DUBSTEP- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Quality in the sense of toughness and tightness.

Oh, I don't judge them by the standards of "proper" hip hop. What I'm probably saying, I think, is that it's a moody pop-rap classic.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Btw, to have another, more careful, go at the point that accidentally sparked the purism argument, consider
1) moaning gits like meself have been complaining for a while that mainstream drum and bass is shit because of (or at least would be better without) the lack of sparseness, atmosphere, rhythmic variation, soul, and because it goes a bit faster than we like.
2) At least some big name DJs and producers (cf Subvert Central, passim) have said that they'd love to play / produce that sort of music, but they can't because they need to put bread on the table and there'd be no audience is for that sort of stuff.
3) Droves of drum and bass heads are getting really into dubstep, which is at least a bit sparse, atmospheric, rhythmically varied, soulful and slow.
Conclusion: there are probably people who'd be interested in hearing sparse, atmospheric, rhythmically varied, soulful, slow drum and bass.

Yeah, it's hardly watertight, but it is tempting to believe. And generally, I'd have thought that people would find it interesting if, on hearing a new style of music that they liked, they tried to incorporate what they most like about it (either abstract things like 'atmosphere' or concrete things like 'that particular beat pattern' into what they were already doing, rather than jumping ship entirely. Come to think of it, it feels to me like dubstep does do that a lot, which is part of what makes it interesting.

mms

sometimes
Diggedy Derek said:
I was listening to that a lot driving around France last year, and it sounded immense to me. You might think it would have been dated somewhat, lyrically, by grime, but on the contrary, it somehow seems even better.

Partly it's the fact that it's actually rather similar lyrically to grime with the way it hammers along the same rhyme- you can imagine Wiley going something like "When I was a child I played subbuteo on / my table then I graduate to studio one / Cos D?s my nom de plume you know but 3?s my pseudonym / And around my neck you know I wear the sony budokan".

Perhaps more importantly, the fact that grime is a proper, genuinely urban sound means that we no longer have to pretend that insular, intimate stuff like Massive Attack and Portishead is the UK's "version" of hip hop. And as long as you don't expect Massive Attack to be the quality of of beats and rhymes that you find on a Stretch Armstrong tape, it's still really fresh. Perhaps in a way, it was one of the first "record collector" records, as it;s just them playing their favorite breaks and rapping over them. But when I was listening again, all these lines about "can't be with the one you love, than love the one your with" and the aforementioned namechecking of Subetteo and Studio One sounded beautifully honest, unpretentious and soulful.

However, on the same holiday, another thesis I was working on, that the Shamen were better than 808 State, turned out to be utter pish.

the fact that they pretty much whispered most of their lyrics was very cool too.
'i'm very down to earth my brain sits on top floor,to need another love just means i'm insecure' -
listened back to 808 state 90 etc the other day and realised just how rocky they were, almost like they were a big smelly drug fueled jugganaut. pushing all your slightly altered buttons with the huge sounds they used, no subtility at all.

Ned

Ruby Tuesday
mms said:
loads of those breakage, equinox, paradox types pull this off all over, some of them have a penchant for downright cheese too though.

Add Seba and Fracture & Neptune. But yeah what about that Robert Manos? His vocals are just the worst corporate-motivational-video neo-soul I've ever heard!

you could release blue lines now and it would still stand out and if you released it alongside Burial...hmmmm

But the thing is it's over 15 yrs old !!! I introduced my 12 yr old son to it and he got it straight away. I can't remember how many of the beats from that album I've replicated or how many times I've wanted an MC to do a whisper rap because of it. Easily the most influential record on me. Mad props to the 'wild bunch' as the UK equivalent and precursor of native tongues ATQC, JB's, de la, latifah and prince paul post stetsasonic. Revolutionary.

What is it with the Bristol/London thing ??? from wild bunch to soul to soul, metalheads to fullcycle and now DMZ to HENCH and Pinch.

As for d'n'b, clownstep pitched down and halved sounds like dubstep especially with the wobbly bits.

Shamen better than 808 state, yeah i'll buy that but Altern8 better than shamen and N-joi on a par just for the Saffron factor.

she was so hot, even in republica.

Don Rosco

Ned said:
Add Seba and Fracture & Neptune. But yeah what about that Robert Manos? His vocals are just the worst corporate-motivational-video neo-soul I've ever heard!

You know, usually, i'm not a big fan of full vocal tracks, or even singers in general, but there's something about RM that I really, really love. I know how cheesy he is, and he's way contrary to what I usually like, but I just can't help myself.

As I said earlier, there's no accounting for taste.

I guess we should be having this discussion in the jungle thread though.

On topic: The Calendah track from Dubstep Allstars 3 - Out? Available? One of my favourites at the moment.

^^^i rate that guys tunes too.

scubaripple1dz.gif

So whats happening with the dubstepforum compilation ?

Specsa

Wild Horses
Flying Squid said:
stupid question:

has kode 9 re-released his first three 10" singles already, along with Burial's EP?

Actually 4, or you're referring to something coming up?

Sign Of The Dub / Stalker (10") Hyperdub 2004
Spit (10") Hyperdub 2004
Kingstown (10") Hyperdub 2005
Backward / 9 Samurai (10") Hyperdub 2006

Oh, and hello Dissensus, my first post here!

boomnoise

♫
Flying Squid said:
stupid question:

has kode 9 re-released his first three 10" singles already, along with Burial's EP?

Just the burial's been repressed at the moment. But there definetly was/is plans to repress the early hyperdubs.

Specsa

Wild Horses
boomnoise said:
Just the burial's been repressed at the moment. But there definetly was/is plans to repress the early hyperdubs.

D'oh. Missed the 're' there. There has been some talk about re-releasing Sing Of The Dub at least..

Don Rosco

Don Rosco said:
On topic: The Calendah track from Dubstep Allstars 3 - Out? Available? One of my favourites at the moment.

Bad form to quote myself, I know, but I need to know what the story with this track is:

Calenda - Foreva

Anyone in the know shed any light? I want this tune bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.