Hip-Hop - breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

mms

sometimes
adruu said:
quite easily.

i reckon there are albums that fill the cusp of underground gap, the sort of thing that students can get into easily and also reviwers can reckon they know about something underground without having to go to clubs etc , this is one of them and i reckon the various prods album will be another, moby, roni size, that scottish guy that sounds like metro area etc..

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Yeah, very pleased to hear other people not enamoured with Endtroducing! At the time I was an unabashed fan of all that Mo'Wax stuff (yes, more so than rave business or any "proper hip-hop") but thought Endtroducing was awful and still don't find any of it enjoyable.

I remember some interview with him at the time of Endtroducing where he talked about how he'd taken forever working on every detail, how it drove him nuts working so hard on all of it... and I think that's basically the easiest and clearest condemnation of the results you could ever want. Over-wrought.

adruu

This Is It
my insight there was the definition of shallow, and I admit I can barely remember the full album.

It is a business card for DJ Shadow as a DJ.

"Over-wrought" for sure, and looking back at that record collection he had access to (definition of luck!), pretty underwhelming. Should have given it to RZA (Who's soundtrack work is really dissappointing if we are knocking hiphop monuments).

Last edited:

swears

preppy-kei
I've got a mate who's a big hip hop head and he mainly dissmisses shadow because he did a track called "Why hip hop sucks in 1996" and he maintains that was a great year for hip hop. (He likes some jiggy stuff and some undie stuff btw.)

gumdrops

ive never really thought shadow was all that good as a hip hop producer to be honest - much preferred his instrumental stuff. but the beats on the outsider really are great (seeing things with david banner especially).

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Nope!

swears said:
I've got a mate who's a big hip hop head and he mainly dissmisses shadow because he did a track called "Why hip hop sucks in 1996" and he maintains that was a great year for hip hop. (He likes some jiggy stuff and some undie stuff btw.)

The last "Golden Era" of hip hop music was 1996....towards the end of 1996 the record labels, being pissed that all of this "classic material" wasn't selling started to look for more commercial acts to make their money back, by 1997 the "jiggy/shiny suit/No Limit" era began and in 1998 the "Cash Money/Bling Bling" era was kicked off...from then on everything with substance was pushed underground and has stayed there since...it started to go downward in 1996 for the EXACT reason it siad it was on Shadow's track...."It's the money!". If you were actually listening to the music at the time and understood the context in which that track was used/made he wouldn't of written off DJ Shadow because one instrumental on which only four syllables were uttered at the ABSOLUTE END. One.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Loved Endtroducing, Private Press, etc...

Ned said:
I love Endtroducing and I hate the new album. Is there actually anyone who likes both?

I haven't heard the new joint in it's entireity yet...I'll get back to you afterwards. One.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
adruu said:
my insight there was the definition of shallow, and I admit I can barely remember the full album.

It is a business card for DJ Shadow as a DJ.

"Over-wrought" for sure, and looking back at that record collection he had access to (definition of luck!), pretty underwhelming. Should have given it to RZA (Who's soundtrack work is really dissappointing if we are knocking hiphop monuments).

Oh please, get off the train! 'Ghost dog' is one of the greatest soundtracks ever. The rest I'll go with but as a sweping statement that one's wrong.

adruu

This Is It
You have got to be kidding. Ghost Dog is definitely NOT one of the greatest soundtrack EVER. Absolutely Not. Great concept, and I think Jarmusch was a genius for reaching out to him, but just that main theme is sooooo dull. My expectations were really high, and that score almost ruined a great movie for me. Granted, Cakes (w/ Kool G Rap) was a great song.

See, RZA was supposed to score Miami Vice, what happened with that? Now they are listing Organized Noize on imdb.

This is coming from the biggest RZA/Wu fan on this board I swear. No tricks.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
adruu said:
You have got to be kidding. Ghost Dog is definitely NOT one of the greatest soundtrack EVER. Absolutely Not. Great concept, and I think Jarmusch was a genius for reaching out to him, but just that main theme is sooooo dull. My expectations were really high, and that score almost ruined a great movie for me. Granted, Cakes (w/ Kool G Rap) was a great song.

See, RZA was supposed to score Miami Vice, what happened with that? Now they are listing Organized Noize on imdb.

This is coming from the biggest RZA/Wu fan on this board I swear. No tricks.

I disagree entirely. It's zen-like sparsity and off-key refrain entirely match the content of the work it was set to elucidate. If you can think of anything better that would go with it, I'd like to know. I'm not talking about the UK/US soundtrack CD release btw, I'm talking about the shit on the actual film and on the Japanese release.

big satan

HA-DO-KEN!
mms said:
i reckon there are albums that fill the cusp of underground gap, the sort of thing that students can get into easily and also reviwers can reckon they know about something underground without having to go to clubs etc , this is one of them

it's a bit pathetic to condemn a record for being accessable. especially considering this thread seems to largely be a celebration of shite like puff daddy.

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
I liked endtroducing and I'm not bothered if other people do too. This board can get way too underground-for-underground's-sake sometimes.

And that Shadow with Turf Talk and Keak is STIFF.

mms

sometimes
big satan said:
it's a bit pathetic to condemn a record for being accessable. especially considering this thread seems to largely be a celebration of shite like puff daddy.

yes i know thats why i haven't done that at any point.
I'm simply pointing out that it is one of those albums, alot of those types of record are great, im not a big fan of this one personally but i like the second one more.
already said that though.
i really couldnt give a monkeys whether a record sells 10 or 10 million if it's a good record.
not sure if anyone is bigging up p-diddy and his accessable pop rap here still.

Last edited:

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
He's very much alive.....

Diggedy Derek said:
Apparently Prodigy from Mobb Deep may have been shot dead. Can't find any confirmation anywhere yet....

There's no confirmation because he's alive...if ANYONE who was on Aftermath/Shady/Interscope was shot it'd be Yahoo! News/MTV News worthy...EVERYONE would know about it. One.

Status
Not open for further replies.