Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
If you are in a position of writing/verifying/advising public policy, that is. The adversity here is more than I can fathom, but that neednt dissuade one from learning more and crafting more innovation solitons that better account for the incentives of your adversaries, whether than means beating them or compromising with them.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I don't really think there's anyone that can be trusted with the kind of power these people are seeking.
But what is the alternative here, that algorithms make these executive decisions? Not something I’m categorically opposed to, but I struggle to conceive of a sufficiently accountable and democratic mechanism to exert oversight over such algorithmic executives.

Much of my doubt here revolves around our seemingly insufficient understanding of the impact of these technologies, socially, psychologically, physiologically, environmentally, etc.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Anyone in a position to exert any sort of influence over this stuff will be exactly the kind of person who led us to this point in the first place.
Well there is a radically alternative option which involves simply building a successor system beyond the scope and apprehension of the state, which is largely what is happening with blockchain.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Anyone in a position to exert any sort of influence over this stuff will be exactly the kind of person who led us to this point in the first place.
To me this emphasizes the need for better political systems engineering.

I think the separation of powers is a significant buffer for the degree of corruption that would plague a monarchy/church arrangement of power, I.e I believe progress is being made, but I’m hardly a thorough historian.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I wouldn't be surprised to see any attempt to construct another system go the same way. I just don't trust anyone who actively pursues that sort of power.
This is why I am so interested in this notion of a public executive, for largely the same reasons you are voicing here.

It would seem the closest thing to a middle ground I can think of, between unaccountable human CEOs and complex but programmable AI ceos.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Maybe these sentiments will be worth more once I am able to think like an elite’s financial advisor, or maybe they won’t. But along the way the experience will be more robust and meaningful.

version

My argument of opposing power would end up causing the same problem if you took it to its logical conclusion as you'd just end up with a free for all and survival of the fittest. It doesn't seem realistic to think you can completely evade it.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
My argument of opposing power would end up causing the same problem if you took it to its logical conclusion as you'd just end up with a free for all and survival of the fittest.
Yeah I agree, I’d rather just believe in our ability to sort out our problems, as corny as that may sound to you jaded vets of the universe.

version

I think the separation of powers is a significant buffer for the degree of corruption that would plague a monarchy/church arrangement of power,
Yeah, I suppose this is the best we can hope for. Some sort of decentralised governance which affords enough power to keep things running, but not enough to reach the current levels of corruption.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Even I f I end up just thinking idly through my life, which I highly doubt will happen, it still will have been a revelatory and sublime experience. Personally I’d rather find an outlet so that whatever utility I pose for systems design may be realized.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Yeah, I suppose this is the best we can hope for. Some sort of decentralised governance which affords enough power to keep things running, but not enough to reach the current levels of corruption.
Yeah I think Citizens United represents a major flaw in our system here in the US, and I would imagine that systems in the UK have comparable statutes.