WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
would encourage anyone from outside Britain to study such scenes available in Indoor games, from Truman’s caricature modes of northern communicative obstinacy, to the litany of games people in Britain played before the nation really discovered drugs

shove a’penny teams and league tables were printed in the Friday edition of the local rag - where are your leagues nowwwww?

through such a filter it becomes possible to observe how drugs solved as many problems as they created across this isle

william_kent

got the correct thread

View attachment 17611

my old giro drop is visible on the left of this photo

I was once too lazy to use the stairs and took that lift to the right; it ground to a halt to reveal about a millimetre of light and an expanse of dirty grey concrete which gave me time to read the various graffiti before I was rescued, one of which was a fake advert for SMACKATTAK's new 12" "Too Junked To Funk"

william_kent

Hulme Crescents, Manchester

Streets in the sky
a place where you could score
and get high
without your feet touching the floor

same footpath, different angle ( second photo courtesy @WashYourHands )

first photo, you can see the phone box where I reported my first dead body

second photo, you can see my giro drop

william_kent

true story: Giro day, I headed out to the post office with my giro cheque in hand, some old guy was sparked out on the walkway on the block in the top picture and he looked kind of blue, I nudged him with my foot and he didn't move, so "needs must" I cashed my cheque and then called an ambulance from the phone box in the first photo once I had my cash in my pocket, the bobby told me "have a cup of tea' so I did and I may have rolled up a spliff

"not like he was going anywhere`"

I miss those days

mixed_biscuits

william_kent

That reminds me of some hard-as-nails techno/hardcore track on a DJ Clarkee(?) mix with an 'I was about to turn blue' sample (I think)...who made it?! grrr

there was a crew of crusties in Hulme, Manchester, UK one of whom was called "clarkee" and who lost a leg and ended up in a wheelchair because 'smack', but the one I really remember was "Nelly" who had ( and this was was eons before 'soundcloud rap' ) a tattoo on his forehead that defiantly said "FUCK OFF AND DIE" but it was so amateur that by the time he was arrested for having an "offensive tattoo" the ink had faded and it said "FUCK OFF AND DIG" *

pretty sure he is dead now

either that or he is a drugs counsellor

* it pains me that I even have to explain that "dig" is a Manchester and / or Northern euphemism for injecting controlled substances

william_kent

we had a mate who was affectionately? nicknamed"BLUEY" because of the time he was carted off in an ambulance because "lightweight'

william_kent

the second photo ( courtesy @WashYourHands ) obscures the ground, but that was where I had a 30 second interaction with A Guy Called Gerald thanks to the 'life model" me and my mate were walking along with who accosted him and said "are you Gerald?'