GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

gumdrops

dj magic would be good i think. as long as he didnt feel 'pressure' to cover the full scene - i dont know why grime djs have to play stuff like tinchys recent hits. im all for supporting the scene but bad (commercial or otherwise) tracks are just that. not that it matters -1xtra have never had a grime show, not even when it was more popular than it is now. but how theyve suddenly decided to finally get a dubstep show on, with rusko of all people, about 3-4 years too late, and STILL dont have a grime show is just strange. what are the people who run 1xtra like?

new dizzee album is surprisingly good, if anyones heard it. about 2-3 tracks that dont do much for me, but the rest is decent. id actually even say its his best 'album' album overall.

Last edited:

Elijah

Butterz
dj magic would be good i think. as long as he didnt feel 'pressure' to cover the full scene - i dont know why grime djs have to play stuff like tinchys recent hits. im all for supporting the scene but bad (commercial or otherwise) tracks are just that. not that it matters -1xtra have never had a grime show, not even when it was more popular than it is now. but how theyve suddenly decided to finally get a dubstep show on, with rusko of all people, about 3-4 years too late, and STILL dont have a grime show is just strange. what are the people who run 1xtra like?

new dizzee album is surprisingly good, if anyones heard it. about 2-3 tracks that dont do much for me, but the rest is decent. id actually even say its his best 'album' album overall.

I dont even mean like the commercially released stuff, I mean the properly organised underground stuff as well.

gumdrops

yeah fair enough - id rather hear djs who have certain tastes or aesthetics than guys who just play a bit of everything just for the sake of it (though they have their uses too of course - depends on what sort of show youre doing - but id imagine a grime show on 1xtra would prob be all/mostly vocals)

alex

Do not read this.
Personally I think slimzee should take the daytime slot & spin his dubplates endlessley all week. No vocals. To dream.

Magic

New Ice Kid Freestyle

The instrumentals coming out n Rude Kids - Jack Daniels EP which is at the pressing plant!

The reason I am keen on 1xtra having a grime show is not because I am desperate to personally DJ on the station (there are loads of Djs that could host a great 2hr show) its more because there is genunine demand for it and the genre merits it due to the number of artists it has produced

Simon78

New Ice Kid Freestyle

The instrumentals coming out n Rude Kids - Jack Daniels EP which is at the pressing plant

Quality freestyle. I hope his CD is good.

1xtra used to be essential to me when I lived out in the sticks. Femme Fatale, Ja Da Flex & Heartless crew used to keep me up to date with all of the tunes and then I could look at the tracklist to sort out what I wanted to order from Uptown.

They seem pretty clueless these days.

gumdrops

yeah, they dont seem to have any direction anymore.

anyway, i nicked this from grimeforum -

The BBC's remit as a public service is that it provides services which aren't necessarily available elsewhere.

They're clearly not doing this by pushing shitty electro.

Anyway, people should contact them: 1Xtra, PO Box 1X, London, W1A. e: 1xtra@bbc.co.uk

And make reference to 1xtra's remit which states: "The remit of 1Xtra is to play the best in contemporary black music with a strong
emphasis on live music and supporting new UK artists."

Their service license can be found here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/assets...xtra_aug09.txt

FairiesWearBoots

its almost like an echo of what happened to Kiss at the start of the decade - it used to be so good then it got bought (by Emap I think?) and all the good DJ's left/got booted and it was just watered down versions of what they thought was good music

They premiered the Kano track on Mista jam's show a few weeks back. He was overhypeing it like crazy, really shameless sycophantism as he congratulated Kano on it. Sadly half an hour later the show was deluged with texts saying it was a great tune so they played it again. I half expected the DJ would have falled flat on his face when he was told by the 1xtra listeners not too unnecessarily promote a weak record, but I guess I was wrong.