Burial interview @ Blackdown/Burial album

elgato

I just dont know
jay-s said:
i'm afraid it's perfectly true that dubstep lacks energy on pretty much every level. i suppose it's a matter of taste as well, but if you have experience with all the different styles of club music dubstep can't possibly rank high in this regard. there are exceptions, of course, but not enough of them.

its certainly not 'perfectly true', thats ridiculous! I have experience of many many different forms of high energy 'club music' and agree...its a different energy to others, but ive gone as mad at a dubstep rave as I have at jungle, hard-techno, drum and bass, house, breakcore, whatever you want to mention. Of course you may not feel the same way, and what can I say about that but to say it as fact that it lacks energy on any level is ludicrous

elgato

I just dont know
DJL said:
A large public audience is the desired end result

A bit of a presumption if you ask me. Depends who you're talking about. Im sure artists want to sustain themselves, but I dont think growth should be equated with improvement. Change and development are obviously good and probably necessary, but its about quality not quantity. I dont agree about e=definite good vibes, ive been to many a rave with an overwhelming md culture and i dont think its necessary for a nor the best way forward. The vibes ive felt at some dubstep nights have smashed them to pieces. And i want a scene which welcomes people whether they want to get mashed or not (which an overwhelmingly e-orientated culture does not necessarily do). If people want that then obviously thats fine but its not the only way forward

jay-s

elgato said:
its certainly not 'perfectly true', thats ridiculous! I have experience of many many different forms of high energy 'club music' and agree...its a different energy to others, but ive gone as mad at a dubstep rave as I have at jungle, hard-techno, drum and bass, house, breakcore, whatever you want to mention. Of course you may not feel the same way, and what can I say about that but to say it as fact that it lacks energy on any level is ludicrous
this is only true in the sense that you can get enough energy out of any kind of music. club music needs to have a more immediate impact, though. and perhaps it is not "perfectly" true, but it's true from the point of view from just a bit too many people. and compared to where dubstep comes from it simply lacks energy, unfortunately. and it's not that i don't like it even.

elgato

I just dont know
jay-s said:
this is only true in the sense that you can get enough energy out of any kind of music. club music needs to have a more immediate impact, though. and perhaps it is not "perfectly" true, but it's true from the point of view from just a bit too many people. and compared to where dubstep comes from it simply lacks energy, unfortunately. and it's not that i don't like it even.

I dont think 'club' music 'needs' to be anything really, it can be what it wants in my opinion...fair enough if people dont like it, they dont have to go, but to say something should be this or that so that more people will like it just seems odd to me. This has all gone a bit off topic tho hasnt it maybe it should be left alone

DJL

i'm joking
elgato said:
A bit of a presumption if you ask me. Depends who you're talking about. Im sure artists want to sustain themselves, but I dont think growth should be equated with improvement. Change and development are obviously good and probably necessary, but its about quality not quantity. I dont agree about e=definite good vibes, ive been to many a rave with an overwhelming md culture and i dont think its necessary for a nor the best way forward. The vibes ive felt at some dubstep nights have smashed them to pieces. And i want a scene which welcomes people whether they want to get mashed or not (which an overwhelmingly e-orientated culture does not necessarily do). If people want that then obviously thats fine but its not the only way forward

What is the goal then? To externalise emotion or to make a living or what? The whole e thing is really about un-demonising this particular drug. Who cares if people are chewing their own faces off at the rave. The 'freaks' etc are part of the experience. You need the e heads in the rave. The position at the moment is against them but they are the key ingredient. Political Correctness has infilatrated everything. I want to see people losing their minds and going crazy. The essence of the whole thing is acceptance of everyone no matter what.

DJL

i'm joking
Anyway, its clear that burial has had some major effect. That music can cause such a thing is the most noteworthy point in my head.

People are lost and looking for answers and music is such a vital part of everyones life. This topic is way off course still.

Last edited:

nomos

Administrator
2stepfan said:
Burial's music is great, but it's not a patch on a Hatcha DJ set from 99 or 00. Real abstract garage.
But I think what's really interesting and emotive about his music is the way it references that stuff as something magical that can't be repeated. It's reflecting on lost dancefloors rather than trying to be dancefloor-functional. It's more for home or a car than a night out, I think.

2stepfan said:
Nor is it as good as DMZ, not by a long shot
DMZ, on the other hand, is magical and functional. DMZ sound like noone else these days, and people are only just starting to figure out their original blueprint. When halfstep started to become orthodoxy they started bringing back the bounce with 'Neverland,' 'Anti-War Dub,' 'New LIfe Baby Paris,' etc. I'm finding this ecstatic (not E) vibe that they pull out for tracks like that really exciting both in itself and as a direction for the music. I see DMZ are inventing the future and Burial mashing pasts back into it. I like both approaches.

2stepfan said:
I'll still be buying the CD when it's out... though I have to say, I think Dubstep Allstars Vol 3 is worthy of as much attention :)
I've been gushing about Dubstep Allstars 3 as well. So many of exciting directions in that package.

I can't really tell much about the production from the breezeblock rip and have given it a few listens...

...first impressions were WOW

I hope when i buy the album it grows on me with more listens and doesnt shrink into random background noise...

...have yet to get boxcutters oneiric but looking forward to the long term comparisons in say, 2 yrs time

t_rando33.jpg

http://home.f01.itscom.net/spiral/t_rando/t_rando1.html

mms

sometimes
DJL said:
I'm def buying the cd when it comes out but I agree its not the be all and end all. To me it conjures up the sound and feeling of the earliest point of the hardcore continuum. Like we have completed some kind of circle musically.

The problem for me with dubstep is a lack of energy. It has the sounds and the vibe but unless im smoking a lot of weed i don't really want to listen to it particularly. I appreciate the whole mediatation stance of the live setting but so what. I want to go out, do drugs, get some anger out and escape. I want to get away from the rest of my life. For me the cathartic element is key. The most important thing right now for me is a sense of movement and forward progress though.

it's not lack of - it's very different energy, a much more physical sound driven by almost visible basslines, it makes sense, with or without weed.

DJL said:
The mainstream cheese nights that dominate in the UK are ok but they don't fulfill what a lot of people really want which is something against the mainstream that is accepting of everybody feeling alienated. To a certain extent the music is secondary to the vibe at a party and at the moment that vibe is confused. To relieve confusion people need to take MDMA powder or ecstacty tablets. I'm not even joking. We have got to a point where the original guinea pigs of ecstacy consumption can report back some valid results and it seems (with the excepton of complete caners) it doesn't have a serious negative effect in the long run. Cocaine seems to have hit critical mass amongst my friends and is suddenly no longer a central stimulate as it has been for the past five years or so. Its all about ecstacy. Fuck all the bad reports. Statistically you are more likely to die from choking on a cabbage leaf - FACT. When E makes a serious comeback (which I believe it will but with powder taking more of a central stage) then we will have the scene we all want. Everything starts with an E.

people have been taking mdma power etc for ages now, you can get it easier than ever.
Ecstacy is not the answer to everything, most people are over that now i think.
Personally i think its good that mdma isn't the only 'dance' drug anymore as other drugs like ketamine, weed and lsd have produced some interesting and strange results.

The thing i like about dubstep is esp with dmz sets is the variation in drum drops and beats per bar, the contrasts, one moment you are hypnotised with a half speed spaced out track with just a vibrating bassline to keep you moving - the force hitting your belly, then a warm chord may drop and the tempo shifts up, or a warm melody line comes in, it's all suspended over bass as well, it's exciting.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
autonomicforthepeople said:
But I think what's really interesting and emotive about his music is the way it references that stuff as something magical that can't be repeated. It's reflecting on lost dancefloors rather than trying to be dancefloor-functional. It's more for home or a car than a night out, I think.
Quite true. But for me, in the final analysis, it's not as "good". Mind you, I was listening to Bass Lick last night with my new hifi needle -- that's the whole 'nuum right there in one bouncy record.
DMZ, on the other hand, is magical and functional.
Or functionally magical :).
DMZ sound like noone else these days, and people are only just starting to figure out their original blueprint.
Quite true. Listen back to "Mood Dub" and it still sounds so far ahead of the game it's almost embarassing. (I "like" Loefah more though.)
I see DMZ are inventing the future and Burial mashing pasts back into it. I like both approaches.
"Cut up the past and the future comes leaking through"

DMZ tomorrow night in Sheffield!

DJL

i'm joking
mms said:
it's not lack of - it's very different energy, a much more physical sound driven by almost visible basslines, it makes sense, with or without weed.

people have been taking mdma power etc for ages now, you can get it easier than ever.
Ecstacy is not the answer to everything, most people are over that now i think.
Personally i think its good that mdma isn't the only 'dance' drug anymore as other drugs like ketamine, weed and lsd have produced some interesting and strange results.

The thing i like about dubstep is esp with dmz sets is the variation in drum drops and beats per bar, the contrasts, one moment you are hypnotised with a half speed spaced out track with just a vibrating bassline to keep you moving - the force hitting your belly, then a warm chord may drop and the tempo shifts up, or a warm melody line comes in, it's all suspended over bass as well, it's exciting.

Fair points. Apologies for any rudeness in my posts last night - was drunk..

I still think e is a maligned drug. It has a bad rep compared to others. The whole thing of not wanting to see people gurning and off their heads stems from the popularity of US Hip Hop culture of which the majority surely has had its day amongst critical circles I hope.

Last edited:

borderpolice

D84 said:
I can definitely hear the Luomo / Delay vibe as well as the sound editing stuff.

Yes, certain parts could be straight off Vocalcity. Burial is not VD though, i'm sure, though
VD is very much into 2step/UK garage, and i can see dubstep being up his street.

borderpolice

2stepfan said:
Burial's music is great, but it's not a patch on a Hatcha DJ set from 99 or 00. Real abstract garage.

Hatcha's amazing, as an MC too. Alas i can no longer get rinse FM. Is he doing regular DJ sets anywhere these days?

Logos

Ghosts of my life
DJL said:
I've been spending some time on the Fantazia (legendary '92 rave organisation) forum and the attitude of the posters (who include one of the organisers amongst others) is unique. They stress the importance of the attitude or vibe at a party as being central to its success. The music obviously has a massive effect but not over the attitude of the crowd in the first place. Thats why grime/dubstep raves are full of blokes. Right music, wrong 'vibe'.

DMZ isn't full of blokes. And the attitude is a thousand times better than anything I've experienced at a dnb night in the past 10 years.

DJL

i'm joking
Logos said:
DMZ isn't full of blokes. And the attitude is a thousand times better than anything I've experienced at a dnb night in the past 10 years.

I think things are changing but as the genre's popularity rises and 'outsiders' come in its important to be clear about the original ethos. Core nights like DMZ need to worry less than other promotions simply because you have the hardcore dubsteppers there keeping things pointing in the right direction. Girls (not all but most) don't want to go to a night with moody, letchy blokes and threat of violence in the air. If you want it to be bigger than a small localised community scene then its something to think about. Look what happened to grime as a result of the attitude of some of its audience.