Benny Bunter

I've been reading a lot of what you might call meditative poetry recently, where you have to slow your pace right down and consider every word, so this has been a brilliant contrast to that. It's like teen rock star poetry, the sort of energy that could only come from a young wild man. Doesn't matter at all that he gave it all up so early, where would be have gone from here if he'd carried on?

Benny Bunter

That's the key line I reckon and that's what he's doing throughout, acting out every conceivable role that enters in his head, and that's why it's also so funny

Benny Bunter

It's a total poetic vision in that he accepts everything and rejects everything at the same time, in the same moment, it all goes on the page

Benny Bunter

Enough! This is the punishment. - Forward march!
Ah! My lungs burn, my head throbs! night rolls in my eyes beneath this sunlight! My heart... My limbs...
Where are we going? into battle? I am weak! the others are advancing. Tools, weapons... time!...
Fire! fire at me! Go on, or I'll surrender. - Cowards! - I shall kill myself! I shall throw myself under the horses' hooves!
Ah!...
- I'll get used to it.
That would be the French way of life, the path of honour!

Benny Bunter

He manages to inhabit one extreme position and it's exact opposite extreme at the same time, at all times, no middle ground, intensity turned up to maximum.

Benny Bunter

I have got a job! Took the day off so I could read Rambo.

Just woke up and my face feels all puffy urgh. Back out again in a minute

Benny Bunter

Tried to pick the rambo up from where I left off earlier (what page?) but the effect has worn off now, best save it for another day.

woops

is not like other people
in case you don't know the guy who wrote the Rambo novel was a big fan of Rimbaud and etc

Benny Bunter

Yeah isn't that why he called it Rambo in the first place just cos he liked Rimbaud? Not sure what the connection is apart from that but it's a good story

Any thicko could enjoy Rimbaud/Rambo though without any prior learning so maybe it's not too surprising