droid

I liked the McCarthyesqe flourishes, but the plot and its world didn't really seem to justify it - like you say, it felt a bit like a 'serious' ITV drama with a literary edge.

luka

i picked up a couple of iris murdochs in heart foundation for £2 a pop. 30 pages in. peevish, cultivated, underemployed people. it has an independently wealthy woman named Rosa (mother was a Fabian) who inists on working at a factory out of solidarity with the working classes. a familiar figure of fun from mid 20th century novels. i've encountered the same character in novels by Wyndham Lewis and John Cowper Powys. a reassuringly and comfortingly boring book so far (only 30 pages in).

luka

[IMG alt="Corpsey"]https://www.dissensus.com/data/avatars/m/7/7638.jpg?1701370734[/IMG]

Corpsey

bandz ahoy​

It reminds me of a book a friend recommended to me years ago, I didn't get very far and perhaps it's nothing like it

en.m.wikipedia.org

If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things - Wikipedia

en.m.wikipedia.org
en.m.wikipedia.org

"summer water" which I read and quite enjoyed was like that too

"She doesn't know which photo to tag on Facebook. This photo of her on the beach in Thailand ten years ago. This photo of her and Harry hugging on the finishing line of the London Marathon. She suspects Harry even then was having the affair. Outside the window, rain falls like regrets."

Sort of thing

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I imagine that book won because it captures the social and political anxieties of our current moment or something.

luka

started reading owen glendower by john cowper powys and its made the iris murdoch seem really unappealing.

luka

it's got a teenage girl in it and old men are always tearing her dress off to reveal her teenage tits

jenks

thread death
Been aimlessly flitting between lots of stuff that just made me wonder what the actual point of reading is - just pointless vapid, narcissistic publishing - look at me, I made a book, it’s got no plot and the characters are me and my mates and we’re totally solipsistic but we went to university and can drop names and talk about art and philosophy…just dead stuff. Then I picked up Faulkner’s Light in August which i’d never got round to and it felt like that Television lyric ‘ I saw lightening strike itself’ or something similar. Proper electric writing.

version

Chandler, Farewell, My Lovely
Baudrillard, The System of Objects

The Chandler has an odd opening. It starts with Marlowe wandering out of some place, seeing this giant of a man force his way into a club, getting dragged in by him and being held up in there along with the staff while this bloke flings the bouncer across the room and shoots the owner. It's 0 - 60 within about two pages.

The Baudrillard kicks off with a typically slick line before getting into a Barthesian attempt at, well, a system of objects...

"Could we classify the luxuriant growth of objects as we do a flora or fauna, complete with tropical and glacial species, sudden mutations, and varieties threatened by extinction?"