Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
it was very bleak, it said five year olds in britain are smaller now than in 2010 because of malnutrition. that there are food banks everywhere, that many school buildings are on the verge of collapsing, that everybody above the age of fifty is on a mobility scooter and that you can't swim in the sea anymore because they're dumping sewage water in it.
Yes, I heard about the height thing. It's pretty fucked up.

Basically the new government is going to be in firefighting mode from day 1 just to stop things getting any worse, never mind trying to actually reverse some of the damage.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
Yes, I heard about the height thing. It's pretty fucked up.

Basically the new government is going to be in firefighting mode from day 1 just to stop things getting any worse, never mind trying to actually reverse some of the damage.
but what are you gonna do about cities in decay, there is no work or industry in these cities right? isn't it an irreversible process?

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
i mean, you can fix school buildings of course, and you can improve healthcare and all that. but it won't change the fact that englands economy is almost synonymous with london.

IdleRich

IdleRich
can you describe your town or city centre version and how it has changed in the last ten or fifteen years? i wanna know how trustworthy this thing i saw on television was.

Yeah one hundred percent true, a bit like Reagan saying ketchup was a vegetable, we had to get round the lack by cheating

1000002378.jpg

IdleRich

IdleRich
is anyone here from middlesbrough?

I'm not from there.... however, fifteen years back or so I hired a car to go on holiday in Whitby with a gf, I remember breasting a hill and seeing this horrific and terrifying sight; something like the pit of hell, just fires and smoke belching from countless massive chimneys. It looked like a scene from The Mad God or something. Driving along going, seriously what the fuck is that? Turned out it was Middlesbrough.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
I'm not from there.... however, fifteen years back or so I hired a car to go on holiday in Whitby with a gf, I remember breasting a hill and seeing this horrific and terrifying sight; something like the pit of hell, just fires and smoke belching from countless massive chimneys. It looked like a scene from The Mad God or something. Driving along going, seriously what the fuck is that? Turned out it was Middlesbrough.
but i'm assuming these chimneys are from heavy industrial plants no? are those still active?

IdleRich

IdleRich
I guess so....

1000002379.jpg

1000002381.jpg

1000002380.jpg

1000002382.jpg

Those pictures don't capture the true horror. But driving through countryside and suddenly being confronted with the above was genuinely shocking.

mixed_biscuits

it was very bleak, it said five year olds in britain are smaller now than in 2010 because of malnutrition. that there are food banks everywhere, that many school buildings are on the verge of collapsing, that everybody above the age of fifty is on a mobility scooter and that you can't swim in the sea anymore because they're dumping sewage water in it.
I've read that about American babies too. I think much of the rest is correct, if maybe not the scale.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
when someone says Middlesbrough I think of Juninho, Ravanelli and maybe someone else late 90’s losing games in waterlogged hellholes

version

There's now a manhunt underway in Bristol after some bloke dumped "two suitcases of human remains" at Clifton Suspension Bridge.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
There's now a manhunt underway in Bristol after some bloke dumped "two suitcases of human remains" at Clifton Suspension Bridge.
Must be one of these luxury suicides I've heard about. Basically, instead of hurling yourself off Clifton Suspension Bridge (which takes a lot of balls and isn't guaranteed to kill you instantly) you pay someone to murder you quickly and neatly and then throw you off the bridge once you're already dead.

william_kent

back on track - proper Grim Brittania from the 80s

I've just finished "Pocket Money" by Gordon Burn ( I'm so disappointed to find out today that he wasn't the guy that presented the Krypton Factor! I've a fuck of a lot of explaining to do...), a tour de force about the attempt to make Snooker a money making family friendly sport in the 1980s

there's an amazing sequence where he describes an amateur tournament hosted by Butlins at Barry Island:

It was an old camp, built in the years immediately following the War, an unkempt, gerry-built, sprawling, dispiriting kind of place. Tower Hamlets-sur-mer. Toxteth-by-the-sea. Accommodation was in low-rise tenements with flooded landings, and weather-warped, candy-coloured doors. With steep cliffs on one side and high, barbed-wire-topped fences on the other three, there was little chance of unauthorised persons gaining entry. In fact, and hardly surprising given the conditions, traffic was very much the other way. As soon as they had been eliminated from the tournament, the tendency was for players to sling their keys into the concrete hangar marked 'Reception', and make an immediate escape.

Those remaining hung around the games hall, whether they were competing or just killing time between matches, because it was the only refuge from the cold. It was a huge area, as wide and as high as one level of multi-storey car park, and as about as inviting. It was heated by roaring electric braziers the size of crematoria, and kept to human proportions by sets of heavy black-out drapes. Behind one set was a bowling alley and a television; behind another was a television and a video featuring non-stop Sylvester Stallone and Chuck Norris, or a small stage featuring musical cabaret, depending on the time of day.

The only real activity occurred at 1:00 and again at 5:30 when there was a stampede for the stairs leading down to the canteen. There, local girls with chilblained legs and plastic hairnets dispensed bread and marge, brown sauce in plastic sachets, and gluey soup and lumpy custard from big aluminium jugs. Twenty-year-old Christmas decorations had been strung up to take the chill off the slabs of icy Formica.

edit: any emphasis in that quotation was mine, it actually goes on for a full chapter but I couldn't be arsed typing the whole thing out

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
back on track - proper Grim Brittania from the 80s

I've just finished "Pocket Money" by Gordon Burn ( I'm so disappointed to find out today that he wasn't the guy that presented the Krypton Factor! I've a fuck of a lot of explaining to do...), a tour de force about the attempt to make Snooker a money making family friendly sport in the 1980s

there's an amazing sequence where he describes an amateur tournament hosted by Butlins at Barry Island:

edit: any emphasis in that quotation was mine, it actually goes on for a full chapter but I couldn't be arsed typing the whole thing out
I'm glad you did! That was depressing as fuck, but also cheered me up by reminding me that I'm not there and never will be.

william_kent

I'm glad you did! That was depressing as fuck, but also cheered me up by reminding me that I'm not there and never will be.

Once I was walking down the high street of wherever I lived when I was about 16 and a stolen car pulled up and "B" leaned out and announced "we're off to Barry Island - hop in!" and I made my excuses

I don't regret my decision