craner

Beast of Burden
It is, as is The Paradine Case.

I don't mean that the films in the overrated list are bad, by the way. I mean that their reputations are inflated, particularly (at the moment anyway) Vertigo.

These Final Hours
Neville Shute's On The Beach must be the inspiration behind this end-of-days, big-hearted Australian movie. One particular scene towards the end got to me. Someone on IMDB has mentioned Blue Ruin in relation to it - good point, watch that too.

luka

I started watching beneath the volcano last night but 5 minutes in realised it was a joke sO I put on chopper instead which was really entertaining. I hate watching acting, it disgusts me but banas performance is unimpeachable

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
i saw ravenous (1999) recently

really loved it. sort of a campy reflection on morality and cannibalism and homoeroticism.
great soundtrack by michael nyman and damon albarn.

directed by the woman who directed Priest (1994)

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
The Stones Throw doc OUR VINYL WEIGHS A TON was pretty good. I sort of lost track of the label around 2004 - I think the last thing I bought was Madlib's (as Monk Hughes) a Tribute to Brother Weldon. It got me interested in the label again. The doc connected some dots for me. Recommended if you like the label. I am a huge fan of Madlib so it was a real treat seeing the footage of him - I have seen him spin a couple times, I feel lucky to occupy the planet at the same time as him. Apparently a big fan of shrooms, Madlib is.

luka

Shrooms have been around west coast hiphop circles for 20 years or more. One of the interesting things abt the west. I badly wanna go California

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
Interesting turn in the conversation.

I am a mushroom hunter.

There is a species of rare (but locally abundant) psychedelic mushroom, psilocybe ovoideocystidiata, that grows in a nice patch on the grounds of a nearby mansion. It will fruit at the end of next month for a couple weeks, and then in lesser numbers in October.

Personally, I find I can only stand to listen to spare acoustic music in that state. Anything else is TOO MUCH MAN!

168.gif

luka

I picked them in London over autumn but it took enormous amounts of time and energy. Slim pickings. An a pacific mushroom is apparently colonising the UK but I haven't seen it yet. It's wavy. It's was introduced in commercial woodchip

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
i haven't since independence day of last year
i burned myself out on them and have been trying to save up my endorphins for another journey

really just trying to be in a better place psychologically before peeking behind the curtain again

luka

I micro dosed this time, by necessity, a little under 2 grams so I could just mooch abt public places without seeming too too weird and also go to sleep at a normal time etc

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
yes, but the author of the Audubon mushroom field guide tells an excellent story about a mushroom trip. Gary Lincoff is a unique fellow - it isn't in the documentary but he commented elsewhere about the common names of mushrooms - apparently the publisher insisted that the guide list common names alongside scientific names. Since most mushrooms do not have common names, he pretty much sat at the pub and made them up.