the result of sama's set, sounded like the needle broke and scratched up a couple of his tunes with them wheel ups!

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Just to let you know that there will be a mix going out tonight on kiss100 at 11pm GMT half an hour of vocal stuff.

So if you are driving to anywhere in the london area or getting ready to go out then have a listen

nomos

Administrator
Just getting my spam on here for a moment.

I've just put up an interview with Dogzilla at Riddim.ca. He's a man of few words (surprisingly) but it's enlightening nevertheless. Includes tales of fishing in Dagenham (with accompanying photo) and a sneak preview of a track from his forthcoming album.

Dexplicit is on deck for next week, with Appleblim and D1 to follow.

As you were...

gumdrops

good essay on aim high 2 by tim finney here -
http://getphysical.blogspot.com/2005/12/skykicking-end-of-year-report-album-of.html

dont really rate everything target/danny weed do as much as some people but i especially liked this part in the write up:

"It’s all pretty melodramatic stuff, and the rapping on Aim High 2 is correspondingly almost always very serious, mostly stories of self-improvement through adversity or apocalyptic battle rhymes. The first tack has become a bit of a cliché for Target productions, especially after “Chosen One”, and indeed there is evidence here of what I’ve been calling in my head “the Riko Fallacy”: the idea that there is a direct relationship being the quality of an MC and their focus on soul-bearing – named after Riko because so many people seem to rate said MC based on how many times he talks straightforwardly about being poor or something, when in fact he’s at his best when sliding into near-incomprehensible patois (the oneupmanship ragga chat with God’s Gift on “Dead That” being far superior to his round table with Dogzilla on poverty in “Critical”). The sad fact is that many MCs lose all their wit, their flow, their verbal imagination, when they try to get in touch with their feelings, erroneously assuming that “straight talk” is an ends in itself. Not everyone is a Dizzee, and nor should they feel the need to be."

totally agreed that a large part of what STILL makes roll deep the premier grime crew is "a preponderance of memorable voices".

Last edited:

Immryr

logan, or anyone else who may know, can you tell me what the beat that brazen does his freestyle over on practice hours 2 is?? its absolutely seperate.