Lichen

yes.

A question: did the Sidney Pollack chatacter have a have hand in the attempted murder or Michael Clayton?

crackerjack

yes.

A question: did the Sidney Pollack chatacter have a have hand in the attempted murder or Michael Clayton?

I don't think so - he was morally compromised, but not crooked. In fact, if the film had a weakness it was the solitary nature of Swinton's firefighting. I mean, a top lawyer would have to have a massive personal stake in the biz to go as far out on a limb as she did.

Jonesy

Wild Horses
Mysterious Skin. A measured but engaging drama telling the story of two teenage boys with a shared experience of sexual abuse in earlier childhood. Great performances and wonderfully paced. It also has a cracking soundtrack by Harold Budd and Robin Guthrie.

It puts me in mind of another intelligent and sensitive film on the subject, the Woodsman with Kevin Bacon. Not sure of the soundtrack but it stars Eve.

In these days of pedogeddon such films are welcome.

bnek

4 months 3 weeks and 2 days

trailer

ive not been as physically nervous in a film before, incredibly tense. best film ive seen in months...

IdleRich

IdleRich
I watched Visitor Q on the weekend - dunno about unreservedly recommend but I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to and also a lot more than Ichi The Killer which is by the same director (though not as much as Audition). In a way it appears some kind of homage to Teorama/Theorem the Pasolini film although it's kind of more like the opposite of that from what I remember (also the music isn't as good).
Plot summary here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visitor_Q

I'd probably agree with what it says at the bottom. The film does seem to be about the importance of the family and them getting back together is seen as an end worth justifying the means (which in the case of the father include having sex with a corpse and murdering the children bullying his son). It's actually quite a watchable film anyway.

crackerjack

Finally got round to The Lives Of Others last week. it is terrific if only for the way it reveals the subtle brutality of the state (the neighbour told to keep schtum or her daughter won't go to university) and the fear and self-interest that pervades at every level of the system.

But it could have done without the last 20 minutes - watching his redemption spelt out so loudly, it was almost soomething out of Spielberg.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
In a way it appears some kind of homage to Teorama/Theorem the Pasolini film although it's kind of more like the opposite of that from what I remember (also the music isn't as good).

That's so funny, when I screened it I showed it as a double bill with Theorem, they complement each other really well.

Guybrush

Dittohead
Waco: The Rules of Engagement (William Gazecki, 1997)
Intriguing documentary focusing mostly on the missteps and transgressions of the ATF and the FBI. Oddly enough, David Koresh, while still somewhat creepy, comes across as sensible compared to the trigger-happy law-enforcers. The clips from the congressional hearings are disheartening and lough-out-loud funny in equal doses.

Claire’s Knee (Eric Rohmer, 1970)
It’s like a French Lolita, only sensual rather than perverted. Great acting throughout. Béatrice Romand, in particular, is great in her role as a lovesick ingénue.

The Passenger (Michelangelo Antonioni, 1975)
Like most Antonioni films, it seems to go on for ages with nothing in particular happening; like most Antonioni films, its tableaux linger in your mind long after it’s gone. Jack Nicholson in great form.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
I watched 'The Passenger' for the first time the other week and really enjoyed it. Great use of the Gaudi rooftop architecture for one scene. I'm not sure about Antonioni, though. 'Blow-Up' is very overrated and poorly edited...in my humble opinion. I know he's famous for long takes of nothing happening but, really...

Guybrush

Dittohead
I see what you mean, and I mostly agree. I do think, however, that his films being gorgeous make them watchable to a far greater degree than many other art-house films, many of which can be a downright pain to sit through. The Casa Milà scenes were beautiful, absolutely, but I liked the scenes in the African hotel the most, I think. Watching them, I really felt transported to early 70s Africa, in the most hellish, hottest way possible, of course. Perfect!

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
Good dialogue too...that line about 'people disappearing' (?) when Nicholson says 'Yeah, every time they leave the room' - something like that. I think the combination of a major Hollywood star and Italian 'art house' is what partly makes it compelling.