questions you are dying to ask but are too scared to b/c of music nerd cred?

Leo

bashment...is it the same thing as dancehall? a form of dancehall? not related to dancehall at all?

john eden

male pale and stale
bashment...is it the same thing as dancehall? a form of dancehall? not related to dancehall at all?

Same thing, is the short answer.

Longer answer

Bashment = "a bash" = a party in JA = music played at a party JA

dancehall = somewhere people go to dance in JA = the music played in a dancehall

There is a longer answer than this which talks about early 80s dancehall vs ragga vs late 90s dancehall and bashment, but I can't be arsed getting into that now :)

Client Eastwood

Im gonna kick myself when I get told the answer to this. But what the sample Jah, Jah, Jah, Jahovia ?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

sufi

lala
Im gonna kick myself when I get told the answer to this. But what the sample Jah, Jah, Jah, Jahovia ?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
twinkles?

Client Eastwood

Bang kicks Bang. Thanks Sufi.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
That hah hah, hah hah laugh thats on lots of acid house records.
Where does the sample come from and why was used so much ?

And whats the name of the tune thats always played when an athlete is running in slow motion and where was it first used ?

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
That hah hah, hah hah laugh thats on lots of acid house records.
Where does the sample come from and why was used so much ?

And whats the name of the tune thats always played when an athlete is running in slow motion and where was it first used ?

You mean this one? At around 23 seconds in :

Cos everyone loves Yazoo if it's the case, it was a huge US club hit.

benjybars

village elder.
so what actually happened to Task (Youngsta's old MC) ????

was there a massive fight with youngsta?
someone must know.. he literally just disappeared..
and the thing is he was such a perfect host for yunx.. proper downbeat and slow-witted (in a good way)

allow Toast. he's shit and he's got a rubbish voice.

muser

anyone have an idea or would hazard a guess at what the lead instrument is on Alicia Keys - Feelin' U, Feelin' Me?

It sounds a bit like some kind of electro-mechanical rhodes type thing but with effects, but seeing video of her playing it live it just looks like some synth.

hint

party record with a siren
anyone have an idea or would hazard a guess at what the lead instrument is on Alicia Keys - Feelin' U, Feelin' Me?

It sounds a bit like some kind of electro-mechanical rhodes type thing but with effects, but seeing video of her playing it live it just looks like some synth.

Live video I just watched on Youtube looks like she's using a Moog Voyager, but doesn't sound like the recorded version.

Recorded version I just listened to on Spotify sounds like a distorted Rhodes (or perhaps a Wurlitzer). The dynamics of it certainly suggest it's not a synth.

Dr Awesome

Techsteppin'
so what actually happened to Task (Youngsta's old MC) ????

was there a massive fight with youngsta?
someone must know.. he literally just disappeared..
and the thing is he was such a perfect host for yunx.. proper downbeat and slow-witted (in a good way)

allow Toast. he's shit and he's got a rubbish voice.

There was some something brewing between yunx and task, and from what I heard (hearsay, of course) he just stopped coming in one day.
Task also ended up in Texas apparently, and Yunx got Toast in.
I have at least one old Task era show where they refer to a "Toast" who's in the studio and makes noises or something on the mic....

It's a shame, I dearly miss Task.
There was something infectiously loveable about someone who would say: GETTIN COLDA over the mic.