METAL! Discuss

tom pr

God I'm jealous of all you olders that have seen Swans live. it's such a shame all the LPs are out of print, I'm managed to get some (got both the World of Skin ones for a fiver a couple of years ago) but even stuff like the Burning World goes for 20 quid on ebay. The two 4 one CD releases on Young God just aren't the same...

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
When I get round to it I'm going to do some dubstep refixes of Swans tunes. Imagine A Screw or Holy Money at half step? Devastating...

Another thing I want to do as halfstep... the coil mix of NiN's Gave Up. Imagine those massive churning bass riffs at 70 / 140... anyone else fancy having a go? I won't get round to it for a bit...

You saw Swans at Speed Trials? Cool! The one that was recorded for the album, yeah? Great LP!

I saw em a couple of times... ULU 1984 IIRC was the best - probably the third best gig I've ever been to, after The Clash and The Abbyssinians. Totally overwhelming, Cop-era noise but utterly authentic emotion (that's why it's not metal). And, crucially, they had Mark Stewart and The Maffia in support, with Sherwood on the mix. That night was just something else.

Second time was Children of God tour in Leeds with Age of Chance in the audience behind me. Fantastic, hyper controlled acoustic violence. Still very, very good.

Kuma

The Konspirator
Have I mentioned before that dubstep = doom metal?

I have found memories of taking DJ /rupture out for breakfast the morning after a gig. He looked at the Sunn 0)) shirt I was wearing and just said "it makes perfect sense."

STN

sou'wester
I liked the Burzum that I've heard but the man is such an unparalleled prannock that I can't fully enjoy it, much less have it around the house.

vimothy

yurp
I liked the Burzum that I've heard but the man is such an unparalleled prannock that I can't fully enjoy it, much less have it around the house.

If you only listened to music by artists that aren't total prannocks, er, you'd get bored very, very quickly. Ditto art and literature in general. Artists are all self-obssessed arseholes with stupid political views and an extended fantasy life where their common sense should be. IMHO.

Get Filosofem and Hviss Lyset Tar Oss -- they rule like early Aphex mixed with early Bathory.

STN

sou'wester
Agreed, but he's a REALLY bad bloke. I can certainly handle liking someone who's a bit of a plum but he just seems a bridge too far. Great music; I'm not saying I won't let myself enjoy it, I actually can't enjoy it (I s'pose you could argue that these are the same thing but you know what I mean).

mms

sometimes
agreed you can't really listen to his music sometimes without thinking each song has some kind of brutal racism justifying intentions - even worse that it's sometimes a kind of huge romantic picturesque mythological way of justifying white supremacist ideas.

STN

sou'wester
Crippled Lucifer by Burning Witch is being rereleased on Southern Lord. I assume this is a good thing, having never actually bloody heard it.

Benny Bunter

Crippled Lucifer by Burning Witch is being rereleased on Southern Lord. I assume this is a good thing, having never actually bloody heard it.

Yeah its good that one, bit like Khanate only faster (well, it certainly couldn't be any slower!) Steve Albini recorded it I think. I've liked just about all the stuff Stephen O'Malley's been involved in. Anyone heard that Ginnungagap album? Really heavy folk-drone with scary monk chanting and tamboura. Lotus eaters are good too...

mms

sometimes
Yeah its good that one, bit like Khanate only faster (well, it certainly couldn't be any slower!) Steve Albini recorded it I think. I've liked just about all the stuff Stephen O'Malley's been involved in. Anyone heard that Ginnungagap album? Really heavy folk-drone with scary monk chanting and tamboura. Lotus eaters are good too...

i saw ginnungagap live years ago in a place above a garage in hackney - my very drunk friends were dancing 'expressively' amongst the band to them.

vimothy

yurp
Agreed, but he's a REALLY bad bloke. I can certainly handle liking someone who's a bit of a plum but he just seems a bridge too far. Great music; I'm not saying I won't let myself enjoy it, I actually can't enjoy it (I s'pose you could argue that these are the same thing but you know what I mean).

What about, say, reading Ezra Pound?

STN

sou'wester
Good point; he's not still around to profit if I read his poetry and thus his unpleasant views (and indeed actions) are not at the forefront of my mind when doing so. I'd be sort of happy to download vikernes's stuff without paying for it but I fear if I were to do so he might track me down and feed me to a wolf.

What about, say, reading Ezra Pound?

i realise you're making a generalisation, but it's pretty fatuous to suggest varg vikernes has equal aesthetic import to ezra pound, whose best work can be entirely seperated from the man himself. it can stand alone- not the case with varg i don't think. if anything the effect of what he does is somewhat contingent on his personal notoriety :rolleyes:

vimothy

yurp
i realise you're making a generalisation, but it's pretty fatuous to suggest varg vikernes has equal aesthetic import to ezra pound, whose best work can be entirely seperated from the man himself. it can stand alone- not the case with varg i don't think. if anything the effect of what he does is somewhat contingent on his personal notoriety :rolleyes:

I don't think that the quality of the work has anything to do with it, and it's a deeply subjective question, in any case. My point is merely that lots of artists have / had unpleasant views, which we neither support nor even generally consider when we consume their work.

Personally I don't feel like a Blood & Soil fascist when I listen to Burzum (or read Pound), in the same way that I don't feel like an anarcho-crusty when I listen to Crass or Conflict, or a hardline SXE vegan nihilist when I listen to Earth Crisis.

In this case the beliefs and music aren't seperable, it's communicative of the puny misanthropy of the extreme "pagan" right wing, it isn't great heavy metal. Varg vikernes is primarily known for his sociopathic views and acts. they have made him totemic to some and inform his music. the music does not transcend them... it doesn't even try to!
although i suppose that may be what he's attempting with the whole ambient "direction"...i don't deny him his "voice" but when i see a goth in burzum t shirt it annoys me- just what they're aiming for of course ;)

Leo

what's the deal with douglas p./death in june? don't know too much about him/them, just that they seem to bother a lot of people. is it the same sort of problem we've been discussing here?