subtek - "dubliminal minded 2" (2 step / garage / ragga mix)

dsp13

GAMEBWOY
I downloaded this mix 2 or three years ago and was tangentially reminded of it by the el-b thread. Never had much exposure to 2 step and garage before I got into grime. anyway... this is a tight, dope mix of some social circles tracks (sticky's label) w donaeo mc, mc tubby t (?) some soulful girl vocals that are actually good for a change, some of so solid's better moments + some really dope more fire crew remixes of elephant man and sean paul tracks. It's big, bouncy, bass heavy and really f*^king upbeat without being too cheesy.

it's the mix at the top of this archive page... subtek : "dubliminal minded vol 2"

dsp13

GAMEBWOY
p.s. anyone wanna reccomend some similar mixes or maybe some darker proto-grime stuff? I've always been curious about what audio gems from this scene I missed out on. This subtek guy seemed to be pretty well up on it considering he's american but then he's one of the peeps repping grime stateside now.

When I said "garage" to my London friends in Japan they sneered and said cheesy shite garage was all they'd hear in pubs over there... they'd never heard of Dizzee Rascall or Grime though!