Hip-Hop - breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom pr

poisonous, i'll deffo be checking your blog out more often. that early 90s hiero stuff is some of the best hiphop ever.

linked to it from my one i just started; internationalherb. there's not a lot there right now, but i like the job i've done on the design, so hopefully it has a bright future.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Nice!

poisonous, i'll deffo be checking your blog out more often. that early 90s hiero stuff is some of the best hiphop ever.

linked to it from my one i just started; internationalherb. there's not a lot there right now, but i like the job i've done on the design, so hopefully it has a bright future.

I love the look of it a lot...my lack of Java/HTML knowledge forces me to have to step up my content like crazy. I have a lot more shit to come in the next month as well. By February, everyone with a successful blog will have to notice my grind. Once again, I'm at:

http://poisonousparagraphs.blogspot.com/

One.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I was born in 1986 and didn't really get into hip hop until 1999, however because of my great liking for and interest in hip hop, I am fairly well versed in its history. I don't primarily listen to hip hop, but it is up there with the genres of music I am most interested in and excited by.

Most of the new hip hop I hear, I hear through my mate Precious Cuts, therefore it is mostly of the Southern variety. I am coming from the perspective of someone who wasn't around at all for the "true school" era, yet I adore all the new stuff that I am growing up with and feel a much greater connection to it than the stuff of the past that I wasn't really "around" for.

No doubt hip hop has changed like all genres have changed and become re-defined since the 80s or whenever they were concieved. But, in the tradition of music being important in the way that it is so socially and culturally defining, obviously the hip hop that will define this generation will be much different in its depth and breadth than the hip hop that satisfied the cultural and social situations of those generations before us.

The fact new hip hop sits so well for me feels perfectly natural for this reason, and doesn't really make me feel the urge at all to even consider this "Hip Hop is Dead" argument for a second. This has nothing to do with a disrespect for the founders of the genre, and more perhaps with a slight contempt for their disregard for the inevitable evolution and redefinition of what they founded.

Last edited:

tom pr

I love the look of it a lot...my lack of Java/HTML knowledge forces me to have to step up my content like crazy. I have a lot more shit to come in the next month as well. By February, everyone with a successful blog will have to notice my grind.
Hah, see I just stick to the HTML to cover for the lack of content... ;)

But it's actually not that hard. Probably took me a couple of hours to figure out the basics (although I did have some help from a mate), and from that point a lot of it is just trial and error; putting the code in the right bit of the template. that widget shit complicated things though, it's much easier with classic Blogger.

But I was thinking about that Hiero stuff last night, they properly are my 2nd favourite HipHop group ever. I remember there used to (probably still is) a site with realplayer mp3s of a load of old Hiero b-sides and old singles kicking around. Still didn't know about that Pep Love Shamen thing though; the earliest I'd heard of him was on Undisputed Champs. Wasn't there a more recent Pep Love thing that didn't get properly released, and is only kicking around on mp3? Ascension 2 or something?

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
For everything Hiero related:

Hah, see I just stick to the HTML to cover for the lack of content... ;)

But it's actually not that hard. Probably took me a couple of hours to figure out the basics (although I did have some help from a mate), and from that point a lot of it is just trial and error; putting the code in the right bit of the template. that widget shit complicated things though, it's much easier with classic Blogger.

But I was thinking about that Hiero stuff last night, they properly are my 2nd favourite HipHop group ever. I remember there used to (probably still is) a site with realplayer mp3s of a load of old Hiero b-sides and old singles kicking around. Still didn't know about that Pep Love Shamen thing though; the earliest I'd heard of him was on Undisputed Champs. Wasn't there a more recent Pep Love thing that didn't get properly released, and is only kicking around on mp3? Ascension 2 or something?

Yep, but for every and anything Hiero related visit the following blog:

http://hieroglyphicsimperium.blogspot.com/

They have and know all (the cats who visit regularly as well). One.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Oh man...

So much stuff has happened in the past weeks. Camron riding a dirt bike on video, Nas' new video, Joe Budden did it again, Nas reunites The Firm (minus AZ), Pharoahe Monch made a "Gun Draws" video, Lil' Wayne got a broken jaw, Sean Price's album leaked, Mos Def's album only moves 11,000+ units in it's first week (with no packaging, video, airplay or promotion of ANY KIND from Geffen), Ego Trip's The White Rapper Show premiered, Afro Samurai premiered, Nas is trying to sign underground hero Royce the 5'9", Ras Kass lost his legal battle with Capitol Records, Lupe Fiasco made a video for "The Emperor's Soundtrack" and Game made a diss track against Dre (allegedly).

Read my blogsite when you get the chance @ http://poisonousparagraphs.blogspot.com/

One.

Last edited:

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Yep!

So much stuff has happened in the past weeks. Camron riding a dirt bike on video, Nas' new video, Joe Budden did it again, Nas reunites The Firm (minus AZ), Pharoahe Monch made a "Gun Draws" video, Lil' Wayne got a broken jaw, Sean Price's album leaked, Mos Def's album only moves 11,000+ units in it's first week (with no packaging, video, airplay or promotion of ANY KIND from Geffen), Ego Trip's The White Rapper Show premiered, Afro Samurai premiered, Nas is trying to sign underground hero Royce the 5'9", Ras Kass lost his legal battle with Capitol Records, Lupe Fiasco made a video for "The Emperor's Soundtrack" and Game made a diss track against Dre (allegedly).

Read my blogsite when you get the chance @ http://poisonousparagraphs.blogspot.com/

One.

I'm getting all types of props from bloggers for my site (which is great) and I'll be upping all types of shit next week. Check it out. One.

tate

Brown Sugar
I'm getting all types of props from bloggers for my site (which is great) and I'll be upping all types of shit next week. Check it out. One.
PD, you deserve it, it's a great blog. The selection of music is almost overwhelming (in a good way). Good to know that your efforts are being appreciated.

viktorvaughn

Just got MF Grimms 'American Hunger'. Triple CD! There is so much music here, it's going to take a while to digest! it has the fire-filled diss track on Doom on it.

BTW, didn't know Mos Def had a new LP out?

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Yep!

Just got MF Grimms 'American Hunger'. Triple CD! There is so much music here, it's going to take a while to digest! it has the fire-filled diss track on Doom on it.

Wait until Grimm gets his graphic novel deal done! His graphic novel will tell the story of his life (that and interviews of Fatal and Grimm on sites like www.unkut.com). "The Book Of Daniel" made me sad that they fell out...It happens when the money shows up, though. One.

viktorvaughn

Wait until Grimm gets his graphic novel deal done! His graphic novel will tell the story of his life (that and interviews of Fatal and Grimm on sites like www.unkut.com). "The Book Of Daniel" made me sad that they fell out...It happens when the money shows up, though. One.

I do love Grimm's style. You are right the content of the tune was sad but the tune itself was sick. I used to be a major Doom fanboy but I'm not too sure about his latest stuff.

Not heard anything about the Graphic Novel - sounds very cool though!

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Yeah, gave it a listen on a listening post yesterday. Based on a quick listen it sounded like it had some nice beats, and he's moved back to straight hip-hop from the band format... but it is straight hip-hop... and I didn't feel moved to pick it up at all.

(For the record I liked that Black Star album when it came out, haven't liked any album either of them have released since and I went from thinking Kweli was quite enjoyable to kinda hating the guy...)

Sorry for admitting to liking some "true school" stuff. ;)

gumdrops

mos' album isnt bad - its great that its just basic hip hop (beats arent spectacular but do the job) as thats what suits him best (ie not the new danger), but he sounds like hes underperforming, compared to what he could do. its a decent album though, not as terrible as everyone seems to be saying.

Last edited:

viktorvaughn

mos' album isnt bad - its great that its just basic hip hop (beats arent spectacular but do the job) as thats what suits him best (ie not the new danger), but he sounds like hes underperforming, compared to what he could do. its a decent album though, not as terrible as everyone seems to be saying.

I'll definitely check it out - 'Black on both sides' has got to be in my top ten. 'The newdanger' just sounded like a bit of a mess to me, barring 'sunshine'.

shudder

you think timbo really did rip off the demoscene dude? (although the more I think about copyright, the dumber it seems...)

any opinions on Luda's "Runaway Love"?

wreckTech

Wild Horses
in the liner notes to megalons solo record it says "to doom all i have to say is ******* ** *** ****" or some shit.

wonder how different things would be with sub roc around...i didnt know till recently he oversaw escape from monsta island

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Well...

you think timbo really did rip off the demoscene dude? (although the more I think about copyright, the dumber it seems...)

any opinions on Luda's "Runaway Love"?

Ripping off unprotected beats from up and coming producers is a regular practice (Dre, Neptunes, Timbaland) but it doesn't happen often where they run across something nice enought to jack. He gets paid, the dude goes away and shuts up about it.

As for "Runaway Love"? I liked it back when 2Pac made it...but back then it was called "Brenda Got A Baby".

One.

Status
Not open for further replies.