GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

oh my....

Logan Sama said:
No it isn't.

It is an accurate description of the demographic the music played by 1xtra and in so called "Urban" events appeals to. They predominantly live in the UK's densely populated Urban areas.

I double dog dare you to tell me Grime or Garage is "Black" music when there isn't a single black person who has a regular grime focussed show on legal radio.

this response isn't serious....is it? Logan what part of Africa did you live in if you don't mind me asking?

anyway in response to the other person asking for a black music thread...lets do it. The thread to end all threads!

almost forgot! My boy bought 'Industry Standard - The Trilogy' round my drum last night and cot damn...Terror's doen it again. It was a badly scratched vinyl (hi Uptown!) but man I thought you guys would've been talking about it nuff. That 'Stiff' track - words ain't enough. Does anyone realise that that's a d'n'b/jungle break he's using? The one with D.O.K - hypement. 'Radar' - nuff said. Anyone heard/copped it?

Last edited:

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
All joking aside.

Grime is not and never has been a "black music". London's youth are not segregated in such a way that this music can be credited to any one race when all the big MCs, Producers and dj's come from such a wide spectrum of ethnic backgrounds.

C

captain easychord

Tactics said:
this response isn't serious....is it? Logan what part of Africa did you live in if you don't mind me asking?

anyway in response to the other person asking for a black music thread...lets do it. The thread to end all threads!

almost forgot! My boy bought 'Industry Standard - The Trilogy' round my drum last night and cot damn...Terror's doen it again. It was a badly scratched vinyl (hi Uptown!) but man I thought you guys would've been talking about it nuff. That 'Stiff' track - words ain't enough. Does anyone realise that that's a d'n'b/jungle break he's using? The one with D.O.K - hypement. 'Radar' - nuff said. Anyone heard/copped it?

dude that EP is too massive, TD has unbelievably taken his style even darker and deeper, if that's possible. my fav is 'lifesaver' personally. have you hear the royal vocal of it?

C

captain easychord

outraygeous said:
terror is so advanced, hes like the xbox 360 of grime

next generation

the amount of detail in his productions is incredible.

zhao

there are no accidents
gumdrops said:
lol (im guessing/hoping that was meant to be a joke)

its not like all the millions of rock artists in the world have slavishly held on to what it sounded like in the hands of black musicians or keep its blues/R&B roots intact.

1. fat chance.

2. but they have, more than not. Led Zepplin and Rolling Stones played wholesale black music. and I think most people consider that stuff to be the main bloodline of rock'n'roll.

face it, 20th Century popular forms of music (in the west atleast), from jazz to rock to house to hiphop, it's ALL OF IT black.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
confucius said:
1. fat chance.

2. but they have, more than not. Led Zepplin and Rolling Stones played wholesale black music. and I think most people consider that stuff to be the main bloodline of rock'n'roll.

face it, 20th Century popular forms of music, from jazz to rock to house to hiphop, it's ALL OF IT black.

Silly notions of purity and not true music isnt a product of purity and neither is anything else

zhao

there are no accidents
mms said:
you said all 20th century popuklar forms of music were black, which is silly.

I said the roots of all 20th century western popular music is most definitely black.

anyone who refuses to acknowledge this is the real silly.

but I didn't say anything was "pure".

mms

sometimes
confucius said:
I said the roots of all 20th century western popular music is most definitely black.

anyone who refuses to acknowledge this is the real silly.

but I didn't say anything was "pure".

no that's not what you said this is what you said

confucius said:
face it, 20th Century popular forms of music (in the west atleast), from jazz to rock to house to hiphop, it's ALL OF IT black

and i still disagree with you on your revised statement as it's not true that the roots of all popular 20th century music are black.

MATT MAson

BROADSIDE
I have to agree with Confucius. Nearly all forms of modern pop music have black roots. Even Kraftwerk - check their influences. But that doesn't mean everything that followed is 'black' music, anymore than modern languages should be considered simple extensions of Sanskrit. Modern music scenes are way more complex beasts, taking in myriad influences. Even hip hop, disco and house, all considered black music forms, were products of multicultural society created by pioneers of a number of different races.

mms

sometimes
MATT MAson said:
I have to agree with Confucius. Nearly all forms of modern pop music have black roots. Even Kraftwerk - check their influences. But that doesn't mean everything that followed is 'black' music, anymore than modern languages should be considered simple extensions of Sanskrit. Modern music scenes are way more complex beasts, taking in myriad influences. Even hip hop, disco and house, all considered black music forms, were products of multicultural society created by pioneers of a number of different races.

it's a complex beast indeed and i think the development has more to do with technology, co-option, commerce migration, integration and all kinds of pressures and resistance, cultural and otherwise.
You couldn't say that musicals or ballroom music were a product of black music all though they coopted some of it, also something like country music or folk doesn't explicitly have it's roots in black music, then again hip hop couldn't exist without the japanese roland corporation, same goes for the blues, which is a product of adopted cultures. You couldn't rightly say that the beatles or Led Zeppelin played black music, or that switched on bach or sound of music has black roots, to imagine that something is the product of a cultural vortex based on race is odd, you could say that everything originates from africa but what would be the point in that?

Last edited:

Le Bob

The roar of the masses...
confucius said:
once and for all:

rock'n'roll is more black than anything else. because it comes from blues, r'n'b, gospel, and funk -- Afro American traditions. end of discussion.

Well, your not entirely wrong, mista. Most music from America has predominantly Black roots. And the way most music is played today, esp. popular music, owes very much to the African American slaves. BUT, rock'n'roll did take ques from white country music to shape it into how we know it today.

petergunn

plywood violin
Le Bob said:
BUT, rock'n'roll did take ques from white country music to shape it into how we know it today.

word...

listen to shit like "move it on over" by hank williams or even a comp of Jerry Lee Lewis's Sun stuff... or back to Jimmy Rogers or Dock Boggs...

just like how stuff like the Kinks owes just as much to english music hall traditions, early american rock and roll owes tons to country just as much as gospel and r&b and blues...

DJ Lioness

Logan Sama said:
I double dog dare you to tell me Grime or Garage is "Black" music when there isn't a single black person who has a regular grime focussed show on legal radio.

LOL @ "Double dog dare you". Anyhoo, there was never a black person with a Reggae, Roots etc show on legal radio until Goldfinger a couple years back (which is hilarious and disgusting at the same time) and im sure you couldnt be mad enough to disagree that Reggae could be tagged as "black music". In fact I would be bold enough to say that any music with an "ethnic" origin is always championed by non-ethnic's for years first - Check Marky Mark, Rodigan, Westwood etc. The music had a huge following before they all jumped on but was only accepted by the mainstream when they started playing it, t'is how radio/media works.

I dont really think Grime is "black" though.

zhao

there are no accidents
jesus christ. how many times do I have to keep saying this:

Elvis played BLACK music. so did Chuck Berry, the Beatles, the Stones, etc. Led Zep is nothing but an amped up blues band.

country and western as we know it has its roots in the Mississippi Delta, which to me seems like a Fertile Crescent of American music, and the original practitioners were mostly black.

dig Charlie Patton, dig the pre-WWI gospel and folk, which is among the first recordings ever, dated at about 1908, 1909. all black. and from these records you can hear what's to come in the rest of the century. There is rock in there, there is funk, hiphop, and unmistakably the origins of house - in the hand claps accompanied "jump up" tunes (which sounds like a bunch of slaves bangin' on shit and hollering).