The New World

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Damn I did not have that experience lol

That's cool though
Yeah that’s why it stuck with me so much. The medium of film was seen there as a way to edit space and time, that thanks to film we can now have plastic representations of space and time.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Battleship Potemkin is an example where my priority for picking it was less driven by enjoyment and more by respect. The General I thoroughly enjoy, really any Keaton and Chaplin I enjoy, but I just wanted to pick one of each.

Harold Lloyd not so much.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Yeah that’s why it stuck with me so much. The medium of film was seen there as a way to edit space and time, that thanks to film we can now have plastic representations of space and time.
In terms of a new medium being added to the collective toolbox. I think by this point film had been around for around 50 years though.

Crazy to think that film as we know it is almost 150 years old.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Well this is an interesting point, because I’ve seen Men in Black III probably eight or nine times now, and I really enjoy it, and it probably should be on my favorite 100 - but at the same time, if I had to bring 100 films on a remote island, alone and where ostentation has no motive, I’m not sure I would include it.

Surely on a remote island you'd want the comfort of your favourite film, MIBIII.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I enjoy trashy films a lot more than trashy music. Not cheesy, n.b., I can enjoy cheesy music. But not incompetent trash, the musical equivalent of Highlander.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Don a kilt as a Frenchman then, as a Scot, *never die

Ok there‘s an obvious catch with *immortality here but don’t want to ruin it for you, just know going in that no amount of drugs consumed can raise it above being a war crime against Scotland

Chuck Zardoz on, flying heads, immortal conundrums just extra tramadol for Gus with Sean in a mankini

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The lead actor has something wrong with him, possibly just being a terrible actor. The only Scottish person in it (Sean Connery) is playing a Spaniard (with a Scottish accent). There's a terrible sex scene in it. A terrible swordfight in a car park. It was one of those rare trash films that are entertainingly bad.

sus

Each of Malick’s films contains imagery of some sort of Eden, of Paradise found and Paradise lost. Whether a hidden treehouse hideout (Badlands), an idyllic farm life amidst glistening wheat fields (Days of Heaven), or a Thoreau-esque residency in the primal forests and tropics (The Thin Red Line and The New World), each Malick film beautifully portrays a blissful period of utopian living, followed by the loss of it—usually on account of sin. Malick’s films evocatively capture Edenic visions of perfection and natural beauty, and then, in their lack, a visceral groaning for renewal and reconciliation. The films are haunted by memories, reveries, vestiges of a more perfect, unified creation, and each film leaves a lingering feeling that redemption is still—somehow, somewhere—within reach.

sus

His protagonists are frequently children, or at least “child-like” in their points of view. In Badlands, Sissy Spacek and Martin Sheen play outlaws on the run, living a Tom Sawyer-type adventure, as innocently and whimsically as is possible for a murder spree aside. Days of Heaven and The New World both prominently feature the perspectives of innocent young girls, curiously exploring and experiencing the good, bad and ugly in the world around them. But the most significant child-like perspective in Malick’s films is Malick himself. The director’s gaze is thoroughly investigative, observational, awestruck and curious about creation, discovering wonder all around.