Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
you should read the whole of that one probably much more fun
Well originally I had the excerpt from that other one (don't know the translator) but then I found the Leonard version, liked it more, and bought it and read it primarily because I didn't like the idea of having on my website an excerpt from a book I haven't read. Beyond that, I was actually interested in the book itself, but the inciting factor was essentially the impulse not to be a poseur.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I've not read Lucretius but there's a book I read by George Santayana about Dante, Lucretius and Goethe which I found interesting at the time and now can remember nothing about

Santayana Edition
https://santayana.iupui.edu › ...PDF
THREE PHILOSOPHICAL POETS LUCRETIUS, DANTE, AND GOETHE

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I found out today that De Rerum Natura is nature-is-mechanical filth. Avoid
Yeah it’s pretty maximally mechanistic here, even going so far at some points as to say that the soul itself is comprised of a sparse sort of colloid of atoms thinly spread throughout the body, and that when we die it’s because this configuration of soul atoms has lost its formation or something.

But much of the book was fascinating. At times he essentially describes gravity (albeit without any sense of general relativity), conservation of energy, recessive genes, various biophysics processes like photoreception and olfaction, and he even starts describing a theory of active inference, essentially - all just using very extensive (and often fallible) logic based on his observations.

Read the cool six thousand in about a week on holiday - i ended up dreaming in those clipped 'sentences' - quite seriously one of the best prose stylists around. i have only read that and tabloid - what else would you recommend?
am currently reading richard yates short stories which are just spot-on - i discovered him a couple of years ago when his revolutionary road was re-printed after years languishing in obscurity - a gatsby for the sixties, i just felt hollow after i finished it, when i went to new york the first thing i did was try to track down any more of his stuff - easter parade and another were the only ones i could find but i devoured them in a way i hadn't done with anyone for years - there's other novels out there but i haven't been able to track em down yet.
also reading Lethem's fortress which i am loving, have purposely not read the thread on it yey until i hav e finished it.
also re-reading some ezra pound poetry - love those imagists.

I’m reading Yates eleven kinds of loneliness now he’s very good

woops

is not like other people
alright you lot for better or worse here's my reading log for this year.

The Killer Inside Me, A Hell of a Woman, The Getaway, The Grifters, Pop. 1280 - Jim Thomson (one after another)
Ticket That Exploded - WSB
England's Dreaming - Jon Savage
Vurt - Jeff Noon
The Heart of the Matter, The Human Factor, Loser Takes All, Our Man in Havana, The Honorary Consul, Dr Fischer of Geneva - Graham Greene (also one after another)
Nightwood - Djuna Barnes
Do Androids Dream etc. - PKD
Star Maker - Olaf Stapledon
All the Pretty Horses, The Crossing - Cormac McCarthy
What Would Lynne Tilmann Do? - Lynne Tilmann

probably a couple of boring 600 page biographies

loads of miscellania and poems like Borges' Dreamtigers for example

not chronological, I've left out anything i've forgotten (obviously) or didn't finish reading.

craner

Beast of Burden
alright you lot for better or worse here's my reading log for this year.

The Killer Inside Me, A Hell of a Woman, The Getaway, The Grifters, Pop. 1280 - Jim Thomson (one after another)
Ticket That Exploded - WSB
England's Dreaming - Jon Savage
Vurt - Jeff Noon
The Heart of the Matter, The Human Factor, Loser Takes All, Our Man in Havana, The Honorary Consul, Dr Fischer of Geneva - Graham Greene (also one after another)
Nightwood - Djuna Barnes
Do Androids Dream etc. - PKD
Star Maker - Olaf Stapledon
All the Pretty Horses, The Crossing - Cormac McCarthy
What Would Lynne Tilmann Do? - Lynne Tilmann

probably a couple of boring 600 page biographies

loads of miscellania and poems like Borges' Dreamtigers for example

not chronological, I've left out anything i've forgotten (obviously) or didn't finish reading.

That would take Jenks about a week to get through

wild greens

Reading The Cloud Forest by Peter Matthiessen at the moment

Some great passages in here though think most of the places he's talking about have surely been travel-gentrified beyond belief by now

(American travel writer sails down eg Sargossa Sea towards South America in the late fifties)

IdleRich

IdleRich
I went to the picturesque town of Evora for a couple of days between Christmas and New Year. I had nothing to read for the journey and so I picked up something in the station called The Neighbourhood by Mario Vargas Llosa, someone I've never read before. The first chapter featured two women who share a bed lezzing up... and it's a bit "men writing naked women" with all of that "I looked in the mirror at my high perfect breasts and taut stomach which swelled out to form my succulent inviting buttocks" which I struggled to get into, but after that first chapter it develops in all kinds of different directions (in fact so far that chapter could have been totally removed without affecting the story) and I'm enjoying it, in fact I wish it were longer cos the end is already in sight and I like being in this world.

version

The first chapter featured two women who share a bed lezzing up... and it's a bit "men writing naked women" with all of that "I looked in the mirror at my high perfect breasts and taut stomach which swelled out to form my succulent inviting buttocks" which I struggled to get into,

The one I read of his was like that too. There were two military guys, one telling a story to the other, and the one listening kept being like "Haha, yes! Nothing like sticking it in a beautiful woman!" or whatever. I suppose it made sense for the character though, even if Llosa's like that himself.

Benny Bunter

Got a couple of Vargas Llosa's novels in the house but I don't like the look of them, but I did read a collection of his earliest short stories and they were great, especially one called The Cubs about kid who has a particularly tragic, emasculating let's say, accident.

version

The one I read was called Death in the Andes. It was alright, but dragged a bit and there was something clunky about it, perhaps due to the translation. I enjoyed hearing about the Peruvian folklore around this vampiric thing that feeds on human fat and the stuff about Shining Path though.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Shining Path were in the background in this one, problem is that always reminds me of a conversation years ago with an idiot/friend about ordering food "What's that Chinese restaurant called? I think it's Happy Garden or Shining Path or something".

luka

im reading tim powers the drawing of the dark. ive read it before but it was years ago so ive forgotten it. much better than mason & dixon. tim powers was one of the only novellists k-punk would read.

craner

Beast of Burden
im reading tim powers the drawing of the dark. ive read it before but it was years ago so ive forgotten it. much better than mason & dixon. tim powers was one of the only novellists k-punk would read.

He liked that guy who wrote about striking miners in Yorkshire too