K.W Jeter

jonny mugwump

exotic pylon
I just polished off Dark Seeker and the Night Man.

The first is (kind of) about drugs with very nice phil-dickian reality-melt and the second a kind of extended character study with the 'horror' part taking place much later on which was a nice unexpected turn- i dont think i'm spoiling anything as this kind of becomes obvious quickly. Its also incredibly bleak with an extremely uncompromising ending. Both highly recommended.

I wouldn't say they were better than his sci-fi but they are pretty damn good.

jd_

I've got Mantis but haven't read it yet. This is a good thread, useful in a different way than some of the more general sf threads. There are other guys I wouldn't mind learning more about too, like Lucius Shepard, Thomas Disch, Barry Malzberg.

polystyle

jd , personally haven't gotten into the space or horror Jeter as much ,
great writer any genre I reckon tho'.

You may like Jack Womack (the earlier stuff like Ambient).
How about John Brunner (late '70's) ? I've gone on about him a few times previously.
John Shirley kind of goes with the another author you mention Shepard ,
one of the original cyberpunk crew.
Personally not a huge fan of the werk, but a good guy.

jd_

Yeah I wondered about that stuff. I don't particularily want to be reading Star Wars novels if I can help it, but I mean I'm curious. I could see him subverting them if he was interested. I felt like Glass Hammer was a bit like that, not like Star Wars, but that it wasn't about what it seemed to be about superficially.

Jack Womack is a new one to me, I'll keep an eye out, he's 80s?

I remember you talking about Brunner ages ago, and partially due to that (and just total availability of his stuff for a dollar or two), I've got a little pile waiting for me. Stand On Zanzibar and Shockwave Rider are the two I'll definitely do, I started with a random and I think fairly junk one called Double Double and I ended up, not dismissing him, but putting his stuff to the side for later.

I don't know John Shirley, he's like Shepard? I'm reading another book by him now, Shepard I mean, Life During Wartime, and it's getting good! I've only really just started it though. Green Eyes is the only other thing I've read, I just happened upon him because the cover was real 80s and seemed like it could be cool. It's surprising he seems so forgotten, although maybe not surprising since we are talking about SF.

polystyle

Don't have much idea about what the Jeter did with Star Wars books ,
but the Blade Runner novels are pretty cool, knowing and winking at the movie and it's status as future legend'.
See from Wikip that this latest one Exotic p has been reading is partly about the Tyrell Corp's owl ...

Quite understandable about that kind of reaction to an early Brunner;
his Shockwave Rider , Stand and The Sheep Look Up are the ones I'd recommend.
Without Stand On Zanzibar, dunno where W Gibson would have gotten those ideas he um , picked up for use in Neuromancer.
Once you read it , you'll see what I mean.
Not the easiest read, long and telescopes in and out on multi stories but I still find I can go bk to it from time to time.
The Sheep Look Up is followup to Stand, unrelated characters but related world , eco disaster US.
Later used as a nice title for Fad Gadget lp.

John Varley is another one, Press Enter his short another influence on the cyber pack.
Vernor Vinge's True Names cyber teething fodder for the larger names as well

Green Eyes was the only Shepard I've rd.
He was in there with the pack socially and press-wise earlier one , but ran quiet and didn't string together a large run.

Shirley's stories were ok, can be a bit corny and not sure how well they have aged.
He introduced me to WG bk in that day so I gotta give him some cred.

Womack's Ambient and the couple afterwards were his best imo , their titles elude me.
Ambient from mid '80's or later, Jack used to hold these great Red Death parties and still lives up by Columbia U.
Ambient rds likes a pov of someone living in a slightly less destroyed Escape From NY or Diamond Dogs.
That is, the armored buses still run downtown past checkpoints !

Buick6

too punk to drunk
Bluejay Books edition with the byline on front 'Come boys and girls , let Dr.Adder fullfill ALL your dreams.'

That's hilarious, becuase I borrowed that edition of the book from my local suburban library! It was in the 'teen' section! LOL! WHAT WERE THEY THINKING??!!!

Yeah Glenn Branca is a bit of a cyberpunk expert, and I frequent John Shirley's message board which John posts on regularly, as does Johnny Strike from Crime, who's a pretty neat sci-fi/noir writer as well....

Shirley's ECLIPSE series was one of my first forays into the c-punk genre, it's good, but yeah, his books can get a bit cheesy, but he has some good ideas and is a big punk-rock fan, though his taste veers more into glam-goth kinda fold. His horror stuff is ok as well, especially the seriously fucked WETBONES. He had success in the 90s with THE CROW movies, and seems to have slotted himself into that goth-nerd type scene that is pretty big everywhere these days... :cool:

jd_

I try those three of Brunner's for sure. Do you like Jagged Orbit? That was one of the ones I found too.

All I've read by Varley is the Ophiuchi Hotline. Is that typical?
Do you like Greg Egan?

I don't know Shirley at all.

That's hilarious, becuase I borrowed that edition of the book from my local suburban library! It was in the 'teen' section! LOL! WHAT WERE THEY THINKING??!!!

That's awesome