IdleRich

IdleRich
he sent a letter just after the SF taxi driver murder that contained bloodstained cloth he snipped from his victim's shirt - that one was genuine

Ah yes, I remember that now. But I think even the first ones were considered genuine, didn't he describe details only the killer should have known? I mean maybe it's not undeniable proof but it pointed towards it being from the killer. And I think maybe that and another killing weren't linked at that point. I dunno, it's a bit hazy.
I wish they had said more about how they solved the cipher in the film. One thing that is interesting is that I often hear it said "the cipher wasn't that advanced" and "so and so was an expert in ciphers and so he is a possible suspect" - now I wouldn't say those points are mutually exclusive but they do sort of push in opposite directions I think.

Last edited:

william_kent

didn't he describe details only the killer should have known?

yeah, as far as I can remember the first letter had details about the crime scene that only someone who had been there, or read the police reports*, could have known

* there's a whole theory by "professor" (I don't believe he is one, do you even get professors at community colleges? ) Thomas Horan that there never was a "Zodiac Killer" and it was a policeman writing the letters who was just using random disconnected crimes to create a public scare ( sort of like the 5th season of The Wire )

william_kent

But to what end?

who knows? I've not read the Horan book

1666112627090.png

from the blurb on amazon:

According to the actual police department files and evidence from the original murder cases, there was no "Zodiac Killer," only some phony letters to the SF Chronicle claiming credit for some unrelated murders, followed by an exploitative book full of falsehoods by Robert Graysmith (real name: Robert Smith, Jr). This book thoroughly debunks Graysmith's 1986 book ZODIAC, explores in detail the cultural and literary environment that inspired the original Zodiac hoax, and explains what really happened in each murder, who the real suspects were, what the real evidence was--and who REALLY wrote the "Zodiac Killer" letters!

reading the reviews on amazon it appears the Zodiac Killer is revealed to be:

Robert Graysmith

Benny Bunter

On to Richard II now and it's slowly dawned on me that I read this one at school, it's all come flooding back.
Just done act 3 scene 2 where Richard comes back from Ireland to find everything gone to shit while he was away, bad news after bad news. Amazing stuff, so many famous lines -
'not all the water in the rough rude sea,'
'of comfort no man speak/Let's talk of graves and worms and epitaphs' etc etc.

Last edited:

version

Zodiac is great, I never rewatch it though cos the reenactment of the lakeside murder in it is so disturbing to me . . .

I've often seen people describe how horrifying that scene is and I just don't get it. The killer in broad daylight with that stupid homemade costume. There's no tension or anything. It just ranges from odd to ridiculous.

The scene in the basement really got me though.

version

Yes very true, they make out that it sucked in both Avery and Graysmith and drove them to the point of madness and beyond, and had a similar effect on Toschi until he managed to step back from the void... but I'm not sure that I found the portrayal of this that convincing, one minute they're going "Hmmm, this is intriguing" and next scene they're living in a cellar surrounded by boxes piled high filled with Zodiac clues and the walls covered in insane diagrams seemingly drawn by a mad professor and cross-referenced with cobwebs of pinned threads that look those experiments when they said "what happens when you give a spider crack cocaine?"

Some people like to include Zodiac as part of a loose 'Mark Ruffalo Investigates' trilogy along with Dark Waters and Spotlight. They've all got him rummaging through records in dark rooms, interviewing shady people.

Untitled.png

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I've often seen people describe how horrifying that scene is and I just don't get it. The killer in broad daylight with that stupid homemade costume. There's no tension or anything. It just ranges from odd to ridiculous.

The scene in the basement really got me though.

Weird, you must be incapable of empathyi suppose.

Zodiac?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Some people like to include Zodiac as part of a loose 'Mark Ruffalo Investigates' trilogy along with Dark Waters and Spotlight. They've all got him rummaging through records in dark rooms, interviewing shady people.

View attachment 13223
I quite like spotlight, funnily enough given the subject matter i find it quite an easy watch, like the moneyball of paedophilia

Anyway there's some absolutely delicious cringe bits in it, I think one of them is Mark ruffalo shouting "THIS IS BULLSHIT!" before storming out of the office.

version

I quite like spotlight, funnily enough given the subject matter i find it quite an easy watch, like the moneyball of paedophilia

Anyway there's some absolutely delicious cringe bits in it, I think one of them is Mark ruffalo shouting "THIS IS BULLSHIT!" before storming out of the office.

You should watch Dark Waters if you haven't. It's great, really frightening and frustrating. You'll never look at a non-stick pan the same way.

version

I was pretty taken aback when I read about someone linking Zodiac and The Monster of Florence.

@Corpsey you should definitely read about The Monster. Wild case.