empty mirror

remember the jackalope
you'd better read C&P pronto
i love the idiot but C&P is a different animal
i liked demons enough but it is my least favorite of his major novels

hucks

Your Message Here
I'm reading Revolutionary Road. I'm finding it a bit worrying.

I'm the dissensus book club, just 12 months late

you

David Peace and Dostoevsky

^ <3 idiot

read 1974 by d. peace; blew me doors off; want to read more

reading Last Samurai now by DeWitt (right?); misleading title; fantastic smart book with a nice yarn or two in there; only 160 or so in but it goes fast; if it were a movie, the tag line would be: genius ex-pat mom rears prodigy in london subways (tubeways?) with etymological divergences

Sup.

Peace - mentioned a lot in francis wheens, strange days indeed. A book about paranoia in the 70s - again - review on http://notesfromthevomitorium.blogspot.com/ - Peace is something I just have to get on to soon, as well as the idiot.

With regards to Dostoevskys Demons - I have found it to be the most interesting book ive read. Essentially because its flawed. Brothers Karamazov is too symmetrical, too developed ( in comparison ). Demons on the other hand has so many loose ends, cul de sacs and moot points it turns out to prompt better dialogues. One day ill read up and post a better explanation of what I mean...

Crackerjack - Nixonland looks great!

crackerjack

Crackerjack - Nixonland looks great!

Yeah, it's a cracking read so far. You can't go far wrong with that era - it's such an extraordinary time and the sheer viciousness of the white backlash just seems incredible. Plus Nixon is such a fascinatingly psychotic president, no one else even comes close.

Kate Mossad

Lord Jim by Joseph Conrad, on the back of it featuring in John Gray's Straw Dogs and Alan Moore's 25,000 Years of Erotic Freedom. Not really getting into Conrad so far and am just about to start the Moore. I'll report back...

luka

i often struggle with conrad. breezed through under western eyes and heart of dearkness, everything else has felt like a chore and consequently never finsihed.

Kate Mossad

With Conrad there's a "barrier" to break through and then I think it'll be a breeze. I was the same with Dostoevsky, Crime and Punishment took me three attempts, uphill struggle through the first half and then a piece of piss afterwards.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I have to read War and Peace over the next few weeks. I'm looking forward to the first 1200 pages, the last 100 might be a bit tough though.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
i often struggle with conrad. breezed through under western eyes and heart of dearkness, everything else has felt like a chore and consequently never finsihed.

Nigger of the Narcissus is good.
I struggle with him too because although the content is there, sometimes his preposterous extended metaphors go beyond being charming in a "bless him" kind of way and become, if not contrived, then at least downright annoying. But, there are those who are much greater offenders in this department: namely, Cormac McCarthy. I put up with him, so it's unfair to not put up with Conrad as well I suppose.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Only Conrad I've read is 'The Secret Agent', which is great. Some moments of stylistic virtuosity i.e. the murder scene. And generally a fantastic atmosphere of gloom and doom, along with a dry irony that makes it somehow all farcical and funny.

I haven't read it in ages, hence the rather vague commendations.

jenks

thread death
Stoner by John Williams. Not a book about drugs but a most beautiful story about an Assistant Professor called Stoner who never rises high in life or career.

It is the choice of a book club that I have joined recently and previous choices led me to think of chucking it in as they have been tried and tested texts like Hawksmoor, Waterland, POrtnoy's Complaint but this has been an absolute revelation. It is the kind of book to press on to a friend with a slightly wild eyed look and say 'trust me, you'll love this!'

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/17/books/review/Dickstein-t.html

IdleRich

IdleRich
That does sound good.
I'm reading The Late Mattia Pascal by Pirandello; the gist of the plot is that the hero is fed up with his life, his mother having squandered his father's fortune and him reduced to living with a depressed wife and a mother-in-law who blames him for everything. One day he takes the money he was supposed to spend on his mother's funeral and runs away to America - except it's not enough to do that so he stops at Monte Carlo and tries his hand at the roulette wheel. Time for a change of fortune (of sorts) and the protagonist heads back home with a large sum of money, his exultation tempered by the fact that no money will make his family like him and that most of it will be wiped out if he wants to buy back the holdings of his youth.
Luckily, on his way home he sees in the paper that a body has been found in the stream near his house and has been identified as his own. Seizing the chance randomly given Mattia Pascal disembarks from the train, changes his appearance and habits and begins to see what life is like as a man with no acquaintances but lots of money.
The book is mainly concerned with identity and what happens to yours if you abandon all the things you thought anchored it. The plot seems to me - at least up to the point I've read - to be very similar to that of Antonioni's film The Passenger - wonder if he'd read it...