JERRY DAMMERS at the Tritptyque in Paris this Friday 27th of Jan

flashos

Hello Dissensus members and guests!!

I know this notice is very late in the day but I only received the flyer attachment yesterday...anyway, I am very chuffed to let you know about this exceptional event which will unfold at the Triptyque venue in Paris, this friday the 27th of January.

Yes, the resident djs "the Rolls Ayer crew" have managed to lockdown a very special guest appearance from the mythic "Wolfman" Mr Jerry Dammers (The Specials /Two tone records) for this "Speciale Brixton" edition.

Founding member of one of the most important bands and labels of the late 70s, early 80s (The Specials /Two tone records), Jerry Dammers has now become a Dj of enormous reputation, performing at all the major do's of the calendar. Spinning vintage Reggae, Ska, Rocksteady with Funk, Librairies but also Jungle, Hip-Hop and Grime. He has recently supported live acts such as Johnny Clarke, Desmond Dekker and trendy bands like Hard-Fi.

This Friday, the Triptyque will be plunged in a musical showdown between the electric sounds of resident Parisian boys, puSHER mix and Molia 75 blending the best of P-Funk, Afrobeat, Hip-Hop and Electro to the contrasting sounds of the urban South London boys Jerry Dammers and yes...moi in support Mr Sacha, rinsing crucial bootlegs and original 7"s...right!

Basically, you can't miss this one...especially if you're an expat Londoner in Paris!

Party starts at 23h and finishes at 06h.

Hope to see you and all your mates there!

Flashos

Le Triptyque, 142 Rue Montmartre, Paris 75002

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
Has anyone caught one of his sets?

I would love to know how his mix of "vintage Reggae, Ska, Rocksteady with Funk, Librairies but also Jungle, Hip-Hop and Grime" comes out. Ska is and has been my favorite genre, and Ive always had a special place for Mr Dammers.

flashos

Hey Woebot,

thanks for putting the night on your blog, very good of you!

Check this out:

http://music.search.ebay.com folkways_Records_W0QQcatrefZC11QQfromZR40QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsacatZ306

for more Folkways bits, yes incredible label!

One of the most sought after Jazz lps on the circuit is an Eastern funk independent Jazz thing by the East New York Ensemble called "At the Helm", on what label?...Folkways of course!

Also my father had an Henry Cowell (he taught John Cage amongst others) lp on Folkways too, probably one of my first encounters with strange music!

Woebot

flashos, big boy, you need to start a folkways thread! :)

isn't black christ of the andes, that mary lou williams record on folkways?

PeteUM

It's all grist
Freakaholic said:
Has anyone caught one of his sets?

I would love to know how his mix of "vintage Reggae, Ska, Rocksteady with Funk, Librairies but also Jungle, Hip-Hop and Grime" comes out. Ska is and has been my favorite genre, and Ive always had a special place for Mr Dammers.

I read a book about 2-Tone a while back, and since I can't recall the author or title I have to wonder how much went in. However, I do remember that Dammers seems to come across as a thoroughly decent individual who was in the music business for all the right reasons etc etc. I consider 2-Tone a flower of British culture :D and I too would like to know what a Dammers DJ set sounds like.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I seem to remember him dj-ing about four years ago at a 100% Dynamite night or something like that, is that possible? Strangely enough he didn't play any grime or indeed anything that wasn't reggae or ska but if memory serves I enjoyed the set. Sorry, that's not really that informative.

flashos

"...However, I do remember that Dammers seems to come across as a thoroughly decent individual who was in the music business for all the right reasons etc etc. I consider 2-Tone a flower of British culture and I too would like to know what a Dammers DJ set sounds like...."

Hey PeteUM,

like what you say!..yes he is thoroughly decent person...

If you want to catch him Dj in a low key setting, you should go and check him out at his monthly in Herne Hill (near Brixton). First Friday of the month...he starts off with his library set and ends with Jungle and Grime (he loves the sound of underground urban music).

bassnation

the abyss
flashos said:
If you want to catch him Dj in a low key setting, you should go and check him out at his monthly in Herne Hill (near Brixton). First Friday of the month...he starts off with his library set and ends with Jungle and Grime (he loves the sound of underground urban music).

he plays in herne hill? i might check that out as i'm down that neck of the woods quite a lot each week. do you know which pub he plays in?

flashos

what a night

Yo Mr Woebot,

have just gotten back to my brother's pad and it's close to 1 o'clock in the afternoon next day.

What a night...Jerry did us a top "tune after tune" set and rocked the place from 1h30 to 03h50...lots of nerves at the beginning but by 12h45 people were everywhere and ready to boogie. I played amongst other things that Abwarts 7" and it dropped nicely...it's that fascist /arty communist dichotomy that I found particularly appropriate. Played just before Jerry and the place responded very warmly to "my cheeky frenchman in Brixton style" (really mixed it up ;-)). What can I say it was a party and its a wrap...taking Jerry to hunt the old sylos now before he goes back to London this evening...now that's dedication isn't it?

Jerry was telling us of his first gig in Paris at the Gibus back in 79 when the manager of the hotel where they were staying at, suddenly confiscated all their guitars as the group The Damned had trashed the place a week before and he hated english punk musicians. The manager of the Gibus ended up threatening the man at gunpoint (Jamaican stylee) to let go of the equipment or else...the show went on...

Anyway, have had 4 hours sleep next to a 6"2 blonde from LA in an amazing house in uber cool Montmartre and I should finish it here and slip into my favourite habitat...a hot bath, yahey!

Here's something I found earlier for you:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4827686293&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:UK:1

Love you old boy

Flashos

PS: Gwen showed up in a very fetching overcoat and we talked about that Italian Harp library lp...

Last edited: