version

I’m in Boston tonight, stole a grip of books from the Harvard bookstore #fuckharvard

Good-Will-Hunting-good-will-hunting-27190941-1024-768.jpg

dilbert1

“You just got finished reading some French Enlightenment political philosopher, Rousseau probably, you’re gonna be convinced of that until next month when you get to the German Idealists, then you’re gonna be talking about how world history is progress in the consciousness of freedom, a progress that we must come to know in its necessity.”

IdleRich

IdleRich
Bought White Jazz by Ellroy in a second hand bookshop yesterday, they also had LA Confidential but I left that cos seen the film loads of times... almost finished White Jazz so went and bought LA Confidential cos I need more... though that's on the qt and very hush hush.

william_kent

Bought White Jazz by Ellroy in a second hand bookshop yesterday, they also had LA Confidential but I left that cos seen the film loads of times... almost finished White Jazz so went and bought LA Confidential cos I need more... though that's on the qt and very hush hush.

they left a lot out of the LA Confidential film

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah and seeing as Dudley Walsh is alive in the next one they added some in too.
From the slick trick with the donkey dick... something of an obsession with Ellroy it seems.

william_kent

a couple of weeks ago I read CARNAGE - A SUCCULENT CHINESE MEAL, MR RENT-A-KILL AND THE AUSTRALIAN MANSON MURDERS

'true crime at its grim and entertaining best' according to the blurb

this makes me fear ever visiting Australia ( in the 1970s, to be fair, luckily I do not own a time machine, but I do have a manual to make one - that's a Michael Bertiaux Voudon Gnostic Workbook joke by the way )

a typical night out with some of the 70s St Kilda crew:

a witness was about to pick up his car from the car park when he saw Sheryle's Holden FB speeding along the street. The two men inside, he said' were driving 'in an erratic manner, the engine was stalling, and revving very hard.' The FB swerved hard right into the car park , hit a cyclone fence and stalled. The driver then reversed into a parked station wagon. The car stuttered and U-turned then screeched to a halt opposite the Car-O-Tel. Quinn and his accomplice jumped out and headed for the motel. The witness noticed a 'metallic object' in Quinn's hand [ ...] Pucar was drinking a can of Foster'swhen bandits burst in and shot him in the head. His left eye, said the government pathologist was 'completely blown away'.

the author tries to say, repeatedly, that he didn't want to write a book about serial killers because they would "get into his head" but then he quotes them with sicko stuff like this:

TRIGGER WARNING!

Amazingly I stabbed her 157 times. I hadn't stabbed anyone to death before.She fought surprisingly hard, and this fazed me. Because of this, when she was finally still, I decided to stab her more to make sure she was dead. ' Haigh was always keen to ensure his victims were dead. 'I intended to stab her twenty times', he said, 'and when I kept losing count I kept starting again, in the end I got sick of losing count so I just started stabbing the major organs and turning her over and stabbing her here and there. When I felt satisfied that there was no chance for a miraculous recovery, I stopped.'

the best book on the St Kilda crime scene I have ever read

an amazing indictment of the Australian homes for wayward boys system that churned out psychopathic monsters

soon to be a NETFLIX series ( true )

IdleRich

IdleRich
a couple of weeks ago I read CARNAGE - A SUCCULENT CHINESE MEAL, MR RENT-A-KILL AND THE AUSTRALIAN MANSON MURDERS

'true crime at its grim and entertaining best' according to the blurb

this makes me fear ever visiting Australia ( in the 1970s, to be fair, luckily I do not own a time machine, but I do have a manual to make one - that's a Michael Bertiaux Voudon Gnostic Workbook joke by the way )

a typical night out with some of the 70s St Kilda crew:

a witness was about to pick up his car from the car park when he saw Sheryle's Holden FB speeding along the street. The two men inside, he said' were driving 'in an erratic manner, the engine was stalling, and revving very hard.' The FB swerved hard right into the car park , hit a cyclone fence and stalled. The driver then reversed into a parked station wagon. The car stuttered and U-turned then screeched to a halt opposite the Car-O-Tel. Quinn and his accomplice jumped out and headed for the motel. The witness noticed a 'metallic object' in Quinn's hand [ ...] Pucar was drinking a can of Foster'swhen bandits burst in and shot him in the head. His left eye, said the government pathologist was 'completely blown away'.

the author tries to say, repeatedly, that he didn't want to write a book about serial killers because they would "get into his head" but then he quotes them with sicko stuff like this:

TRIGGER WARNING!

Amazingly I stabbed her 157 times. I hadn't stabbed anyone to death before.She fought surprisingly hard, and this fazed me. Because of this, when she was finally still, I decided to stab her more to make sure she was dead. ' Haigh was always keen to ensure his victims were dead. 'I intended to stab her twenty times', he said, 'and when I kept losing count I kept starting again, in the end I got sick of losing count so I just started stabbing the major organs and turning her over and stabbing her here and there. When I felt satisfied that there was no chance for a miraculous recovery, I stopped.'

the best book on the St Kilda crime scene I have ever read

an amazing indictment of the Australian homes for wayward boys system that churned out psychopathic monsters

soon to be a NETFLIX series ( true )

Did you ever see this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underbelly_(TV_series) my Australian friends tell me it's like The Wire but better (and true obviously)

william_kent

Did you ever see this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underbelly_(TV_series) my Australian friends tell me it's like The Wire but better (and true obviously)

no, but thanks for the tip!

I forgot to mention about how CHOPPER READ makes numerous appearances as background scenery in CARNAGE much to the chagrin of the author

I cannot recommend this book enough even though it is confused and confusing

it centres around this guy:

DEMOCRACY MANIFEST

and his relation to various "larrikins" in the Australian underworld

william_kent

when I was searching for some sort of next fix for THE WIRE I came across a Canadian series called INTELLIGENCE ( which featured the guy who played MAX HEADROOM, the face of the original NETWORK 23, as a Canuck Spook ), which was great and gripping but was cut short just after the season 2 finale / cliffhanger when the DEA [ spoiler alert prevents me typing more ]

it's a shame it got cancelled