GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

unclerico

Jammer is a shit MC

so is Lethal though to be fair.

thats what everyone seems to think - i just like the rhythms in his mcing - he floats around the beat in a really cool way and i think he's witty and has a unique way of putting things

i think he's very underrated but i guess it depends what criteria you judge him by too - personally i don't like ghetto or doogz even though i know they are rated highly

i've always liked jammer and slew dem crew best, along with footsie and d double

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
thats what everyone seems to think - i just like the rhythms in his mcing - he floats around the beat in a really cool way and i think he's witty and has a unique way of putting things

i think he's very underrated but i guess it depends what criteria you judge him by too - personally i don't like ghetto or doogz even though i know they are rated highly

i've always liked jammer and slew dem crew best, along with footsie and d double

Yeah Jammer is great. Technically he might not be Goodz or Ghetto, but neither is Tempa T. Jammer is funny and has a great personality that he brings to tracks which I appreciate infinitely more than this recent horde of very serious, very boring youngers. Thankfully grime MCing is more than just "wordplay" and multi's. This is also why Jammer can get so many more reloads than Ghetto or Goodz can.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Glad someone is saying this, tbh. I've always felt like I don't 'get' why some (both in hip-hop and grime) are judged great MCs when I can't remember anything they've ever said, and others are left off the list for not being tight or technical enough, despite bringing loads of personality.

As said upthread of course, the occasional handful (D Double, Goodz) bring both at once.

Is Wiley that good 'technically'? I can't even tell tbh - his personality just stamps itself all over his tracks.

bun-u

Trumpet Police
Glad someone is saying this, tbh. I've always felt like I don't 'get' why some (both in hip-hop and grime) are judged great MCs when I can't remember anything they've ever said, and others are left off the list for not being tight or technical enough, despite bringing loads of personality.

As said upthread of course, the occasional handful (D Double, Goodz) bring both at once.

Is Wiley that good 'technically'? I can't even tell tbh - his personality just stamps itself all over his tracks.

I guess it's just the same as singing. I mean I don't mind hearing a good voice but most great vocal music is sung by someone with a limited range

john eden

male pale and stale
yeah I agree about Jammer also - he just seems a bit more multi-dimensional... happy to take risks (like that one about being pissed on AYD4 and the weird opera one on AYD3)

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos

Oh definitely. For most recent examples of this check "Off The Radar" from Race Against Time or "Angry Garden Gnome", the diss track aimed at Goodz. Wiley has a lot of skill, a hell of a lot of versality, and even more personality than both of those things combined. He can spray for twenty minutes straight without choking, switching flows on a dime, or he can get a reload by simply saying "Bang."

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Yeah I'm just going to agree with everyone here - have a lot of time for Jammer as an MC.
But - and not trying to be cheeky here - when people are parring MCs for being 'too technical' or whatever, who do they have in my mind? I think Ghetto and Goodz are both great. Are there people who take it further than this?

alex

Do not read this.
Hmm, I can see everyone's points, but really though??..his stuff his more miss than hit....but mind you he has got countless CD's out & made some bangers, so what do i know!! :D

what Sick Boy mentioned about Wil is true in my opinion aswell....

viktorvaughn

Yeah I'm just going to agree with everyone here - have a lot of time for Jammer as an MC.
But - and not trying to be cheeky here - when people are parring MCs for being 'too technical' or whatever, who do they have in my mind? I think Ghetto and Goodz are both great. Are there people who take it further than this?

I think the too technical / skippy flow criticism is aimed at Ghetto especially and maybe (modern) Goodz too, Devlin for sure, Chipmunk a bit, anyone boasting about being superlyrical who isn't banging.

The ultimate antithesis to that is of course Terminator.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Well, I've never been too keen on Chipmunk, but again, I reckon Ghetto and Devlin are excellent, what's not to like?
(Sorry, honestly not stirring it, just bored and in the mood for some aimless debate...)

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Well, I've never been too keen on Chipmunk, but again, I reckon Ghetto and Devlin are excellent, what's not to like?
(Sorry, honestly not stirring it, just bored and in the mood for some aimless debate...)

Ghetto is great. He shadowboxed Kano, focused hard on multi-rhyming, and injected his own personal brand of venom. His style is unique and imitated by many.

Devlin is a steaming pile of over-rated shit. People often mistake his terrible overambitious illiterate rhymes, inability to stay on a beat and angsty subject matter as all being some next level shit because he does it all fast.

Although I guess he could be Wretch 32 who does the same but slowly, and this actually turns out to be worse.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
He does lose the beat quite often, I'll give you that. I still like Devlin though. I appreciate how his lyrics come across as an outpouring of random ideas. They're probably not, I suspect it's all carefully contrived, but it still has the feel of a sort of spontaneous rush to it.
Glad that people are still feeling Ghetto. SB's observation about the 'personal brand of venom' in his voice is accurate I think.

gumdrops

why does this discussion keep coming up?! jammer is a great mc. hes got a more consistent flow than most, he writes good songs, and hes got a sense of humour, which most mcs in grime - sadly - do not have. also a slight weirdness which i like. plus he manages to still be kinda sinister and creepy too, which is a pretty great/odd balance. there should be a place for a jammer in grime. whats wrong with someone with a lot of personality? its better than technically great but dry mcs. but its not like his basic skill level is ultra low anyway. agreed on the taking risks thing.

i might need to give his cd a fresh listen but i dont really like silencers beats that much (maybe if i bought the 12s i might like them more). i liked them a *bit* when they were new, but now theyve been killed by everyone, i like them a lot less as im suspicious of how they got played to death in the first place. i smell a rat.

Last edited:
right…

I present to you possibly the best writer in the UK…well up and coming...

okay I may be a little biased but…whatever lol. Check this s*** out: http://niiteiko.wordpress.com/2009/07/18/cant-wait/

I did tell him that it could be seen as a little homo to some (no offence meant…really) but check it out and tell him what you think

btw Jammer is cool...but a beat biter. can that really be forgiven for a so-called 'Top Producer'? I mean he even made a tune about it!

Iunno

id still rather pay £6 for one great song than the same for a mix cd.

huh? one tune?!?

I think it's largely due to the fact that his beats are actually quite hard and grimy as well, though. Overexposed, perhaps, but that doesn't change the fact that he's actually quite good.

Silencer beats sound like Swizz Beats from about 97

why dont people just use them instead?

sorry to bait dude up but 'WWWIII' ("err.../tugboats" lol) off the Ruff Ryders Vol. 2 comp produced by Swizz (I think) is the start of Silencer really. check it out

big producer still...Silencer that is lol

Last edited: