Do any internationally known musicians come here?

3underscore

polystyle desu said:
This was cool to find out that Kode 9 , a Black Dog member , Shadetek , DJ Rupture and Plasticman,
among probably others are at least sometimes here , that's a formidable crew right there !
Cheers all

Not meaning to talk this down, but given each of their user names and signatures, this is about as revalatory as me adding "Logan Sama" to the list!

Buick6

too punk to drunk
Enough that SOMEONE ELSE has paid for your internatinal travel, you've had press beyond backyard fanzines, and you might just be making a living off what you do.

aint capitalism a fucken cunt? :mad:

ripley

Buick6 said:
Enough that SOMEONE ELSE has paid for your internatinal travel, you've had press beyond backyard fanzines, and you might just be making a living off what you do.

well,

re: 1
I've been flown from NYC (USA) to Czech Republic, from San Francisco (USA) to Germany, been flown from Berlin-Brussels and shitloads of other intra-europe travel, plus uk-europe travel. 5 european tours so far, plus US gigs in various states.

re: 2
reviews in XLR8R, Grooves, a mention in the Wire (courtesey of an internationally known author often present on this board, cheers), nice words online from Warpmart, Boomkat and others..

re: 3
making a living off it? hell no

Buick6 said:
aint capitalism a fucken cunt? :mad:

word. I'm guessing you mean cunt as a bad thing (cuz I like mine just fine).

it's a good job I've got other occupations that almost pay the bills.

anyway.. er... ALL Y'ALL GIVE ME SOME RESPECT, I'M AN INTERNATIONALLY KNOWN bwa ha ha ha (couldn't quite keep a straight face on that one)

Buick6

too punk to drunk
Awright then. I played in an Aussie indie-guitar band that were often compared to Teenage Fanclub/Lemonheads over 10 years ago. We played interstate a few times, got signed to a Creation-wannabe local indie that traded in the UK/US and subsequently got signed to a now defunct Atlantic subsidiary and played CMJ or whatever it was called in NYC and some gigs in London where it was expected for us to be hated because we were Australian. Subsequently other band members were embraced by a Smiths-loving twee-positive cult, and I subsequently quit the band. The band subsequently parted ways with the indie, got embraced by a local-major who moulded them into a sub-Menswear/Gene clone that ultimately died a quick horrible death.

Now I am frustrated and bitter and have become a InterNerd dissenser! :p

DJL

i'm joking
I'm not an internationally known artist but one of my best mates brothers is in Babyshambles and my half sister went out with a Sex Pistol when they were big if that counts for anything.

Peak

I played keyboards on a couple of tracks recorded by a singer who used to be in an 80s Manchester guitar band that nearly went on tour with Swing Out Sister, but didnt. The tracks were put out as a single by a German record label. It may have sold in double figures (I don't know, my royalties never arrived).

That trumps everyone, surely?

jwd

Buick6 said:
Awright then. I played in an Aussie indie-guitar band that were often compared to Teenage Fanclub/Lemonheads over 10 years ago. We played interstate a few times, got signed to a Creation-wannabe local indie that traded in the UK/US and subsequently got signed to a now defunct Atlantic subsidiary and played CMJ or whatever it was called in NYC and some gigs in London where it was expected for us to be hated because we were Australian. Subsequently other band members were embraced by a Smiths-loving twee-positive cult, and I subsequently quit the band. The band subsequently parted ways with the indie, got embraced by a local-major who moulded them into a sub-Menswear/Gene clone that ultimately died a quick horrible death.

Now I am frustrated and bitter and have become a InterNerd dissenser! :p

This is all saying THE EARTHMEN to me loud and clear but I could well be wrong. (It's the 'Creation wannabe' that makes me think of JR's Summershine label.)

Buick6

too punk to drunk
jwd said:
This is all saying THE EARTHMEN to me loud and clear but I could well be wrong. (It's the 'Creation wannabe' that makes me think of JR's Summershine label.)

It could have been Autohaze or Ripe or ....

But yeah you win the Cola chupa-chup..Were you a fan?

daren

Nick Gutterbreakz said:
who gives a shit anyway? I wanna talk about them, not to them. ;)
Hehe...this reminds me of a story Sasha Frere-Jones revealed to an audience during the New Yorker College Tour. He scored his first journal piece when someone from the Village Voice overheard a debate between him and Simon Reynolds over whether his band at the time, Ui was considered post-rock. Next thing you know, she asked him to write something for them, or some other reputable journal.

If Mr. Reynolds is reading this, can he confirm?

Buick6

too punk to drunk
daren said:
Hehe...this reminds me of a story Sasha Frere-Jones revealed to an audience during the New Yorker College Tour. He scored his first journal piece when someone from the Village Voice overheard a debate between him and Simon Reynolds over whether his band at the time, Ui was considered post-rock. Next thing you know, she asked him to write something for them, or some other reputable journal.

If Mr. Reynolds is reading this, can he confirm?

Good way to score a gig!

jwd

Buick6 said:
It could have been Autohaze or Ripe or ....

But yeah you win the Cola chupa-chup..Were you a fan?

I liked "Figure 8" a lot. One of the Blindside singles was good, too.

Hey at least it wasn't Afterglow! (chuckles)

I actually found the Jupiter 12" in the dance/techno section of Red Eye yesterday. That seemed kinda like wishful thinking you know.

dsp13

GAMEBWOY
Yeah... Lars Ullrich from Metallica dropped by the other night... and was promptly bounced for inapropriate behaviour... nice to see the boys on the door don't make special allowances for vips ;)

seriously... nice work mod squad... that was a very strange 20 minutes of dissensus browsing.