luka

i watched the swimmer. it was about me. a tanned, powerfully built and charismatic man in late middle age, who's falling apart but doesn't realise it. i recommend it.

luka

black rain. now available on channel 4 website i unreservedly recommend this film. it's very good.

luka

it's cool man. i really like the villian, Sato. he looks brilliant and inspired the look of many manga characters and computer game characters. it is massively chauvinistic but it's hollywood. it did make me want to act more macho in my daily life. strut more, , shout, sulk, slam locker doors etc. michael douglas is an unappealing puffy presence, although he does have craner hair.

luka

There are many reasons to like Ridley Scott’s ‘Black Rain’ but for me it’s the film’s ability to contrast two cultures with a simmering respect that showcases how we are all but one race of people all trying to do the best we can with what we have, and that no matter how hard it might seem to do what’s right, we cannot allow greed and avarice to prevail.

shakahislop

watched frantic just now. first time i've seen a polanski movie so far as i know.

films this old look like they're coming from another planet now. i watched ten minutes of last night in soho just before and turned it off coz it was so offputting. not fair to compare something average to a master of course, but the films that come onto my radar which are getting made now, i've said before, they feel so flimsy in comparison.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
watched frantic just now. first time i've seen a polanski movie so far as i know.

films this old look like they're coming from another planet now. i watched ten minutes of last night in soho just before and turned it off coz it was so offputting. not fair to compare something average to a master of course, but the films that come onto my radar which are getting made now, i've said before, they feel so flimsy in comparison.
Yeah I found SoHo pretty unimpressive as well, perhaps my least favorite Wright film I've seen so far.

shakahislop

Yeah I found SoHo pretty unimpressive as well, perhaps my least favorite Wright film I've seen so far.
it is really striking how much the middle class imagination dominates uk film. the ten minutes i saw put me off coz of that. it's a particular structure of feeling / set of sentiments i find alienating.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
it is really striking how much the middle class imagination dominates uk film. the ten minutes i saw put me off coz of that. it's a particular structure of feeling / set of sentiments i find alienating.
Ha, those petty midlings seeking self-actualization. Pathetic!

IdleRich

IdleRich
Saw this Australian film called Limbo the other day, I almost put this in the hardboiled thread cos that's what it starts out as, but really it goes in a slightly different direction from expected - in truth it goes in no direction and is maybe the better for it.

Tough tattooed junky detective turns up in horrifically bleak no horse mining town to investigate the unsolved murder of an Aboriginal girl from twenty years back. Shot in crisp black and white the film ultimately just revels in the pointless, lonely, alcoholic emptiness of nowheresville where people live in trailers or literally in caves carved out of the weird rock, searching for precious stones in abandoned mines, barely speaking to another person for days on end. There are a lot of things that do basically the same thing I guess but this one just was a superior example.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Open Your Eyes - weird and in moments quite creepy Spanish film from the 90s. Ending a bit silly maybe but at times the descent into hallucinatory madness is actually unsettling. Also has an early role for Penelope Cruz getting her norks out if the first part of the description doesn't grab you.

Tagline - Eyes Without a Face meets The Matrix but without the cyberdog aesthetic